Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 714
Need a new easy GPS

Used my rei 20% off coupon and dividend from last year and bought topo 24k northeast map last weekend. Long story short I realized that that my 11 year old etrex vista c is not what I really want now that im riding a bike and not in a jeep. Before I would just use the GPS to get my lat and lon and find myself on paper maps. Not very practical for moto travel.

So what I want is a gps that has all the back roads of PA, dirt included that I can just leave on while I ride and if i get to somewhere I don’t know I can see where it goes and stuff like that. Im not sure I want to be able to make my own routes beforehand because im not sure I can even do it. It seems all this GPS software is Greek to me and not very intuitive.
Any ideas?
would like it to be under a grand all in as well.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
Any ideas?

would like it to be under a grand all in as well.
Check the Garmin Montana. Link's in my sig to a short topic with most of what you need to know.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Check the Garmin Montana. Link's in my sig to a short topic with most of what you need to know.
Already read it. Was one of the ones i was thinking about. However with the base map that comes with it will it have all the back and dirt roads on it just like a real topo map from the USGS? and if it does what version of the maps will i be looking at? i have old topo maps from the 40's-50's that show lots of roads that the latest generation maps don't show that are still navigable by bike.

And do I understand correctly that you don’t make a route you just tell it where you want to go and it finds it way correct? And you can pick which type of roads to use?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,725
Quote:
Already read it. Was one of the ones i was thinking about. However with the base map that comes with it will it have all the back and dirt roads on it just like a real topo map from the USGS? and if it does what version of the maps will i be looking at? i have old topo maps from the 40's-50's that show lots of roads that the latest generation maps don't show that are still navigable by bike.

And do I understand correctly that you don’t make a route you just tell it where you want to go and it finds it way correct? And you can pick which type of roads to use?
The BaseMap in the Montana is fairly useless, but the 24K Topos you bought would work well on the Montana, and there are many other map alternatives, including some free ones in the OSM world.

Re: Routes - the Montana can be used to build routes, or navigate tracks, or just navigate to other locations on the fly. There are far more ways to navigate than I have time to write about.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

i thought it came with topo 100 maps or are they not as good as 24k maps? and i don't want to build routes i want to pick a place and it tell me how to get there without taking main roads.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,018
Quote:
i thought it came with topo 100 maps or are they not as good as 24k maps? and i don't want to build routes i want to pick a place and it tell me how to get there without taking main roads.
Only the 650T comes with the 100K topo maps (not all that useful) pre-loaded, the 600 and 650 do not.

As for having it build a route without main roads, you can tell it to avoid interstate highways or avoid anything but narrow trails or unpaved roads, but beyond that, what is your definition of a "main road" and what should it do if "you can't get there from here" based on your avoidance requirements?

Creating routes that go where you want instead of just selecting a destination is really pretty simple...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 10:50 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
dmaxmike OP
former quadtard.

my definition of a main road is any road with lines on it. i only have a little XT so 50mph is about its max comfy limit. if any of those Montana units can be set to avoid all paved roads well that works even better! i am sure i could learn how to build my own routes and tracks and whatnot but telling it where i want to go and to take me there without using any roads beyond old county tar and chip and dirt sounds like a pretty easy way to kill an afternoon or weekend for that matter.