Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #106
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBILO View Post
In 2002 the Germans lost to the Wankers 5 to 0 in a World cup qualifier...
Wrong.

It's not an act with you is it?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #107
BMWBILO
Snapperhead

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Wrong.

It's not an act with you is it?
Sorry dude, I gave the wankers a little more credit than deserved.
Germany and England were in the same qualifying group for the
2002 World cup. Germany beat England in the first game at Wembley
1 to 0. Right after that Englands' manger Kevin Keegan resigned.
The return game was played in Munich and England won 5 to 1.
At the 2002 World cup England made it to the quarter finals and
Germany made it to the final losing to Brazil. What do you have to
say about that?
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #108
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBILO View Post
... What do you have to
say about that?
Play rugby.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #109
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Play rugby.
The England football team does look pretty agricultural based on their performance against Norway. And Hodgson seems to be a tactical throwback too.

I read today that the F.A. has finally agreed to reduce the pitch size, goal size and number of players for the youth teams. Only thirty years behind the times but I guess better late than never. There must be so many British kids who never went far in the game because of the emphasis on size and stamina. Shame.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #110
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

So, more friendly internationals which might be indicative of tournament form.

Germany labored to beat Isreal according to the report I read. I watched the Spanish cruise by S. Korea still without one Barcelona player and France beat Serbia.

France is my dark horse - terrible at the back as Mexes is a cart horse and without Abidal, Evra is a liability. But they have a very good attack in Ribery, Benzema, Ben Arfa and Menez with Nasri in the mid-field.

Germany must be the favorites inspite of recent form and Ozil shines for the national team in a way he doesn't at Madrid.

Spain are still very good but you get the feeling that they're not quite as potent. Particularly without Villa and Puyol. That brings Ramos into the center where he's not as good as his natural right fullback. It all depends how refreshed the Barca players are and whether Torres and Llorente have good tournaments. I'm betting tons of possession but can't finish.

The Dutch could do what they always do and come apart like a cheap watch after dominating for four or five games.

Italy will only win if someone has paid off the other side and forget Sweden, Portugal and England (unless one of those teams do a Denmark or Greece and major upset).

P.s. Brazil looked like a machine against the U.S. the yanks got a lesson in how to play without breaking sweat. Klinsmann looked ashen faced - I think he was more deluded than anyone about the quality of his team.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #111
ThePikeman
German n00b

Oddometer: 4,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
So, more friendly internationals which might be indicative of tournament form.

Germany labored to beat Isreal according to the report I read. I watched the Spanish cruise by S. Korea still without one Barcelona player and France beat Serbia.

France is my dark horse - terrible at the back as Mexes is a cart horse and without Abidal, Evra is a liability. But they have a very good attack in Ribery, Benzema, Ben Arfa and Menez with Nasri in the mid-field.

Germany must be the favorites inspite of recent form and Ozil shines for the national team in a way he doesn't at Madrid.

Spain are still very good but you get the feeling that they're not quite as potent. Particularly without Villa and Puyol. That brings Ramos into the center where he's not as good as his natural right fullback. It all depends how refreshed the Barca players are and whether Torres and Llorente have good tournaments. I'm betting tons of possession but can't finish.

The Dutch could do what they always do and come apart like a cheap watch after dominating for four or five games.

Italy will only win if someone has paid off the other side and forget Sweden, Portugal and England (unless one of those teams do a Denmark or Greece and major upset).

P.s. Brazil looked like a machine against the U.S. the yanks got a lesson in how to play without breaking sweat. Klinsmann looked ashen faced - I think he was more deluded than anyone about the quality of his team.
It was a bit labored and a total wast of good chances. Israel played very defensively, so it didn't look good in any case. But Germany did indeed let themselves infect by Israels leisurely pace. Add in cool temperatures and heavy rain, a friendly against unthreatening opposition and you got a lack of motivation. There is also rumor that there was a tactical order to mostly play over the wings. Took a lot of variability out of the game.
ThePikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #112
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePikeman View Post
It was a bit labored and a total wast of good chances. Israel played very defensively, so it didn't look good in any case. But Germany did indeed let themselves infect by Israels leisurely pace. Add in cool temperatures and heavy rain, a friendly against unthreatening opposition and you got a lack of motivation. There is also rumor that there was a tactical order to mostly play over the wings. Took a lot of variability out of the game.
Though a 2-nil score line vs Israel is a bit unsatisfactory, it is a clean sheet victory.

My worry is that Loew will go with Merte over Hummels - CRonaldo will put pretzels in Merte's legs.

Saturday can't get here fast enough!

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #113
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorstKind View Post
Though a 2-nil score line vs Israel is a bit unsatisfactory, it is a clean sheet victory.

My worry is that Loew will go with Merte over Hummels - CRonaldo will put pretzels in Merte's legs.

Saturday can't get here fast enough!
There is a very good chance that Ronaldo will have to deal with Lahm... again.

Actually, 2-0 is acceptable. Israel is a very defensive team.

Could very well be that Löw will play a 3/4 Bayern back four. Boateng has the physicality to defend against Ronaldo. I guess it is quite sure that Lahm will be put as left back and either Boateng or Höwedes will play right back.

Hummels does not seem to be able to really transfer his club form, yet. It's very odd. He first has to get the long balls beaten out of him. He is allowed to play them for Dortmund, but not for the NT.
Mertesacker brings a lot of international expereince to the CB combination. I think that's rather important. What I noticed is, that players need about 20 games to really "arrive" in the NT. A combination of Badstuber(18)/Hummels(12) has only 30 caps between them. With Mertesacker in the mix, that number is 97 or 91.

The squad in general is even younger that the WC 2010 squad with only about 24.5 years. It's important to have enough experience on the field.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #114
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

I think Boateng will wind up as the right back, meaning he'll be CRonaldo's main opponent. This gives me nightmares, nightmares which are only overshadowed by CRonaldo going up against the stiff Mertesaecker.

Hummels is not the only defender that cannot raise the level of his national game to that of his club game - Hoewedes never comes close to his form he displays at Schalke when he plays for Germany.

Loew has shown that he is no respecter of previous performance. I am hoping he continues this trait, meaning we should see Schuerle over Poldi, Hummels over Merte. I am hoping Jogi gets it right, or this could be a short Euro for us.

Quote:
There is a very good chance that Ronaldo will have to deal with Lahm... again.

Actually, 2-0 is acceptable. Israel is a very defensive team.

Could very well be that Löw will play a 3/4 Bayern back four. Boateng has the physicality to defend against Ronaldo. I guess it is quite sure that Lahm will be put as left back and either Boateng or Höwedes will play right back.

Hummels does not seem to be able to really transfer his club form, yet. It's very odd. He first has to get the long balls beaten out of him. He is allowed to play them for Dortmund, but not for the NT.
Mertesacker brings a lot of international expereince to the CB combination. I think that's rather important. What I noticed is, that players need about 20 games to really "arrive" in the NT. A combination of Badstuber(18)/Hummels(12) has only 30 caps between them. With Mertesacker in the mix, that number is 97 or 91.

The squad in general is even younger that the WC 2010 squad with only about 24.5 years. It's important to have enough experience on the field.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #115
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
I think Boateng will wind up as the right back, meaning he'll be CRonaldo's main opponent. This gives me nightmares, nightmares which are only overshadowed by CRonaldo going up against the stiff Mertesaecker.

Hummels is not the only defender that cannot raise the level of his national game to that of his club game - Hoewedes never comes close to his form he displays at Schalke when he plays for Germany.

Loew has shown that he is no respecter of previous performance. I am hoping he continues this trait, meaning we should see Schuerle over Poldi, Hummels over Merte. I am hoping Jogi gets it right, or this could be a short Euro for us.
I think it is not that Löw questions Hummels or Höwedes qualities, but only that they haven't fully integrated into the NT and the play Löw expects yet. He will play them more after the Euro. Schürrle and Podolski are both pacy wingers. Schürrle seems to be a great substitution player and that will be his role. A tired defense is a good target.
It will be interesting to see, if Klose gets his game up in time. I'd love a surprise with Reus as false 9, though that's something I'd expect more against Holland. They have tall enough defenders against headers. So a player able to play combinations on the ground will be best.
He has a back bone team and won't shuffle that too much if not necessary.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #116
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

I'm beginning to feel sorry for England and all their injury woes. Latest is Cahil the excellent CB who had his jaw fractured in two places when the Belgian Mertens shoved him in the back.

It was just a friendly for Christsakes. What was Mertens thinking?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #117
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
I'm beginning to feel sorry for England and all their injury woes. Latest is Cahil the excellent CB who had his jaw fractured in two places when the Belgian Mertens shoved him in the back.

It was just a friendly for Christsakes. What was Mertens thinking?
He just wanted his goalie to get a hug.
I think it can only help england if there is simply no expectation. They tend to get hyped into heaven by their local press and can only disappoint. There is no pressure on them.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #118
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Quote:
He just wanted his goalie to get a hug.
I think it can only help england if there is simply no expectation. They tend to get hyped into heaven by their local press and can only disappoint. There is no pressure on them.
and based on the press on-line that I read, this is the first time since 1966 that I think the national consensus is realistic. A team that will probably go out in the first knockout round.

The Spain - China friendly is just starting and there are actually Barca players starting (Busquets and Xavi). We'll see if that changes a pretty flat (but winning) team of the last few games. And Negredo on for Torres.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #119
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Really, I have no problem with England getting decimated. The only team I like less than the three lions are the dutch. And I am very leary of them for this tourney. VanPersie is on form.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:20 AM   #120
ThePikeman
German n00b

Quote:
Really, I have no problem with England getting decimated. The only team I like less than the three lions are the dutch. And I am very leary of them for this tourney. VanPersie is on form.
Yes, but their defense is as leaky as a orange rusted bucket.
The German defense was leaky against France and Switzerland because the players were not adapted to each other, not because of lack of quality. Badstuber, Hummels, Boateng and Höwedes are great defenders, Lahm is exceptional. Mertesacker is slow, but knows where to stand to fuck up an attack.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: