User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,859
Dirt riding nOOb

OK, I'm a dirt riding nOOb and I fall - a lot - but I am getting better. Trying to learn a new skill, especially a physical one, when you're old, fat and out of shape may not always go well. Saturday was one of those days This weekend was the famous Orca Run on Vancouver Island - 140km of off pavement riding - everything from wide, smooth gravel logging roads to overgrown tracks through the forest. The organizers had warned us that it was harder than previous years, even the C route. This was my first time at the rally so I left the Wee at home and loaded up the WR250 instead. This was my 11th ride off-pavement on the WR

One section was a rocky, fairly steep climb and the rock was pretty loose. I was going pretty well when I hit a big rock and went sideways. Down I went on the rocks and the bike fell on top of my leg. I was wearing knee and hip armour but I landed on the rocks on the outside of my knee and the handlebar hit just above the inside of my knee. It took me a few minutes to get up - it friggin' hurt! I was a the tail end of a small group and they were around a corner above me so no one saw me crash. Another friend came along a couple of minutes later and helped me pick up my bike and get mounted up. I said I'd hurt my knee and he said the lunch stop wasn't far and they could truck me out from there. No way, man! I did ride another 5 hours that day When I arrived back at camp my knee wouldn't really bend anymore and was swollen up to 3 or 4 times normal Ibuprofen, ice and a couple of rusty nails made everything seem a lot rosier - thanks Derek and Lars

Sunday I rode home (about an hour and a half). The knee still didn't want to bend so once I got my foot on the peg I just kept it there and used my other leg to hold the bike up when stopped A trip to emergency confirmed nothing broken or torn. Today it looks pretty spectacular though.

I see better armour in my future
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,478
holy crap cowgirl!

what don't kill ya makes ya tougher!
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
selkirkswamper
hellbilly

Oddometer: 142
hope your feeling better,

similar thing happened to me yesterday (Sunday) I've recently purchased a honda xr650L to ride the dirt roads in the area and commute to work etc (I've been riding for 30 some years). Well not having ridden on the "trails" in the last 20 some years proved to be interesting, I was alone in a State Forest the front end washed out and off I went landed mostly on my knees but somehow slammed my left shoulder pretty hard into terra firma. A bit sore today the bike is OK (bent the handle bars I think), my left knee is kind of tweaked as well. Second the better riding gear.......
selkirkswamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Migolito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
You say you were wearing "armor". What kind? Soft or Hard? If I was you, I'd invest in some real MC hard armor until you get a little more experience in the dirt.
Migolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migolito View Post
You say you were wearing "armor". What kind? Soft or Hard? If I was you, I'd invest in some real MC hard armor until you get a little more experience in the dirt.
Yes, you're right - and it's already on the shopping list. I was wearing soft armour. It was supposed to be a "C" ride I'll have to modify ATGATT to ATRGATT - All the RIGHT gear, all the time. A fellow on the ride had the Acerbis Evo knee guards - I'm leaning that way
A Cougar goes racing
Old 05-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
Migolito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Years ago I had a 3 wheeler Honda 185s. You know, those damn things that can kill you real quick! Anyway, I wore full height MC boots w/ hard shin protectors, Armored pants with hard thigh hip AND butt protectors. A full on chest and back protector, elbow and wrist protectors, etc. Yea, I looked like the Michelin Man. One day I was flying down a dirt road about 50 mph that literally disappeared into a washout. I remember thinkin 'oh shit' then I remember flipping over many times. I never lost consciousness. My Helmet was cracked (which explains a lot) and my vented clothing was shredded. I was bleeding all over from abrasions. But, nothing was broken. Except the Honda :(
I ride AGATT on my Goldwing now probably because of my wreck 30 years ago. I admire your grit.
Migolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Ouch

Ouch, I hope you heal quickly. Take care of your knee. My wife recently fell on her CRF230L . She's not big on wearing her safety gear, however she was fairly decked out at the time and although her boots, jacket, gloves and even purse got pretty roughed-up, she could've come out worse than she did.

As it was, her knee was a bit scrapped and she suffered prolonged pain and swelling. Turns out she cracked her kneecap. She's been nursing it for 3 or 4 months at least. Moral of the story is, go get your knee checked out by a doctor. X-Rays, or MRI should be recommended.
BTW, right after she fell, a passing truck ran the bike over. It didn't fare so well either.

RZ Rob

RZRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #8
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Ouch, I hope you heal quickly. Take care of your knee. My wife recently fell on her CRF230L . She's not big on wearing her safety gear, however she was fairly decked out at the time and although her boots, jacket, gloves and even purse got pretty roughed-up, she could've come out worse than she did.

As it was, her knee was a bit scrapped and she suffered prolonged pain and swelling. Turns out she cracked her kneecap. She's been nursing it for 3 or 4 months at least. Moral of the story is, go get your knee checked out by a doctor. X-Rays, or MRI should be recommended.
BTW, right after she fell, a passing truck ran the bike over. It didn't fare so well either.

RZ Rob

Thanks Rob, I did go to emergency yesterday afternoon and the doctor gave me a thumbs up. Nothing broken, cracked or torn, just lots of swelling and bruising. It feels better this evening after a day on the couch although walking is a bit of an ordeal.
A Cougar goes racing
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Husky Varmit
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
Yes, you're right - and it's already on the shopping list. I was wearing soft armour. It was supposed to be a "C" ride I'll have to modify ATGATT to ATRGATT - All the RIGHT gear, all the time. A fellow on the ride had the Acerbis Evo knee guards - I'm leaning that way
When I saw that rocky section (looked like a downhill) that you took the picture standing at the top of - literally my first thought was 'Cindy is gonna eat it a few times on that ride.'

Off road gear is a REALLY hard thing to find the correct point. Too much and you have the mobility of a medieval knight, too little and you end up being a walking scab. One of the beauties of riding off road is that very few crashes end up in mortality - you may be on crutches for a few weeks, but you are still breathing.

You're on the right track (pun intended). Keep pushing that WR into places where you aren't comfortable, get a few more scrapes and bruises and in a little while the noobs will be asking you for advice. That is the law of the universe. We MUST learn enough to pass on some of it to those who come after us.

Husky Varmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky Varmit View Post
When I saw that rocky section (looked like a downhill) that you took the picture standing at the top of - literally my first thought was 'Cindy is gonna eat it a few times on that ride.'

Off road gear is a REALLY hard thing to find the correct point. Too much and you have the mobility of a medieval knight, too little and you end up being a walking scab. One of the beauties of riding off road is that very few crashes end up in mortality - you may be on crutches for a few weeks, but you are still breathing.

You're on the right track (pun intended). Keep pushing that WR into places where you aren't comfortable, get a few more scrapes and bruises and in a little while the noobs will be asking you for advice. That is the law of the universe. We MUST learn enough to pass on some of it to those who come after us.
Thanks! Last June I took a 1 day course on the V-Strom then did a 1,000km, 3 day rally. I rode with a couple of people from that ride this time and they commented on how much I had improved which made me feel pretty good. You know I'm going to keep pushing beyond my comfort level until I get proficient. Next year I want to be able to do the "B" loop
Oh yeah, in addition to some new gear I'm going to switch that 17" front for a bigger wheel. I'm told that will help
A Cougar goes racing
Old 05-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
UNO_RIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
That's one nasty looking bruise. Glad you're okay---for the most part.

Seems to me that you'll need a bigger bike and/or upgrade your suspension for your next adventure. I'm not sure how much you weigh, but suspension will work wonders if you're heavier than the average raider. Trust me on this....suspension, with proper springs rate, valving and clicker setting will make all the difference in the world. Your bike will be able to absorb the bumps better and it make you a better rider, hands down. You'll have more confidence on the bike which will make you a faster rider....

Mountain riding with rocks requires appropriate suspension set up. I have a KTM530EXC sprung for my weight and riding ability---mostly for desert. I took it on the rocks in the mountains on Sat and realized that I needed to adjust my clickers down to absorbe all the disjointed rocks.. Prior to the adjustment, I almost a had a few pucker moments.

One of benefits of riding, it's great, fun exercise.

Heal well.

UNO_RIDER screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 04:21 PM
UNO_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNO_RIDER View Post
That's one nasty looking bruise. Glad you're okay---for the most part.

Seems to me that you'll need a bigger bike and/or upgrade your suspension for your next adventure. I'm not sure how much you weigh, but suspension will work wonders if you're heavier than the average raider. Trust me on this....suspension, with proper springs rate, valving and clicker setting will make all the difference in the world. Your bike will be able to absorb the bumps better and it make you a better rider, hands down. You'll have more confidence on the bike which will make you a faster rider....

Mountain riding with rocks requires appropriate suspension set up. I have a KTM530EXC sprung for my weight and riding ability---mostly for desert. I took it on the rocks in the mountains on Sat and realized that I needed to adjust my clickers down to absorbe all the disjointed rocks.. Prior to the adjustment, I almost a had a few pucker moments.

One of benefits of riding, it's great, fun exercise.

Heal well.
Thanks for the advice. I do need to get someone to show me how to set up my suspension for different conditions and loads.

So does it look better today?

A Cougar goes racing
Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Ouch, must have been a good weekend for mishaps.

Our tally was..

One wrist in plaster but no bones broken.
One knee ligament, slightly torn but it will come right.
One badly bruised buttock, photo not child friendly.
One back tweaked.

And the bikes...
One drownded to the handle bars
One kick start snapped
One chain wrapped around the front sprocket
One "kill switch" break down...
Two fuel run outs
One wheelie right off the back..

Everybody is keen as mustard to do it again, all n00bs & loving it.
Perverse hobby.
Heal well!
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Yukoner2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Awful Fall Colours

I am used to Fall colours as being just before the leaves fall off the trees.
Cowgirl, I hope you heal quick, if not and you are still those "wonderful" colours for D2D..... please do not wear shorts. That does look like it hurts.
Yukoner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Set back today. I must have had another bleed - in the course of about half an hour my leg went from looking OK to this

Back to emergency. The doctor is worried about a clot so I got a shot of anti-coagulant and I have to go for ultrasound tomorrow.
A Cougar goes racing

Cowgirl screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 12:03 PM Reason: I'm anal retentive.