Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #31
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42 View Post
On pavement, how much pressure do you run in the rear?
I'm too lazy to change pressure so I just keep it where it is 8-10lb and they wear forever no problems but hey I'm not knee dragging either .

Really nasty stuff I will gather my forces and drop to 6lb and for connecting pavement I have no problems leaving it at that.
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:00 AM   #32
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
Good info here. I'm currently running an MT-21 front and MT-43 rear. I did a bunch of fireroad the other day with lots of sandy deep washes. Worked well, but I know the MT-21 is going to hate pavement in between the trails. Front and rear PSI at 14. I may try the rear lower now.
MT21 front, hating pavement?
It's about the most pavement friendly of the knobbly fronts.

I've got an MT43 front on the way. I'll either hate it or it'll match my riding style well.
Can't wait to find out.

NordieBoy screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 01:15 PM
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #33
jblen
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
MT21 front, hating pavement?
It's about the most pavement friendly of the knobbly fronts.

I've got an MT43 front on the way. I'll either hate it or it'll match my riding style well.
Can't wait to find out.
What do you think of the MT43 front? I just installed MT43's on the front and rear but won't be able to ride for a few days (Colorado Rockies). This will be my first time riding on trials tires.
jblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #34
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Lots of folks use the MT-43 rear, but as you know, few seem to use it on the front. Crawdaddy likes the front. You can Google his posts; here is one:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=24372

His site: http://www.crawdadoffroadevents.com/

From what I read, most folks run 8-12 lbs. I am working myself up to trying a rear on my WRR, probably with MT-21 front. Wish it wasn't so large though. Messes with the gearing, and besides, the WRR is already tall for me
Old 08-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #35
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblen View Post
What do you think of the MT43 front? I just installed MT43's on the front and rear but won't be able to ride for a few days (Colorado Rockies). This will be my first time riding on trials tires.
I like it on the front. Did 3hrs today and the rear let me down more
Very good under brakes on anything non-muddy.

I don't go fast so there's no leaning it over and nailing it through corners.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #36
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
I Was on the fence for some time about the MT43 on the rear. However I have now mounted the MT21 on both ends. Seem to be working well if you keep the pressure 15lbs of so.
I will someday get a MT43 for the rear to see what all the HooRah'n about !
Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #37
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
I'm trying to follow this discussion and one like it on another thread. Please check my distinctions here, because this is the only way it makes sense to me:
The MT-43 is a HYBRID tire: very stiff sidewall with a trials tread. Hence it works well on the road, and on rock, and on sticky soils, but less well on sand (?) and in deep mud. Low pressure off-road for traction; higher pressure on-road to mitigate heat build-up and provide excellent longevity. So, you need a pump.

The MT-43 is more likely to be loved by trials riders and (usually) hated by moto-cross and competition enduro riders, especially on the front. The racers put too much stress on the front and it washes out. Trials riders are going at a much slower pace and this allows the front to exert its grip rather than be pushed laterally.

Hence, dual sport riders are expected to like the MT-43 front if they are on single track and are riding at a moderate pace. On a WRR or DR, for example, they will shine at lower speeds. And almost anything will work on two-track and dirt / gravel roads.

At the same time, current and former race riders who are riding the new race-based "dual sports" (e.g. KTM 350/500's, Bergs, Huskies) are less likely to be fond of the MT-43 front as they are used to riding faster and want to take advantage of their cutting-edge hardware. They tend to ride past the front tire's limits.

And there are some surfaces that are just not MT-43 friendly, but the MT-43 is a lot more friendly to the trails than a knobbie.
So, it is not really all about terrain, but about riding style, too.

Does this sound right?

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #38
mwgak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I ride a WR250R. I have the 43 on the back. Riding yesterday in muddy hilly terrain. Putting a 43 on the front in those conditions would have been a truly religious experience...front brake is better than no brake. I would never go with both where I ride.
mwgak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #39
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Does this sound right?
Yep. if you're going to lean the bike over and give it a handful then trials tyres aren't for you.

Met a guy on a KTM300 on Sunday. MT43 rear and knobblie front. The MT43 had been on since December and was half worn. He runs 4psi and doesn't race, but loves the trials rears as they get him to where he wants to go with less fuss than with knobblies and they last a lot longer.

Trials fronts are only really an advantage going slowly down non-slippery stuff under brakes. It's more sure footed than a full knob.

I go slowly down stuff so it suits me
Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #40
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Yep. if you're going to lean the bike over and give it a handful then trials tyres aren't for you.

Met a guy on a KTM300 on Sunday. MT43 rear and knobblie front. The MT43 had been on since December and was half worn. He runs 4psi and doesn't race, but loves the trials rears as they get him to where he wants to go with less fuss than with knobblies and they last a lot longer.

Trials fronts are only really an advantage going slowly down non-slippery stuff under brakes. It's more sure footed than a full knob.

I go slowly down stuff so it suits me
bumping old thread. sorry.

I am interested in trying this mt43 on front and rear for my te630, especially since I probably fit the 'riding style' here in described (I am slow and still pretty green so I do not rip around corners and still go down hills dog slow) Anyone have experience with these on midweight bikes like a te630/te610? Wondering if this may be just what the doctor ordered
Old 08-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #41
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 720
I have 2 sets of wheels for my 450EXC. MT43 trails on the front and back on one set.

I don't see the MT43 front that bad on the front for dry conditions. Rocks, lose dirt it does OK...No big drama. I can keep up with other riders with it.

That said I leave the knobby on the front most of the time. Only real reason to run a MT43 up front is it lasts longer. I tear knobs off the front knobby on extreme rocky stuff I ride.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #42
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
bumping old thread. sorry.

I am interested in trying this mt43 on front and rear for my te630, especially since I probably fit the 'riding style' here in described (I am slow and still pretty green so I do not rip around corners and still go down hills dog slow) Anyone have experience with these on midweight bikes like a te630/te610? Wondering if this may be just what the doctor ordered
I wouldn't use that small a tire (2.75-21) on that big a bike, regardless of tread design.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #43
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,004
I've got MT43's front and rear on my WR250R. It works fine except of course not in mud. Steering is not precise on asphalt with only 10 psi... They work extremely well on groomed gravel.
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote