Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #166
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
From asking several dealers the answer is around 800 to 1500 Urals produced per YEAR currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmanriding View Post
I would like to see the proof of that. 52,000 Urals a year? Hard to believe.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #167
bokad OP
Difficult Child

Well, this has been fun!

Lots of personal attacks.
Lots of blah blah blah.

Very little of people actually explaining how the Ural is not one of the most unreliable new production bikes sold in the USA.

Lots of people complaining that it's not nice to say Russia has bad quality control.

Very little of people showing that it doesn't

Anything new to add or can we wrap this drama up?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #168
bokad OP
Difficult Child

And why does it seem that many of the people extolling the virtues of Ural and claiming that it is good value have older cheaper Urals?

If a new Ural is a great value fore the price, why don't you get one?

I'm beginning to understand now! Yes, if you bought a used Ural, warts and all, for a few thousand dollars it's not a bad deal. If you paid $14,000 for a new one and it has some warts, not so great.

bokad screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 03:53 AM
Old 05-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #169
robclarke
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoau View Post
A nice mix of truth, misinformation and outright lies... I guess this means you're going to hang around and do your best to badmouth Urals wherever they are mentioned? You have already shown you have too much time on your hands.

I like my Ural.
Agree. Rob.
robclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #170
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Brit asking a question here. Can you buy a new Ural in all of your states? I understand there is one that you cant. So, if Ural's are so good why are they not available bale country wide?
I believe you are probably thinking of California, which would likely be due to emissions standards. If so, Ural wouldn't be the only vehicle you can't buy there. At one point you couldn't buy diesel cars there.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using Typotalk 2
Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #171
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
It's no secret alcohol (vodka) is a major problem in Russia. Is it an issue at the Ural factory? I think we would have to say, probably.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #172
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,457
Take this with a grain of salt as I have never owned a Ural or an outfit, but by the sound of things your dealer has let you down as well. In my opinion your ural should have been tuned correctly from the outset, I understand they are tuned lean to meet emissions laws but once money has changed hands and the contract is signed, a decent experienced dealer should go right over the bike making sure everything is right, including tuning and jetting. Same with the solo, if they can't kick start it, they should be rectifying it!
As far as adding a sidecar to another bike, don't forget that if the tug is new, you may as well throw the warranty out the window, because I don't think anyone is going to honor it!.
Good luck with everything, I hope you keep going on your journey as I am enjoying the ride report. I hope once you get these issues sorted out the ural gets you the rest of the way there with a minimum of fuss.
Paul.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:00 AM   #173
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I had a 2005 Patrol. Owned it for five years. Sold it for close to what I paid for it. Basically was a very fun free ride. Bought a 2010 Gear Up. Having an absolute blast! I can't even put in words how I've enjoyed my Ural. Bokad, if and when you sell your Urals I hope you get the price you want. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at your ROI on your Ural investment. I hope your sale isn't negitively effected by this thread. Much luck yo you. Happy trails...
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #174
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
Well, this has been fun!

Lots of personal attacks.
Lots of blah blah blah.

Very little of people actually explaining how the Ural is not one of the most unreliable new production bikes sold in the USA.

Lots of people complaining that it's not nice to say Russia has bad quality control.

Very little of people showing that it doesn't

Anything new to add or can we wrap this drama up?
No personal attacks from me, but I will keep defending the two Urals that I've owned. I've been around wrenches for almost 40 years and have rebuilt car and bike engines, trannys and everything else. I know junk and decent stuff. Both of MY Urals have been decent machines that haven't required any fixing or "tinkering" in many thousands of miles.
If I were to go by forum problems I'd be afraid to buy anything ever made including BMWs.
I am sorry to hear that the Ural hasn't worked out for the OP. If I were to plan a trip like that I'd probably pick a lightweight two wheeler. By his ride report description it sounds like any sidecar rig would be frustrating on those hills and traffic. For that matter, that trip by any means would find me wishing I'd picked another place to see. Too much rain, people, traffic and filth for me.
Best of luck on a better ending to this trip.
Tom

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #175
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Damn, haven't had so much fun since I farted in a crowed elevator!

4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #176
Slug.go
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokad View Post
And why does it seem that many of the people extolling the virtues of Ural and claiming that it is good value have older cheaper Urals?

If a new Ural is a great value fore the price, why don't you get one?

I'm beginning to understand now! Yes, if you bought a used Ural, warts and all, for a few thousand dollars it's not a bad deal. If you paid $14,000 for a new one and it has some warts, not so great.
Let me know when you're selling the outfit.
Interesting debate, thanks for starting it. Enjoy your trip!
Slug.go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #177
Marvin and towser
Plain Mr. Botany (B)

Oddometer: 52
I don't have a Ural but have looked and admired plenty. The OP has admitted to frustration when starting this tread but I think he has a point. The new 750cc models are marketed as MUCH more reliable when in reality they are probably just more reliable. Everyone knows you are going to be spending more time with tools in your hands with a URAL but if with the new design this was pretty much limited to the shorter time between services than other bikes I don't think anyone would complain. (In fact I change the oil on my Honda every 1000 miles and do the filter and screens at the same time as my Honda has a top end that is notorious for needing exactly the correct amount of clean oil so URAL has no mayor disadvantage there. The difference is perhaps that my bike was the Uk equivelent of $2000 with 17K on the clock so I don't mind doing the maintenance. I knew about the weak or rumoured to be weak top end when I bought the bike and its accepted as a trade off for a cheap combination.) It is very easy to be taken in by the cool looks of a Ural and by the hype concerning how much better they are now with the 750 so it is useful to get the views of people who have owned them both good and bad. I'm sure someone else will get the his rigs and have a blast with them. The OP has not been put off riding by this experience and admits he bought them because he liked the looks but they were not for him, he is asking questions in other threads about different chairs and bikes and I'm sure he will find an outfit to suit him. Some bikes just are not for some people I had a BMW K100 for a while. In the time I had it the rear break switch failed and that was it, it was smooth capable and fast but I never gelled with it, if you asked my why I sold it I couldn't tell you. This thread may tip some people away from buying a URAL, they are probably the people who won't enjoy it anyway. So the OP has probably saved some people from cash and in the end may have helped URAL by making sure that people who buy them are not disappointed as they go in eyes open and become ambassadors.

Marvin and towser screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 08:40 AM
Marvin and towser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #178
MartyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
When was the last time you got head on a motorcycle while going 60 mph down the road? Urals rock!
MartyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #179
Marvin and towser
Plain Mr. Botany (B)

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyL View Post
When was the last time you got head on a motorcycle while going 60 mph down the road? Urals rock!

Careful the ATGATT guys will be jumping in demanding that you are wearing the proper protection.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #180
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Prmurat is online now   Reply With Quote