Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 154 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 07:04 AM   #24106
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brton161 View Post
Gummee, won't most wheels on ebay or craigslist have similar (lower) strength hubs?
Depends on the wheelset.

M
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #24107
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
n00b question: what is a freewheel hub, and how do they break? I've heard of people breaking chains, but never hubs.
Quote:
Hey man, thanks for the reply. The XT hub is what they were suggesting, and the $200 includes rebuilding the rear wheel with that hub, or $75 for the stock free hub with a rebuild. I would upgrade to a Chris King or similar, but I'm really just looking for something that won't break again anytime soon, I've spent enough cash on this bike as is. Would you say the CK is worth the price? I was really hoping to spend money upgrading brakes before a freehub. Elixir 1s suck!
For Shimano hubs, you can replace the freehub body:

It's held onto the hub by a hollow allen bolt (10mm?). You have to pull out the axle and bearings, then unscrew the bolt. After that, you drop the replacement on and reassemble. IIRC, there are only a couple of options for shimano freehub bodies - but they are fairly durable. You broke the "dog"s, but they probably trashed the springs and damaged the pockets in the center section.

Here's the DIY: http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant

I broke a DT hub this way once, but it failed due to heat treat issues and was warrantied. Got a new hub - I did the wheelbuild. The shimano freehub failures I've seen have all been due to lack of maintenance over time - and it's a PITA to get to the ratchet on these. Best bet is a Morningstar Freehub Buddy, which allows you to push solvent or lube thru the freehub and take care of the ratchet and the two sets of loose ball bearings in there. But you have to strip it down just as far to maintain it as to replace it.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #24108
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Hey, 3260 as of yesterday morning. 339 miles in April. 910 total for 2012. I should be at 1166, but I made a little progres this month.
3737 as of this morning's ride. 477 in May! Highlights included a 75 mile day and an impromptu 1 hour time trial (I got a late start this morning) that netted me 19.25 miles. I'm at 1387 for 2012. I should be at 1458, but goddammit, that's progress! As far as my 1012 goals, a century is looking pretty damn doable. My 3500 mile goal looks legit, barring disaster. 20 miles in an hour is still looking pretty sketchy. I can cruise along OK between 19 mph and 20 mph, but someone drops a load of bricks on me at 20.1.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #24109
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Hey man, thanks for the reply. The XT hub is what they were suggesting, and the $200 includes rebuilding the rear wheel with that hub, or $75 for the stock free hub with a rebuild. I would upgrade to a Chris King or similar, but I'm really just looking for something that won't break again anytime soon, I've spent enough cash on this bike as is. Would you say the CK is worth the price? I was really hoping to spend money upgrading brakes before a freehub. Elixir 1s suck!
I've had my CKs for 4 years. I originally had them in a 26er wheelset and then used them for my 29er build. They have been great. I had to adjust them once during the first month as they broke in and I haven't touched them since. They are worth it if you are going to keep them for a long time. If you are just trying to get your bike going again and want something you don't have to worry about I'd say the XTs are good enough.

However Gummee brings up a good point about ebay. I would get your existing hub fixed under warranty and then sell the wheelset. You can find a complete front and rear wheelset for $200 with XT hubs. Velocity and Mavic rims are good. DT Swiss wheelsets are good too. I would stay away from complete Mavic wheelsets though. They look cool but I broke several spokes (proprietary spokes) and my buddy trashed his freehub three times.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #24110
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,074
Went up to Ohio to see my nephew off to the air force this past weekend. For the heck of it I tossed the poprad into the trunk of the rental car. Stayed in Fancy Gap Virginia thursday eve and was hoping to pedal a bit of the blue ridge friday morning. But there was pea soup fog when I woke up friday. Got a couple rides in around my parents house in Ohio. Was nice to pedal the roads I did as a youngster. Even found a gravel rail trail while out on a road ride that was a nice change. The rolling hills were kicking my arse good. Note to self do not eat a Mr Hero Romanburger a few hours prior to pedaling...
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #24111
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,381
Once upon a time I raced bicycles and was pretty good at training and not so much at the racing part since I'd used up my competition gene somewhere around 13. I started racing bicycles in my early 30's. I was lucky to be in Colorado and because I began from working as a motorcycle marshal with the Coors Classic I gained access to a lot of great information and training. That made for learning not only how to train but how to recover from training and injury. I got to ride with some pretty special folks and got a lot of great advice, training direction and how to set a bicycle up and why.
All that, as well as growing up a snow skiing and racing those and playing football. Football was stupid except for some of the conditioning, I learned soem stuff there. the rest of it was and is about the worst thing you can do to a body. But, I'll not climb too high on that horse.

The trick I know is that with my age, (59) recovery takes longer. and if I rush things it just makes it ultimately take even longer and hurt more.
So, yes I'm back to time in the saddle but at a sustained effort. Right now I try to keep my speed down around 15 mph for the first half hour to get good and warm. And chase as few rabbits as possible. That means I can stay in the saddle longer.

Monday was said to be mid 80's, but felt like 90's. I've ridden in over a hundred but being in condition makes a huge difference. When I was racing heat didn't bother me. I liked it hot and dry I seemed to ride a lot harder then.
The tough part in recovery is holding back. Right now I am real weak compared to where I was before my back went nuts. My back is just OK to ride not perfect so even pushing a little is a bad thing. The PT I was doing was useless. The usual hot pad with that electric muscle twitch thing. They added some homework, yoga stretches which are the only useful part of the program. I stopped going, I know I need to strengthen my core, but to do that I need to get my cycling back a good bit, with some walking at lunch and after work during the week. eventually I'll get back to riding the big hills and running. THat stuff builds my core back.

I am so far amazed that my so called "Cadillac Insurance" plan always finds useless stuff like this here. In Colorado I had basically the same thing with an HMO from BCBS Colorado so I went to my old sports medicine PT shop and paid cash. That was good stuff. They actually did sports work not some crystals and newage noise aroma therapy garbage.
My plan is to go on my own dime to a sports medicine doctor in Newport Beach a friend has used for opinion. Then I'll take a swipe at the insurance company.
In Colorado before I had the crappy HMO, I told my GP I wanted to go to Andy Pruit for an evaluation of my knee, and PT, and bike re-set. My doc didn't know of Andy so I showed him, pointing out the miles I put on the bike. he agreed and went to bat for me with the insurance company. I got re-habed and my bike set up and some home PT to do. A month later I was back in the saddle doing good miles. I'd blown up my bad knee at a timetrial where the wind kicked up big after the turn around.

So, now I'm back to slow and steady again. I will get back to all day in the saddle at a reasonable clip, and not feeling like I've been beaten afterward. Just takes some time. And I got some of that for now.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #24112
lovish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Thank god bicycles are still alive on this world full of petrol running beasts

My Signature

-------------------------------------
One day, I will take it easy. Today won't be that day...
lovish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #24113
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,381
Unfortunately I am still putting more miles on the gas-burner than on the fat burner.
For May I manage 103 miles on the bike once I got the OK from the doc.
So a little under 500 so far for the year. Nowhere near what I expected back in January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovish View Post
Thank god bicycles are still alive on this world full of petrol running beasts

My Signature

One day, I will take it easy. Today won't be that day...
Old 05-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #24114
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Upgrade.

What is your current repair stand of choice for the home shop?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #24115
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post

Topeak Elite

Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #24116
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
Upgrade.

Turn bike upside down and set on the floor.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #24117
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Turn bike upside down and set on the floor.

I'm looking to upgrade.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:07 PM   #24118
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Feedback Sports Pro Elite but it's hard to go wrong with Park Tools.

brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #24119
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Great choices guys. I was also looking at the Park PCS 4 in that range ($200) but am not sure of the feet. I like the stability of the tripod feet on both the units suggested above, Topeak and Feedback for breaking loose stubborn pedals or bottom brackets.

Anyone with the Park who can attest to the stability?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #24120
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer90 View Post
Feedback Sports Pro Elite but it's hard to go wrong with Park Tools.

The nice thing about the elite is that it will fit fork tubes...... You know, for motorcycles.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: