User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #61
pilotguy299
The man who regrets

Oddometer: 1,497
Nemesis Arms Vanquish in .308 with a 20" barrel, Zeiss-Hensoldt 6-24x72 scope, and fed 175gr SMKs from Southwest Ammunition

no money left...
pilotguy299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #62
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Remington 700 Compact Tactical in 308

Three shot group at 200 yards.

I'm looking for a good place to go out and see how far the gun is good for. The closest 1000 yard range is about a six hour drive, but I may be able to find a lonely spot to give it a go.
Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #63
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,782
Ho, Ho, Ho!

Santa comes at Christmas too!
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #64
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,736
Come on guys, lets see some guns or some groups. Whatsa matter, everybody broke?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #65
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Come on guys, lets see some guns or some groups. Whatsa matter, everybody broke?
Ok a gun photo. Quick and dirty like. Remmington 700 in .300 Win Mag with a Vortex 4-12X30 scope and rings I dont remember what kind but theyre nicer than that scope needs. Not a super fancy set up but it gets the job done for me. I havent had the chance to take it to a real long distance range and get it all set up, but i did kill a caribou with it this winter.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:52 PM   #66
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,564
WANT.
must stop looking at threads like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerkid View Post
Ok a gun photo.
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #67
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
WANT.
must stop looking at threads like this.
Thanks, I didnt really intend it to be an all blacked out job. I was just keeping it simple.
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 AM   #68
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerkid View Post
Ok a gun photo. Quick and dirty like. Remmington 700 in .300 Win Mag with a Vortex 4-12X30 scope and rings I dont remember what kind but theyre nicer than that scope needs. Not a super fancy set up but it gets the job done for me. I havent had the chance to take it to a real long distance range and get it all set up, but i did kill a caribou with it this winter.
Very nice. Don't need nothing else and if you shoot it on the range, I'll bet you find it does great. Now that you have scored with it, though, who cares?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #69
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

I guess I will put up a little 'long distance' data. I had some issues with my Savage 12 in .308 and finally figured out that it was action screw torque values and barrel harmonics. Groups would wander with barrel temperatures and the wander didn't seem to be affected by load specifics. I finally figured out that the receiver front and rear screws must be torqued very accurately to specific specs (which are somewhat different than the 'factory'). More importantly, I made a slip on barrel tuner out of a piece of aluminum tubing and finally have it positioned just where the fluting meets the unfluted portion of the barrel.
The Savage is just like this one (don't have a ready picture to post):

Anyway, a little results data from 100 yds:

This is a typical, somewhat bad 3 shot group when the action screws are not torqued properly and somewhat loose.

Tighten the action screws to 20 inlb and much better:

Tighten more to 25 inlb front and 20 inlb rear and darn good:

Put tuner in under barrel and torque action screws 25/20 and consistently get results like this, with rapid fire, barrel heating, whatevuh:

Another interesting group with one shot at 50 yds and then moving to 100 yds with no scope adjustment and two shots on top of the first one:

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 06:36 PM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #70
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
My experiment at longer ranges...

Started out building more of a classic HBAR AR but went with a flat top receiver and detachable carry handle. Later went to a scope. I have a really nice forged one piece mount but the scope I have on there is a real POS that I just had laying around. If I can stop buying crap for my bikes I'll get a nice scope for it this summer. I'm amazed at how well this frankenrifle shoots. My best group with handloads is about 2 " at 200 yards but the group was 4 in a ragged hole with one flyer.

AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #71
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
F Class open (300 - 1600 yd): 6.5 Creedmoor 30" Bartlien barrel, remington action, Timney trigger, fitted birch laminate stock, Bushy Elite 6500 up to 30x scope, 20 MOA base.

F/TR (300 - 1000 yd): 308 29" Broughton barrel, Savage action, Rifle Basix trigger, McCree folding stock, Sinclair bipod, Viper Vortex PST 6.5x24 scope, 20 MOA base.

Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor, VX3 6.5x20 varmint scope for anything and everything.

Cooper Phoenix in 204 Ruger Sightron Big Sky 6x24 for PD's, rock chucks, ground squirrels, etc.

AR 24" 223 varmint Vortex Viper 6x24, just cuz.

Pics sometime soon

Assuming I didn't lose everything in a tragic boating accident
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #72
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,566
Remington 700 .308 with Leupold scope that has been upgraded by Premier Reticle.

I have used this combination to make head shots at 600 yards.

The logbook has recorded every single round fired by the rifle. The Leupold laser range finder is a handy item to keep in my drag bag.

Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:44 AM   #73
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge320 View Post
Remington 700 .308 with Leupold scope that has been upgraded by Premier Reticle.

I have used this combination to make head shots at 600 yards.

The logbook has recorded every single round fired by the rifle. The Leupold laser range finder is a handy item to keep in my drag bag.

Nice gun. Are you a police sniper in Beaumont? And were the head shots hogs or insurgents?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #74
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Very quiet on here so I will post a followup on the Savage 12BVSS .308 action screw sensitivity. Today after setting up at the Cascades Shooting Facility near Black Diamond, WA, I resighted the rifle/scope after travel from Colorado. Shot about six rounds getting zero back at 50 yds. Then moved to 100 yds and shot the three shot group below:

Great, but by that time the rifle had warmed up and the next group showed the effects of loosely torqued action screws:

But using the torque wrench I keep in my bag, reset the screws to 30 in/lb front and 25 in/lb back, so back on track:

Eventually I am going to switch to an aluminum block attachment to the stock and do more bedding, which should finally get this barrel and action to be consistent with round numbers.

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 08:13 AM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #75
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
But using the torque wrench I keep in my bag, reset the screws to 30 ft/lb front and 25 ft/lb back, so back on track:
Foot-pounds? Really? IIRC the TQ for the screws in my Choate stock is 55-65 inch -pounds. That's an aluminum and composite stock as opposed to your wood laminate.

I have one of those .308's, too, BTW. Last weekend in NE shooting prairie dogs:
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: