Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
Suter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Has anyone be able to compare F5 with Sena SMH10 in real life? They both look similar on paper (Sena with v4.0 software) but I'd like to know how it's in real life usage. I'm not sure if Sena v4.0 was released yet, though.

Sena can be have for a little over half the price of the F5 now, but the main unit seems to be more bulky.

Also, is there any wind buffeting and wind noise coming from those units?

Suter
Suter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #17
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I just got notification that Revzilla has shipped the F5 I pre-ordered a couple of weeks ago. It should arrive on Monday. I'll post my impression as soon as I get a chance to use it a bit. I went with the F5 as opposed to the Sena unit because I had good experience with the original Interphone (I forget what it was called). Also, I like how the Interphones have the microphone boom connected to the left speaker, as opposed to mounted on the bottom of the radio clamped on the side of the helmet. I think this makes it less likely that the microphone boom will get damaged when handling the helmet. It also avoids the needs for contacts between the radio unit and the helmet mount, which seem like a possible reliability issue. Lastly, my Son still has an old Interphone, and I'm thinking the new F5 will be less likely to have problems pairing with it than another manufacturers radio might have.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #18
owrstrich
F O T G

Oddometer: 190
interphone = full duplex rider passanger intercom...

just saying...

j o

owrstrich screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 08:19 AM
owrstrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #19
greybeard146
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Thumb A Good Aid to Safety

Loved the F4 - that is, when it worked. Over a period of a few days, one of two units failed to operate: unit 1 could only receive but not send, whilst unit 2 could only send but not receive. It was returned for a full refund. FWIW: I thought the connecting wires were ultra thin, and the mic boom must have been made of something tasty as I reckon my mate must have chewed on it - despite his protests to the contrary.

Anyway, when it worked, it was brilliant - and not just for the inter-bike natter; as an advisory to upcoming traffic / road problems, it proved a boon...and on one occasion in particular - it probably averted what would have been a terrible t-bone incident by an out of control (intoxicated?) cager - and the twat never even stopped to apologize.

I've looked at the wires on the F5 and they seem more substantial. I plan to get hooked up for my next trip. DV

Topbox Tours

CB750 F2w / R1100RT / F650 / DL1000 / Bandit 600 / CB200
greybeard146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
MOBiWan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Now even though both the interphone and the Sena systems are blutooth, they cannot connect to each other is that correct.

So if I have an Interphone setup, and my buddy is running a Sena setup, we will not be able to connect to one another..

Thanks
Mike
MOBiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
maalstroom
Ferret Legger

Oddometer: 458
Is there any brand that is compatible with another?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #22
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by maalstroom View Post
Is there any brand that is compatible with another?
From what I've seen, NO. IMHO, this is a major limitation to the growth of these things. Just think -- your Verizon phone can't connect with your ATT phone -- WTF??

I know -- use the phone function -- kind of defeats the purpose. And the bluetooth adapters for two-way radios that Sena and some others offer are a poor (and expensive) solution.

Manufacturers, if you're listening -- make this happen -- for everyone's benefit!
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
cyclebot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
Yes. I would wait just a little and look at the Scala G9 comming out soon. It has tons of rider-to-rider / rider-to-group features that might be interesting for you, and it won't have the deficiencies that the G4 had (small buttons etc etc).
With regards to the Interphone product: it also offers FM/RDS just as Scala. I wonder if it also sucks that much as the FM/RDS from Scala does. Which makes me believe a lot of this is marketing and will probably disappoint you in some level in daily use. Just as the other brands show.
here is a video of the FM in use. it is something i actually use while riding now. with the cardo units in the past scala rider fm and g4, i never used the FM because it was such a pain. with text to speech on the F5 it becomes really easy to use and i was additionally impressed with the sound quality of the radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBaw-ChTKEk

http://cyclebots.com/bluetooth-helme...nterphone.html
cyclebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #24
cyclebot
Adventurer

Interphone f5 information sheet

http://cyclebots.com/bluetooth-helme...nterphone.html
Old 03-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
cyclebot
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBiWan View Post
Now even though both the interphone and the Sena systems are blutooth, they cannot connect to each other is that correct.

So if I have an Interphone setup, and my buddy is running a Sena setup, we will not be able to connect to one another..

Thanks
Mike
you cannot connect via bluetooth intercom, you can call him and connect via cellphone.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #26
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Questions, questions, questions...

I sent an email to their customer service dept asking the following:

1) I have an older GPS (Zumo 550) using bluetooth 2.0, is the F5 compatible with previous bluetooth 2.0.

2) I did read the FAQ re. music, but would like clarification.

First, is it possible using a wired mp3 player such as Ipod by connecting it to 2 F5s using a Y splitter on the same bike so that both rider and pillion can listen to the same music in stereo at the same time?

Second, is it possible using a bluetooth mp3 player such as Itouch or Iphone and pair it with 2 F5s on the same bike so that both rider and pillion can listen to the same music in stereo at the same time?

I will report when I hear back.

Also I wonder about charging the units; assuming you are camping after a full day of riding with music and conversation. If opting to charge two units using the bike's battery (assuming relatively normal temps for camping). Is their a chance that you would drain the battery to a point that you might not be able to start the bike.

GSA with Odyssey PC 625 battery.

Thanks

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:00 PM   #27
V@lentino
Inspektor

Some answers back

Well if anything the company is quickly gaining my trust, I sent an email late last night and had a reply sitting in my inbox this morning.

Here were my original questions:

1) I have an older GPS (Zumo 550) using bluetooth 2.0, is the F5 compatible with previous bluetooth 2.0.

2) I did read the FAQ re. music, but would like clarification.

First, is it possible using a wired mp3 player such as Ipod by connecting it to 2 F5s using a Y splitter on the same bike so that both rider and pillion can listen to the same music in stereo at the same time?

Second, is it possible using a bluetooth mp3 player such as Itouch or Iphone and pair it with 2 F5s on the same bike so that both rider and pillion can listen to the same music in stereo at the same time?

Reply came in as

Interphone is releasing a transmitting Bluetooth adapter in June that will be the first product available that will stream stereo music to two Bluetooth headsets simultaneously. Currently there are no other products on the market that will do this, so that would be your only solution if you are looking to share an audio source via Bluetooth.

The F5 will pair and work well with the Zumo 550 which is actually using a Bluetooth 1.1 chip, and should only be used for phone or nav instructions, since the music streaming sounds terrible.

Interphone USA
Customer Service
Toll Free:
(800) 775-4271

Email:
info@interphoneusa.com

Indeed very helpful. To which I sent another question:

I am likely to wait until the adapter is available on the market before getting the kit. As a follow up question, can you please tell me what this adaptor will look like in terms of size, how about functionality, does it need to be wired to either headset or the MP3 player, is it any different then some of the Bluetooth iPod transmitter that currently exist on the market such as the Kokkia i10s, Jaybird, Sony... Does it matter if such an adaptor type is/is not AD2P, in regards to sound output quality for the F5?

Would I still need a dedicated blue tooth adapter for the ipod (such as the ones above), or would your adaptor actually do the trick. How about charging requirements, will it have batteries or take its charge from the device it is plugged in.

re-reading the answer from the company, it would seem that the current BT adapters on the market can only be paired with one headset at a time and what the F5 adaptor will do is allow for simultaneous pairing of 2 headsets to the same mp3 players, that is what I am unsure of...

Will report back when I hear more from the company, but so far reviews and company correspondence sounds very promising.

The Southern Episode
Old 06-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #28
V@lentino
Inspektor

Yup I think I'm sold,

their last reply was:

Here is a spec sheet.

This adapter has two channels for A2DP transmission, the others only have
one. A2DP is the best method for listening to stereo music via Bluetooth.
And it uses a built in rechargeable lithium ion battery.

They sent me the actual spec sheet in pdf, I have to figure a way to change it to jpg and I will post it here. When I do it now it loses to much resolution and size.

The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 02:11 AM
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #29
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,454
Jeez I wish they made an adapter to allow for earbuds.
tmotten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #30
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmotten View Post
Jeez I wish they made an adapter to allow for earbuds.
After working on mine for the last 2 days I have to agree. It's pretty much useless with ear plugs in. I can't hear my GPS at all, I can barely hear FM music and can't understand any voice transmission.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote