Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #31
ruckuschick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I am in the process of buying my first new to me Ural. I did much research and talked to lots of folks about it. I was informed about the maintenance shedule needing to be more aggressive than other bikes, I've read all the horror stories and the good stories too and yet I'm still taking the plunge. Why, for the adventure and experience of it. Do I wish the Ural was really a Honda in diguise? Yes, because I love Hondas and how trouble free all of mine have been. But did I learn a lot from any of my Hondas? Probably not as much as I will learn from my Ural. But we'll see. It's all about the experiene for me.

I don't blame this guy for writing a write-up dissing Urals. He's had a bad time with them. I might do the same if I expected so much and was sorely dissapointed. But I also read the write-ups of people taking adventures with their Urals and being more than happy with them and loving the extra tinkering they may have to do if it comes up. To each his own. I think his write-up is worth the read so people can go into buyig a Ural with their eyes open. But you must look at the larger picture and read the other stuff too and then make an adult, informed decision.

To the originator of this post, I say good luck and I hope you either come to terms with your bikes or sell them for a decent price and buy something you like better. If you buy something else, I'd love to see what you put together for a rig. Like a Honda and ????. THere s a naked wing and seat right here on Advrider I'd love to have myself!
ruckuschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #32
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Funny thread.... I am following Hubert' 10 years around the world, now on a Ural (after a BMW) and in his last report he compared his Ural with previous bikes he used... And still rides a Ural!!
The easiness he just changes his gearbox, broke it again and replaced everything again is amazing in this world of modern marvels un-fixable by the side of the road!!
I am guilty of having bought one last year, mainly to do dirt/fire roads and camping during weekends... I could not see myself/wife/dogs on a KLR and other NEW options were a lot more expensive!!! Add to this,IMHO, that Urals are the only new bikes made from the start for a sidecar and the choice get even smaller (I am not crazy about the idea of non natural "mariage" with new subframes/fork change etc).
The fact that Ural are so cool is a, big, added bonus!!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #33
roscoau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
It sounds like the OP was expecting a Honda-like experience.
More than that, I think he expected a Honda CAR experience. Had he stuck to realistic faults without going to extremes to find fault I could sympathize - no-one is going to say Urals don't have faults.

Key blanks? Readily available.
Roadside assistance? Really? I guess you want it in Indonesia too?
Leaky boot/trunk? Well yes, but a fault? It was never designed not to leak.
Kick start doesn't work for him? It appears to have worked fine for others for the last 60 years or so.

I can't recall anyone on any forum claim a buyer can expect a Honda-like experience - just the opposite in fact. Anyone thinking of a Ural can easily find out their faults and a reasonable person would go into ownership with their eyes open.

Ural - speed limits aren't a restriction, they are an achievement!
roscoau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #34
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
The wording on that is a bit tricky. I can see how you might misunderstand it. What I am saying is that the Ural is the MOST UNRELIABLE mass produced bike being sold in the USA today and that I don't think it is more reliable than any other bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
You seem to be the only person on the planet who was under the delusion that a Ural was expected or supposed to be more reliable than "any other new bike".
So you don't own a Ural but you think they're great? Vote with your dollars then.
Quote:
People want a Ural because they feel that it would be cool to have a Ural. Not because they thought a Ural would be more reliable than every other make of bike. I don't even have one, and I know this. People who want a Ural are often people who enjoy people coming up to them and saying" Wow, is that a Ural?"
Uh, they do. What's your point?
Quote:
Do they even sell Urals without sidecars? That should tell you something.
What I want is a bike that doesn't brake down on the side of the road. None of my other bikes have road side assistance either but then again I don't need it because they don't break!
Quote:
If you didn't know that sidecars can be put on other makes of bike, that is your ignorance. If you want a roadside assistance warranty, buy a car. Most motorcycles don't have such warranties (NONE of the numerous new motorcycles I've bought had one), but apparently you don't know that either.
And you're a poop head that can't separate polite discussion from pointless personal attacks.
Quote:
You're just a self-absorbed crybaby.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #35
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Congrats! I'm glad that you got one of the good ones. There are far too many people who didn't.

I wasn't expecting Honda (good lord they are fantastic). I was expecting old design with modern quality control. Rugged, rough, old tech but reliable. It seems to me that is how Ural markets the bikes. But they're quality control from paint to plastic is crap. Unexcusable mistakes being made at the factory, never checked, and passed on to customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
I have been surprised, actually, that my '05 has required less wrenching than I had anticipated - and I don't particularly baby it.

It sounds like the OP was expecting a Honda-like experience. If that is the case, no wonder he was disappointed.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #36
bokad OP
Difficult Child

There is a bit of that of that self anger frustration blah blah blah but not so much. I've learned my lesson and will move. Type 2 experience. Funny in retrospect. Just trying to give some honest info to those who are on the fence about weather to take the plunge or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janner View Post
Sounds like your frustrated and angry at yourself for not doing your own homework before you purchased your first Ural and then doubled the problem when you brought your second.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #37
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Exactly. When they were a cheap novelty you got what you paid for. Now you are paying new western bike prices and they are being marketed as equivalent when they are nowhere near.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
I think the OP's basic point is that compared to bikes of similar price, the value to money isn't quite there. ...
Old 05-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #38
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Can't argue about the arms as they are not to my taste. Have you bought any Russian winter clothing? Own any at all? Seen it?
Many russians prefer to fly to Turkey to buy their winter fur coats since they are cheaper and better made there.
Russian vodka you may buy because it sounds cool but I gotta tell you it's pretty low quality. Again, Russians prefer the imported stuff and can't imagine why a westerner with $'s would be drinking Stoli.

Anyway, not relevant to the Ural but just for giggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintSix View Post
Things I would buy both reliable and Russian.

Mosin-Nagant rifle.

AK-47

Winter clothing.

Vodka.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #39
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Thanks. To clarify, I've ridden the Patrol in the USA and Indonesia. The M70 Solo has only been ridden in the US.
The roads in Indonesia are bad not for the quality of the road surface (not great but not terrible) but for the traffic on them. Nothing overly strenuous to a motorcycle. The problems I'm kvetching about are not just from this trip but just poor quality control in general, no matter what country you ride them in.

Why does a brand new $10k solo bike arrive with a broken crash bar, a near useless speedometer, a kick start that doesn't work, and some other problem that causes water to get in the carb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin and towser View Post
He has had two of these bikes he seems to have ridden them quite a bit and wanted to ride them more but can't due to break downs he isn't just knocking them with no experience.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #40
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
It's just like marrying a big titted redhead. You have to know up front she's gonna cause you heartache. Only you can decide if the thrill is worth the pain.
The best explanation yet. I love my redheads, and I love her Ural.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #41
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Gracias! My Triumph Bonneville is the opposite of my Ural. I wasn't so hot on it at first but the more I ride it the more I appreciate it. It handles stably and well in every condition I've encountered. The transmission is super smooth. And the engine has a wide enough power band that you could be in any of 3 gears at a given speed. Fits like a glove or something like that. I hope to have a Bonneville or Scrambler done with a Watsonian or Ural-ish sidecar depending on future adventures planned.
Hondas are great for their reliability but I love the triumph styling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckuschick View Post
To the originator of this post, I say good luck and I hope you either come to terms with your bikes or sell them for a decent price and buy something you like better. If you buy something else, I'd love to see what you put together for a rig. Like a Honda and ????. THere s a naked wing and seat right here on Advrider I'd love to have myself!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #42
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Hubert is a great adventurer (among the best and going for decades) and a little different from you and me.
He has near infinite time available.
He gets free replacement parts from Ural.
He has exceptionally experienced mechanical knowledge.

To be honest I don't think accidental that more people don't use a Ural for RTW travel. Hubert could probably manage on a motorized bicycle or clown car.

I used to think the same thing about "no other bikes are made for sidecar" but the more research I do and the more hackers I meet the more I realize it's pretty normal and workable to put a sidecar on many bikes.

Glad you are enjoying your Ural. And good luck in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
Funny thread.... I am following Hubert' 10 years around the world, now on a Ural (after a BMW) and in his last report he compared his Ural with previous bikes he used... And still rides a Ural!!
The easiness he just changes his gearbox, broke it again and replaced everything again is amazing in this world of modern marvels un-fixable by the side of the road!!
I am guilty of having bought one last year, mainly to do dirt/fire roads and camping during weekends... I could not see myself/wife/dogs on a KLR and other NEW options were a lot more expensive!!! Add to this,IMHO, that Urals are the only new bikes made from the start for a sidecar and the choice get even smaller (I am not crazy about the idea of non natural "mariage" with new subframes/fork change etc).
The fact that Ural are so cool is a, big, added bonus!!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #43
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Well Bokad, you paid the price of admission twice, so you have a right to bitch. I don't know if you researched Urals before you took the plunge on two, I did, and for the price of two I would have found out exactly what I was getting into for that price!! I had two failures when new on my 2010 Gear Up, rocker arm broke and the final drive had a couple teeth come off. Both were covered under warranty, both parts shipped overnight to me, I installed them and rode on. I knew that these problems could happen to my year model, so I wasn't surprised or pissed, I had done my research. I was treated excellent by Ural America and my dealer, end of issue. Since then 11k kilos and all is well........Thing is I knew what I bought and what could happen, so nothing can surprise me or piss me off.

I bought a new 2000 VMax, it had a high speed wobble(common) that I couldn't get rid of. Yamaha told me too bad. Then it had a known flaw with the ignition pick up module, just out of warranty it failed and stranded me 2500 miles from home. Yami told me too bad, so I bought the $225 part and put it in myself. Sold that bike, was sick of the crap.

Bought a new Suzuki VStrom 1000 in 2005, right off the dealer floor it ran like crap, coughing and spitting at the 3k rpm range. Common well known problem, so I bought a $300 Power Commander and fixed that issue. Later Suzuki came out with a fix, too late for me. The suspension on that bike was horrible, so after awhile instead of dumping a bunch of money into it, I sold it.

Bought a 2007 HD Electraglide Classic, the fuel injection runs so lean on them I'm surprised the engine doesn't melt in the first week, heheh. Put a FI tuner on it and now it's fine.

My Beemer friends, they had the dreaded surging issues, final drive failures, driveline slop, ABS issues and then problems with the LT series. There's already recalls on the new 1600s. Oh well......

So for me it's just try to be informed as much as possible before you put the money down, even then if things don't go right for you, sell whatever POS it is that's driving you nuts and move on. I think for you maybe one Ural for fun, and one Japanese bike to fill in the rest of the time and give you some peace of mind.

Although they are super easy to work on, having two Urals is a tall order for maintenance and such. For me, one is enough, and I really like my crude Russian motorcycle, I know what I bought and I'm fine with that.

I''m sure you knew this thread would generate some flames, enjoy.....
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #44
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Great thread!

I own a 2007 Patrol and it is the most enjoyable vehicle I have ever owned...and I recently bought a Pinzgauer. I have ridden it down the Trans Labrador...and back, into the States many times, through the Dragon, and recently to San Fransisco (I am from Ottawa, Canada), up the PCH, through Oregon, Washington State, Idaho, Montana, up into Alberta and back home through Canada. Just under 12000KM. I had one bike related issue, a bearing that went on me, but I had it replaced in Santa Clara. I had about 4 flats, but that was due to my neglect of a spoke. I still grin when I think about that trip.

Are there quality issues? Yup. Have I bitched about certain things on the bike? Yup, but IMWA is also the most responsive manufacturer, of any kind, I have ever dealt with. I own a 2010 Chevy Silverado and I am on my third head gasket, 3 spark plug fowlings and a few other things. Does GM acknowledge I have a bad head? Nope...just fixing the symptoms.

I am a huge participant in online forums, especially for the Ural. I even "own" one. In my 'Ural travels,' I have come across many, many, many Ural owners who do not participate in any online community, and they have not had any issues with their bikes. Imagine that. Like in life, the minority always speaks louder than the majority.

I am sure you will find a buyer for your bike(s), but I hope you point them to this thread before they make such an uninformed decision.....of course you won't.
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #45
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Which faults were extremes? I mean specifically. I'm willing to compromise and revise.

Key blanks... I contacted Ural directly, they didn't respond. I contact my Ural dealership, they didn't have any and didn't know where they could be had. I contacted a few other dealerships, same response. I searched for answers in the forums. Hit or miss, none of those worked for me. I went to several custom locksmiths, no dice.
Please let me know, where do you get your Ural key blanks?

Roadside assistance. No, I don't expect that for myself. What I'm pointing out to potential owners is that when they do brake down, even though they have a warranty, there will expense to them.

Kick start.... devil is in the details dude! You gotta read closely before you complain. I said the kick start doesn't work on my M70 Retro Solo. You ever had one of those? Little bit different from your standard Ural. Not even the dealer could get it to kick start and if the dealer can't get it to work then that's what I call broken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoau View Post
More than that, I think he expected a Honda CAR experience. Had he stuck to realistic faults without going to extremes to find fault I could sympathize - no-one is going to say Urals don't have faults.

Key blanks? Readily available.
Roadside assistance? Really? I guess you want it in Indonesia too?
Leaky boot/trunk? Well yes, but a fault? It was never designed not to leak.
Kick start doesn't work for him? It appears to have worked fine for others for the last 60 years or so.

I can't recall anyone on any forum claim a buyer can expect a Honda-like experience - just the opposite in fact. Anyone thinking of a Ural can easily find out their faults and a reasonable person would go into ownership with their eyes open.