Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
Quantis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Moab Adventures 2012

On night long ago, deep in the dark and flurried depths of winter an evil plot was hatched by the most cunning of riders. Drag loving motorcyclists away from their loving families and subject them to the burning sun and biting wind of the deserts… of MOAB!

So some time last year Rider23 (Ted) came up with a plan to take a bunch of guys to Moab for a week of riding in the sun. Calls were made, conversations had, plans and budgets laid out, and it the end 6 riders signed up to come along.

We spent lots of time planning and going through gear lists. We even had a few teleconferences to get everyone on the same page and talk out the details. Emails flowed back and forth with gps files for every conceivable route within a day’s drive of Moab. Money was collected and deposits were left for our accommodation. When the flurry of activity ended we had amassed 2 trucks, 2 trailers, 6 bikes (we thought about 7 but decided against it) and 6 riders who were spread across Ontario and Quebec.

Our plan was to leave Friday morning and spend 3 days on the road, so Thursday night I dropped my gear off at Shipwreck’s house and went home to get some well deserved rest. I had been working non stop on my bike upgrading parts and shaking it down in preparation for the trip and this was my last chance for a good nights reset before living like a zombie in a truck eating gas station food for 3 days.

Friday morning I woke up at 4:30 in the morning, pulled on my riding gear and rode my bike the 35km to Shipwreck’s place. There we loaded the bikes on the trailer and hooked the trailer to Rider23’s truck. The gear was piled in the back and strapped in the best we could and only 15 minutes after our scheduled departure time of 6:00am we hit the road

As we cruised down the highway towards Toronto we felt a vibration. Nothing huge, just a bit of vibration when we were going at highway speeds. We pulled into Tim Horton’s for a bite to eat an to take a look at the trailer. The bearings were tightened and we ended up swapping for the spare tire to try to fix the vibration issue. While it wasn’t a 100% success we continued on to our rendezvous with the other truck somewhere the far side of Toronto.

Here we hooked up with the second tuck carrying 4badboyz (Mark) and hewhohesit8s (Frank). Everyone moved gear between the two trucks to get as much as possible into the truck with the cab and even out the bikes between the two trailers.

From there we crossed the border in Sarnia stopping only long enough for 4badboyz to get the shakedown because of his UK passport and pay the $6 for a visa. Then we were on the open road ripping across the US.

From here it was just a matter of stopping every few hours for truck stop food, bathroom breaks, and fuel until around 1am where we pulled into a rest stop at the side of the highway. I pulled out my camp mat and a small blanked and passed out on the side of the road to get a few hours of sleep. It was warm and people tried sleeping all over the place but from the grumbling I head most people didn’t get much rest. Around 4am we hopped back in the truck to continue our drive.

Frank sleeping in the truck

We drove all Saturday through the night and into Sunday finally arriving in Moab around 10:00 Sunday morning. We didn’t get access to our condo until 3pm so everyone sort of scattered. I again rolled out my camp mat in the parking lot and caught an hour of sleep while some people rented a hotel room and others went for a tour of the countryside in their truck.

MOAB... Finally!

Me napping in the parking lot

Finally after my nap it was time to RIDE !!!!!!

4badboyz and I suited up and decided to check out some trails. We turned at the McDonalds to ride a trail he had heard about. We were heading towards hurrah pass but ended up turning one turn too early and rode on one of the hardest trails in Moab.

We hammered down some staircase like trails, across rock gardens, through deep sand, and up small cliffs. For our first ride this was pretty daunting but we were both smiling and having a great time. After all, we had just driven for 3 days to do this.

Crazy Trails !

More Crazyness

Spot the rider.

Wanting to be back to check into the condo at 3 we turned around and headed back out. Finally coming to the big staircase we had ridden down on the way in. Mark looks at me and says “I saw a way around back here” so we hop onto this small side trail. Part way along there’s a bush like tree hanging across the trail and Mark ducks under it then BAM! He’s on his ass, completely clothesline off his bike. Turns out there was a 4” thick branch at head height that he didn’t see.

Now his bike is on it’s side, it’s flooded and won’t start. After a few tries the battery dies and he resorts to kicking it. I say don’t worry, I’ll go get help and since we are so close to the parking lot he can just roll his bike down the hill and I’ll come back with either a truck or some jumper cables.

Now while I race back to town, find everyone else, and get them to bring a truck on a rescue mission, Mark tries to kick his bike over re-injuring his weal calf muscle. Now his leg is swollen and his bike is dead, and it’s 40C out. Fun stuff!

In the end we pick him up in the parking lot and load his bike in the truck. Everyone meets back at the condo where we unpack, swap stories, and put Mark’s battery on the charger.

Luckily we had picked up booze in Nebraska at a Wal-Mart (how ‘merican of us) so we got down to business while Mark Iced his leg. It was a crazy 3 days getting there but tomorrow the REAL fun begins.