Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #12976
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDRZ View Post
I believe the start button now acts as a timmer when engine is running but I haven't tried it.
Not familiar with this term; can you please elaborate?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #12977
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Thank you, good link photo's also! I assume the soldered bits were the contact points for the old button. Did the modification allow the origional button to still operate?
Have you tested it? I'm guessing you leave the A button in the function you like and the new B will reset on the fly?
For and adventure bike they should have incorporated it into the start button. I believe the start button now acts as a timmer when engine is running but I haven't tried it. I thought I read that in the manual briefly before I just jumped on the thing and went to my local gravel pit!
Instrument pod button still works.
Yes fully tested & working as it should. The remote button has the full button B functionality.
Don't know where you got the timer idea from but the starter switch on the 800 is just a starter switch.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #12978
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post

you can always count on urban dictionary for the answer, or a few

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Timmer
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #12979
BillDRZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Lap timer

Quote:
I'll check my manual again and see if the function works. As I thought I read it the start button acts as a lap timer while the engine is running. I'll test on way home from work and report. I apologize for misspelling of "timer".
BillDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #12980
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
Quote:
I'll check my manual again and see if the function works. As I thought I read it the start button acts as a lap timer while the engine is running. I'll test on way home from work and report. I apologize for misspelling of "timer".
Well, I'll be.

Page 39 of my owner's manual states:

"With the engine running, the starter button functions as the lap timer 'trigger' button. Momentarily pressing the starter button will start the lap timer recording the next lap."

Bravo for remembering that! I'll have to give it a test to see how it functions.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #12981
Stein67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Well, I'll be.

"With the engine running, the starter button functions as the lap timer 'trigger' button. Momentarily pressing the starter button will start the lap timer recording the next lap."

Bravo for remembering that! I'll have to give it a test to see how it functions.
Used to use it on my Daytona when I was actually timing laps.

'12 800 XC
Stein67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #12982
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, I'll be.

Well bugger me with a fish fork. My apologies for my previous statement. Will have to try it tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #12983
Meles meles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Well, I'll be.

Don't believe everything you read in the owner's manual. There is also a caption #6 for "Gear Change Lights" in the diagram of the instrument panel layout. Most likely bad editing from the manual for the Daytona 675, which does have all those features.
Meles meles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #12984
Meles meles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Nice pic and great set up. But how does that work out going off road? Seems to me you have no room to move around. I like to be able to shift my weight back without luggage restricting movement or distracting me when I feel it there.

Shifting weight back is especially useful going down steep downhills.

For this reason I prefer soft panniers and a top duffel set back on the rear rack ... where it belongs. No other diddy bags or bed rolls hanging off anywhere are needed because everything can fit in the panniers or big duffel. Not fond of a tank bag for off roading either. I had one on my Vstrom but it was very low profile, still took a while to adapt to.

I can see using Giant Loop bags on a real dirt bike (for which they were designed) that has NO sub frame. But the 800 XC has a good, strong sub frame, no problem loading it up a bit further back from where the the GL's hang.

I rode with a friend riding a KTM. He had GL's on. They stayed put pretty well but access is not good. If you happen to need something stashed deep in one lobe, its hard to get to. There are no separate compartments, everything is just crammed into one space ... a pretty small space as it turns out. Works good on dirt bikes though, but for mostly On Road touring, I prefer other systems. YMMV!
Can't say either bag bothered me when up on the pegs but riding Potash Road/Shafer Trail is about as off-road as I go. Your points are all valid, particularly about trying to access things packed in the GL, which I found a pain. Tank bags are a love/hate thing for most people. I could not live without one as I take a lot of pictures and like to stash an SLR in there for quick access. Not convinced the Triumph bag is the best out there but it works.
Meles meles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #12985
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meles meles View Post
Don't believe everything you read in the owner's manual. There is also a caption #6 for "Gear Change Lights" in the diagram of the instrument panel layout. Most likely bad editing from the manual for the Daytona 675, which does have all those features.
I tried the timer function on my way home from work. No worky.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #12986
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I tried the timer function on my way home from work. No worky.
Ditto. Bad Triumph - copy & paste job.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #12987
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
The most astonishing thing to me, is that with all the study, we and the uk forum had put into this bike, no one noticed that until now!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #12988
BillDRZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Lap timer no worky!

Tested function last night manual is wrong.
BillDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #12989
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,987
Seats!

I've seen some of the seats in this thread from Corbin & saddleman. I'm wondering what your impressions are of the above, and whether you have gone the custom route? I had a Bill Mayer on my GS that was great. Also had a Sargent once upon a time, and that seat really fit my ass Too bad they're dragging their feet on production
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #12990
Krieg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
I've seen some of the seats in this thread from Corbin & saddleman. I'm wondering what your impressions are of the above, and whether you have gone the custom route? I had a Bill Mayer on my GS that was great. Also had a Sargent once upon a time, and that seat really fit my ass Too bad they're dragging their feet on production
I just got my custom Corbin 2 weeks ago and my wife absolutely loves it compared to the stock and gel OEM passenger seats. I'm still getting used to it, but my first impression is that it's a bit harder than I would have wanted. Most reports say they break-in well over a few months. As long as momma is happy, I'm happy!
Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote