Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
selkins OP
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,486
Gimme the Dirty Truth on batteries

I'm trying to figure out if the "new hotness" of lithium-based motorcycle batteries is based on geek-tech-fetish, or something real. So, input and reflections about the practicalities are welcome. Here is my current situation and battery assessment based on a modicum of research.

Situation: Bought my first fancy battery about two years ago, upgrading from a traditional, $60 flooded lead acid battery to an Odyssey AGM ("starved electrolyte") battery. I noticed immediately that the "oomph" on starting was a bit weaker, but it otherwise handled well until a near non-start situation on a 28 degree morning in Wall, SD several weeks ago - due I presume to the cold + generally lower starting power. I'm planning a trek to Inuvik in the late summer, and I anticipate mornings in the 20s. I want a battery that will reliably start my bike, and it seems to me the current Odyssey ain't it.

Options, as I see them:

1) A decent sealed flooded lead acid battery. - $67

2) Another AGM battery - $75

3) A Shorai lithium battery - $230

It seems to me that unless I have a total fetish for shedding pounds (give me a break, I'm riding a 1200gs) or a total aversion to using a trickle charger, I'm best off with #1. It's got stronger cranking power than #2, and better than 1/3 the cost of #3.

I know many of you have more knowledge and experience than me on these matters. So - what do you think?

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote