Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #121
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
So you've been to Russia? Lived there maybe? You buy some other Russian products? You don't think there are quality control issues with almost everything made in that country? Sure it's not NICE to say that as a whole the country has huge QC issues. True though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBlues View Post
You know, the more bokad posts replies, the more inconsistencies appear with his comments. The more generalizations and dissing of all things Russian...
Yep, that sounds very Ural indeed. Needing to replace the cylinder I mean.
Quote:
I've seen Ural owners replace cylinders in a campground on the ground covered in pine needles while drinking Baltika #9s
Blah blah blah... why so defensive and petty? Is this the part where I'm supposed to list my credentials to meet your approval? Talk about war zones and bombs and park benches I've slept on? Will it be enough adventure for you? Will I get your approval then?
Do you really need to personally denigrate people that don't like the bike you own to reassure yourself?
Quote:
The more you post, bokad, the more it is apparent that you are certainly not capable of wrenching, let alone adventuring anywhere that doesn't have maid service and your special kind of bar soap in the hotel rooms you would have to stay in. You talk like you are a well-versed world traveller, you had me fooled. Most people that fit in that category just book the trip with a tour guide and ride in the bus...
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #122
bokad OP
Difficult Child

I agree with all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaDakota View Post
Do I think they are cool – yes.
Would I like to have one – yes, especially a pumpkin/pink GU!!
Would I buy a new one – no.

Yes, I am mechanical and yes I am familiar with Soviet and Russian things however I have watched Ural price themselves out for me. For a decked out GU, they are approaching 15k; in my opinion too much for what you get. The GU name is a problem as well however that is another topic…

I get my sidecar fix at a much better cost point.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #123
bokad OP
Difficult Child

I mean that sincerely. I hope she will start her trip soon so I can read the report! Sounds like she is going to have a great adventure with two bikes and some dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermos View Post
HUH?

Seems a little harsh?

Bored in Indonesia?

-T
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #124
Oldmanriding
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Let me know when your back and we will talk about your M-70. Maybe we can help each other out. I have traveled the 3rd world and understand the QC issues of which you speak. But I'm done traveling and a Ural would be a hobby bike for me. I hope the rest of your trip goes more smoothly.
Oldmanriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #125
uraldog
vagabond

Oddometer: 405
PM me

waiting to Bid/buy the M70 PM me when ready to get rid of it
uraldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #126
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
That is a great quote and Ural description.
"the common things it can't do..."
Wow, you are a piece of work.

I'm not the brightest BB in the box, and it only took me a couple of hours of browsing the on line forums to have a solid understanding of what Urals are all about.

It just amazes me that you have the ability to aquire the means to do what you have done, yet be so lacking in judgment in how to use it, or the character to take responsibility to your mistakes.

Ural builds Urals for folks who want Urals, if a Ural isn't right for you that's ok, but really who's fault is that?
Old 05-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #127
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
"I am always amazed at how forgiving Ural owners are"

If you go into Ural ownership with your eyes open, yes you are forgiving, you know what you are buying,It's a well known fact that if your new Ural is gonna break, it'll happen quick after you buy it. Guzzis have a sorting out period too. It's the same for guys that buy Ducatis. No one else makes a bike that is like these limited production bikes, they do have warts, but riding them is satisfying far beyond just riding a soulless sewing machine. Certain people like the weirdness of off brands and put up with whatever comes there way. Before I bought mine, Ural, Guzzis or anything else, I read every forum and every post in those forums so I know what is up and what could happen. By 1600kms I had my two failures, with Ural America's help, they were fixed in record time, since then nothing else has happened. Pretty much what I expected.......

Some of the problems you listed could be easily sorted by yourself if you knew how to wrench. In the time you've spent screwing around here you could have shimmed your needles, put in larger main jets, gone over the bikes and tightened up what is probably some loose hose clamps, just a little participation and viola, smooth running Ural....I know, they should come perfect from the factory, and the dealer should cater to your every need, but in the real world it isn't like that in 98% of any m/c dealerships.
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #128
JohnBG
Slow Moving Three Wheeler

Oddometer: 259
Sheesh bokad why don't you post this on Soviet Steeds? You about linked to everything else.

Got to any KLR or Harley (or any other motorcycle forum) and you will find a section full of problems that people have with them. Ural is not unique in that respect.

If ya thought Urals sucked so bad, why did you buy two new ones?

If sure if you want to sell your Urals, there are folks here at ADV or Soviet Steeds that will take them off your hands.

'98.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" (the blonde)
'06 Ural Raven 750 2WD - "Vorona" (the brunette)

Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Collective Forums
An independent site for Ural/Dnepr Enthusiasts
Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums
Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries
JohnBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #129
Paint shaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
I somewhat agree the price of a new Ural is a bit steep for what you are getting. But then again the price of everything is going up!

Before I bought my Ural (a 1997 unit with a 2008 motor/trans/final drive/ducati igntion built by a very reputable dealer) I did a LOT of research. I looked for the good, the bad and the down right ugly. It never occurred to me during my research to compare a Ural (even a new one) to ANY brand new motorcycle. I drew my comparisions to the BMWs, Dneprs, Zundapps, Harley WLAs and XAs of the era (30s-40s). I considered if I could I even find one of these other units, the price, the price and availabilty of parts, the reliability and people who had real knowledge of any of those old units.

In my dream world where money is no object, the Ural would not have been my first choice. Since I am not independently wealthy, the Ural was my real world choice. It is not a perfect motorcycle. I do not claim to be a mechanic. But I am pretty good at changing parts. Have I taken something apart and made panic'd phone calls to my reputable dealer? Yup? Did I need to? Probably not, as the answer provided was very near what I was thinking or readily found on the www.

That being said, I am glad you started this thread. There is some truth through out it, some fiction and some opinion. There are some things in the thread that would have made me do more research, but nothing that would have scared me away from a Ural. I truly hope potential new Uralists read it as part of their research. I am not hear to tell them what bike to buy.

I also hope that you find a motorcycle that is more suited to your expectations.

www.paintshakerracing.com

Paint shaker screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 05:39 PM
Paint shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #130
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,289
Quote:
Dang! That was recorded?!?

I knew he had recorded it, and it was just a matter of time before it showed up here.

I don't recall any Urals breaking that weekend, in spite of the rough treatment. QBall doesn't count, since his arrived broken.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #131
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy bokad,

I know you have had some problems and you have made some valid points that many of us Uralistas have been complaining about for years. That said some of your other observations miss the mark completely. Its clear that the Ural is not a machine your comfortable with so sell it to someone who can appreciate it for what it is.
To add something to Mr Cobs post, you probably dont want a klr either. Damn, I sure want a Ural now. You guys got me yearning for a sense of adventure. Improving the bike is part of the enjoyment. Be different if it threw a rod every 2,000 miles but it appears to be a bunch of little stuff for the most part.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #132
smelick
Once you hack...

Oddometer: 76
I agree with Davide.. There are plenty of "new" reputable manufactured motorcycles to date built on 1940's technology. To mention a few.

Genuine Scooters:
http://www.genuinescooters.com/
Made in India

Royal Enfield:
http://www.royalenfield.com/
Made in India

Ridley Motorcycle
http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com/
United States

And others companies may produce a model as such. Triumph Bonneville, Indian Chief Vintage, The Whizzer, the uber cool albeit limited Falcon, etc. etc.. come to mind.

Most of the above provide warranties, dealers, parts and service to those of us who live in the States that is above and beyond your run-of-the mill Chinese knock off.

Point is there is definitely a niche market for new low technology motorcycles in this world. A well informed buyer should know this and accept some risk when looking to buy a Ural.

Likewise, every company will produce lemons, I am wondering what your dealer said when you let them know about the quality of your Urals?

-Scott

http://www.scooter-sidecars.com/
smelick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #133
ruckuschick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Well Bokad you certainly know how to start and host a lively thread.
ruckuschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #134
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint shaker View Post
I somewhat agree the price of a new Ural is a bit steep for what you are getting. But then again the price of everything is going up!
A Urals price is about the economic realities of volume, not "value".

If you compair a Urals price to other low volume, hand built specialty bikes like Rokon, Confederate, Big Dog, or custom built sidecar rigs then their price seems like a real bargain. Ural builds around 1000 rigs a year, they just don't benefit from the advantages of volume the way a manufacturer who builds !00,000 or a 1000000 bikes a year does.

Look at what it costs to have DMC, or CSM do a custom rig, A lot of folks end up $30 K - $40 K into their rigs. Is that over priced compared to a Ural T's $10 K price tag? Certainly not, those custom rigs are carefully hand built in very small volumes, they dont do it as a public service or charity, they charge what they need it to provide the product and turn a profit the same as Ural.

Price, fair value, and value to an individual are very different things.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #135
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
A Urals price is about the economic realities of volume, not "value".

If you compair a Urals price to other low volume, hand built specialty bikes like Rokon, Confederate, Big Dog, or custom built sidecar rigs then their price seems like a real bargain. Ural builds around 1000 rigs a year, they just don't benefit from the advantages of volume the way a manufacturer who builds !00,000 or a 1000000 bikes a year does.

Look at what it costs to have DMC, or CSM do a custom rig, A lot of folks end up $30 K - $40 K into their rigs. Is that over priced compared to a Ural T's $10 K price tag? Certainly not, those custom rigs are carefully hand built in very small volumes, they dont do it as a public service or charity, they charge what they need it to provide the product and turn a profit the same as Ural.

Price, fair value, and value to an individual are very different things.
Perhaps you'd like to compare Irbit wages with North American wages and recalculate the price differential? Also DMC and CSM do ACTUAL custom outfits - not churn out 800 of the essentially same model. Try comparing apples to apples NOT apples to Chinese Gooseberries.
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote