ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,215
Dzrtracin - I just completed a 5-day Baja Bound tour with Tim, and it was definitely worth every penny!

I went with BB for several reasons. 1) I don't get much time to go riding, and it made mroe sense to spend the time actually riding in Baja then spending half my time riding or trailering my bike to Baja. 2) I've heard great things about BB, and everything I heard was spot on. 3) I don't know the area, and Tim knows more about trails in Baja then just about anybody. We went on trails that have obviously not been ridden by anybody else since the last time that maybe Tim took a group on them (which was probably a long time ago). 4) I could afford it, and it's easier to have some else worry about all the logistics.

I rode one of the BB Honda 450's. Bike was prepped well. Bib mousse in the front wheel so don't have to worry about front flats. Typically Tim takes an extra bike along on in one of the chase vehicles in case there's a problem with one of the bikes on the tour. We had a fairly large group (10 riders plus Tim, Brent Harden, and Tim's brother Chip) on the ride so we didn't have a spare bike on this particular ride but I think that's unusual. One guy that was supposed to ride missed his airflight into San Diego due to aircraft mechanical issues. No big deal. On the fly, Tim changed up the routing for the ride, had his Dad pick up the rider in San Diego, and they met up with us on the morning of the 2nd day of the ride.

Tim adapts to the riding abilities of the group on the fly. You'll get as much technical riding in as you probably are willing to do, but will have one of the chase riders takes others on easier trails if necessary and you all meet up again down the trail.

In 5 days just in Northern Baja, we rode just about everything you can imagine - Typical baja dirt roads, technical single track (including the Spiderman trail, a very winding wash through a narrow canyon barely wide enough for your handlebars in spots, and that leads down to the beach), trails through the pine forests, on beach sand, on beach rocks - just an incredible variety of terrain. We rode quite a bit of this year's Baja 500 course. Did I mention that Tim knows trails in Baja that just about nobody else is aware of. You'll see parts of Baja that very few ever visit.

The hotels were very good. The food was fanatastic. Other than alcohol, it's all-inclusive so order whatever food you want and as much you want.

And you get to ride with Tim Morton (multiple Baja winner), plus whoever he might have assisting him. In this case, it was Brent Harden - just an incredible rider and racer.

I haven't yet organized my pics or videos yet, but here's a teaser. We took a pretty technical trail to get to this particular spot southwest of La Rumorosa that provides a great view...

There's nothing wrong with riding down by yourself or with friends, and I'll probably do that in the future. But I'll also go on another BB tour. You'll have a great time if that's what you decide to do!
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,472
You know women worry. I didn't marry a biker chick! Or a lesbian! She's a good girl.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #18
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,239
I went to Baja 2 years ago with Wally and we had a blast just playing by ear. Our plan was to ride motorcycles, drink beer, chase girls, and sit on the beach, in no particular order.

This past December, I did Vegas to Cabo San Lucas solo. I met some great people, got to ice skate in La Paz, then rode back with a Canadian who was on the same time table (and bike) as I was.

No matter how you do it, you'll enjoy it.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #19
dzrtracin OP
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
Dzrtracin - I just completed a 5-day Baja Bound tour with Tim, and it was definitely worth every penny!

I went with BB for several reasons. 1) I don't get much time to go riding, and it made mroe sense to spend the time actually riding in Baja then spending half my time riding or trailering my bike to Baja. 2) I've heard great things about BB, and everything I heard was spot on. 3) I don't know the area, and Tim knows more about trails in Baja then just about anybody. We went on trails that have obviously not been ridden by anybody else since the last time that maybe Tim took a group on them (which was probably a long time ago). 4) I could afford it, and it's easier to have some else worry about all the logistics.

I rode one of the BB Honda 450's. Bike was prepped well. Bib mousse in the front wheel so don't have to worry about front flats. Typically Tim takes an extra bike along on in one of the chase vehicles in case there's a problem with one of the bikes on the tour. We had a fairly large group (10 riders plus Tim, Brent Harden, and Tim's brother Chip) on the ride so we didn't have a spare bike on this particular ride but I think that's unusual. One guy that was supposed to ride missed his airflight into San Diego due to aircraft mechanical issues. No big deal. On the fly, Tim changed up the routing for the ride, had his Dad pick up the rider in San Diego, and they met up with us on the morning of the 2nd day of the ride.

Tim adapts to the riding abilities of the group on the fly. You'll get as much technical riding in as you probably are willing to do, but will have one of the chase riders takes others on easier trails if necessary and you all meet up again down the trail.

In 5 days just in Northern Baja, we rode just about everything you can imagine - Typical baja dirt roads, technical single track (including the Spiderman trail, a very winding wash through a narrow canyon barely wide enough for your handlebars in spots, and that leads down to the beach), trails through the pine forests, on beach sand, on beach rocks - just an incredible variety of terrain. We rode quite a bit of this year's Baja 500 course. Did I mention that Tim knows trails in Baja that just about nobody else is aware of. You'll see parts of Baja that very few ever visit.

The hotels were very good. The food was fanatastic. Other than alcohol, it's all-inclusive so order whatever food you want and as much you want.

And you get to ride with Tim Morton (multiple Baja winner), plus whoever he might have assisting him. In this case, it was Brent Harden - just an incredible rider and racer.

I haven't yet organized my pics or videos yet, but here's a teaser. We took a pretty technical trail to get to this particular spot southwest of La Rumorosa that provides a great view...

There's nothing wrong with riding down by yourself or with friends, and I'll probably do that in the future. But I'll also go on another BB tour. You'll have a great time if that's what you decide to do!
Exactly what i was looking for, thanks for the feedback. Do doubt im leaning this way, just show up & go, no worries

RIDE ON!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #20
Bronco Driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Baja

I've been to Baja a couple of times and the best ride down there is not to have any plans except to ride Baja and have fun.
How far south do you want to go? In early spring we're planning a ride to Cabo and back.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #21
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,101
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote