Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #1441
mtbenson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie View Post
I've ridden many times in strong rain with my 330. Now that you asked, I never noticed rain which could be funneled through the air gap. If I've never noticed it, then maybe it doesn't happen or the rain that goes through is too insignificant. No issues at all for me during rainstorms.
What he said!

The AF330 and Adventure winglets have made me a happy GSer.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #1442
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERINE View Post
I'm 6' 2", 32" inseam and I tried the Laminar lip. It was OK but not ideal for me. Still didn't get the wind up over my helmet as much as I wanted. I bought a Vstream windscreen for my wife's F650GS ( she loves it ) and put her Wunderlich wind deflector on my GSA windscreen. It is the answer for me! Took all the wind and shoots it up over my helmet by about 4" whereas I had to duck down in stock form. Much better improvement. Love it! I don't have it in the most upper position so I'm sure it would work for a taller guy then me...
Probably a good way to go. I'm same height and went with the Wunderlich Vario 2 piece screen for my GS and it is a tremendous improvement over stock and stock plus laminar lip, but I'm so so on the looks and at idle it shakes like a paint mixer due to the two piece design.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #1443
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Probably a good way to go. I'm same height and went with the Wunderlich Vario 2 piece screen for my GS and it is a tremendous improvement over stock and stock plus laminar lip, but I'm so so on the looks and at idle it shakes like a paint mixer due to the two piece design.
When it is all the way down, where does the air hit you?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #1444
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
When it is all the way down, where does the air hit you?
It comes with a tall screen and a short screen...never tried the small one and never tried the tall one in the lower position....had given up trying to find a low screen that will work. I forget the exact measurements, but as I recall where I have it set it's about 2" taller than a stock GSA screen.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #1445
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer: 4,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Anyone here ever try the SAENG vortex generator edging they sell? They claim it breaks up the smooth laminar flow
The SAENG edging is a triumph of theoretical flow dynamics and marketing over actual engineering. At the speeds motorcycles travel, and under the varying wind conditions (direction, wind speed, etc), there is simply no discernible effect from the minimal spoilage of airflow the edging provides. That said, I don't doubt for a second that they can demonstrate some effect in a wind tunnel under ideal conditions.

-Mahatma Ghandi, 1946
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #1446
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
anyone else try this?

2010 GSA, 6'5" rider

I ground off the whole alignment nib.Lets me put up the screen just a little more so the turbulent air goes over my head.
Its a sure improvement from the highest normal setting,
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #1447
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
2010 GSA, 6'5" rider

I ground off the whole alignment nib.Lets me put up the screen just a little more so the turbulent air goes over my head.
Its a sure improvement from the highest normal setting,
That's on the list of things to try. I've got one of the Touratech spoilers on the way, so I'll give that a shot first.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #1448
irongrady
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
The tall BMW windscreen and adventure winglets have been the perfect setup for me on the GS. I'm 6ft even about 170..
irongrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #1449
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
It comes with a tall screen and a short screen...never tried the small one and never tried the tall one in the lower position....had given up trying to find a low screen that will work. I forget the exact measurements, but as I recall where I have it set it's about 2" taller than a stock GSA screen.

I mean, if you hold your hand in front of your stomach while riding, how far up do you have to raise your hand to feel where the wind coming over the screen hits you? I was hoping for that info with your adjustable screen at its lowest setting.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:31 AM   #1450
aschnell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
I have the wunderlich adjustable screen. Hot here yesterday so I rode with it in the lower position. I think the wind hit my chest/shoulders, but want paying that close attention. Lots of airflow on my whole helmet. But I don't know if I have the large or small upper shield on (think it is taller) or where I have it bolted up . That setup has so many adjustments. There are quick release levers to move the Shield up and down(which I can do while riding), but the upper shield also has slots to move it up and down where it is bolted to the supports (can't do while riding, may need a tool as well? )
I am 6 ft, I like the screen. Hated how hot I got with the stock adv screen, now I can raise /lower based on temp and weather while moving. In the upper position I seem to get less buffeting than stock adv screen. I ride a Ds helmet with a small visor on it.
aschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #1451
DownunderBrian
B2

Oddometer: 75
AF330 on 2010-2012 GS?

I was just about to order my Givi AF330 when I noticed this warninig on the twisted throttle website..

This screen does not fit the 2010 and later models. The two pivot points on the front of the screen were previously fitted with shouldered plastic washers. The 2010 redesign omitted these washers. The hole in the 2010 model is technically too large for this screen application. A spacer or washer will be needed to to take up that space and install the screen properly. We do not have a simple solution for the 2010 and later model years so it is not a recommended application. Buy and install at your own risk and ingenuity on the 2010 and later R1200GS. Works flawlessly for model years 2004-2009

What?? Anyone with a 2010+ got one of these screens fitted? Givi website also says up to 2009, although I did not find this disclaimer on givi website.

Bummer... Back to the drawing board.
DownunderBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #1452
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
6'6" here, tried GS, GS+Winglets, GSA, GSA+Touratech extender, ZTechnik VStream Z2418 tall screen....
the VStream being the best but also the most heavy and the least fun screen.
Settled on this during the warmer months. Wunderlich Flowjet, not cheap but the bike is much more fun with it.

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 01:53 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #1453
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 865
Update on Aeroflow Sport Tall on '05 R12GS

The wife & I rode down from Queens, NYC to Williamsburg, VA over Memorial Day weekend via DE1, US113, US13. 830-mile round trip. First off, stoopid me for not realizing that was a big beach weekend and I chose a major beach road.

The screen directed a lot more air to my sides, which flowed almost directly into the torso vents of my Tourmaster Transition I. The top laminar flow went over my helmet (I'm 6'1", 32" inseam) such that I could ride with the faceshield up at 80mph with no problem.

I got the new screen because the stocker directed the wind right into my wife's helmet (5'2", 26" inseam) and rattled her head around like a pebble in a tin can. She reported that she got less air on her sides with the Aeroflow but that her head was rattle-free. I could also hear her better over the AutoComm (when it wasn't cutting out midw-).

Overall, we're both very happy with the Aeroflow Sport Tall.

I am able to easily see over the top of the screen, and I even got fewer bug splats on my face shield (except for that big sucker that suddenly smacked me on the cheek on I-64 and nearly made me poop my pants).

IBA # 55612
Monsignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #1454
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
The key is, with enough patience (and money), you can figure out an excellent solution. In my case, a +4/+2 Cee Baileys, Winglets, and a Laminar Lip, and it's just fantastic.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #1455
Gompie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
6'6" here, tried GS, GS+Winglets, GSA, GSA+Touratech extender, ZTechnik VStream Z2418 tall screen....
the VStream being the best but also the most heavy and the least fun screen.
Settled on this during the warmer months. Wunderlich Flowjet, not cheap but the bike is much more fun with it.
hi, are your really 100% out of the turbulent flow with the Flowjet? I'm 6.4, have the flowjet, but my seat is higher than yours. I find that if i sit 'active', forward & like a girl (back arched in) it is heaven. When i slump back like the typical male I start to pick up some turbulence at the bottom of my helmet
Your Flowjet looks good in black. Mine's white, inside painted black, and i've set it further back (and higher, only used one bolt each side) so the pointed bits are in the same plane as the headlights. It has less angle too that way, but frankly it's there for the looks & instrument glare only. Having no screen is the same from an airflow point of view...
Gompie is offline   Reply With Quote