Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #316
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
When a detractor crosses the line and calls into question the the veracity, intellengence or judgment of anyone who disagrees with them you should expect indignation. Do you like being called stupid or a liar? If you pick a fight, what do you expect?

This isn't just a Ural thing, just about any thread on ADV about Harleys or BMW's draws out the same type of keyboard hero who feels compelled to make outrageous exaggerations, and cause trouble. At one point it got so out of hand on a Harley thread the mods started threatening the ban hammer.

There are bikes I don't like, or have had bad experiences with, but I don't constantly shit on them and the folks who have other opinions.
I owned a few Harleys, I was really dissatisfied with them on almost all levels, yet I am disgusted by the constant trash talk about them here.
The very first posts after BOKAD's initial post are personal attacks on him, not reasoned opinions. The Uralistas shat on him first. I don't take his post as picking a fight at all. He anticipated (correctly) that he would be attacked, and he was.

BTW, I own an IMZ myself, but it's just a bike to me, not a lifestyle. Some of the folks here need to diversify their hobbies.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #317
ktrout01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
The very first posts after BOKAD's initial post are personal attacks on him, not reasoned opinions. The Uralistas shat on him first. I don't take his post as picking a fight at all. He anticipated (correctly) that he would be attacked, and he was.

BTW, I own an IMZ myself, but it's just a bike to me, not a lifestyle. Some of the folks here need to diversify their hobbies.
Very eloquently said !

2003 BMW F650GS
ktrout01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #318
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:

I guess you missed the disparaging rants about Russia and "Ural deniers" in the OP? Also he received criticism for the tone of his post from several non Uralistas.

I have a collection of 20+ antique tractors, do organic vegetable gardening, and have other interests as well, but why would I talk about them here in a sidecar sub forum on a MC web site?

Little attempt at a dig there because I have the audacity disagree with you?
Nice.

My first post in this thread, no personal attacks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Well I have been very happy with my Ural, it has been my only transportation for over 4 years and close to 70,000 km. It has not been perfect, but I have never owned a perfect vehicle, what issues I have had were easy and inexpensive to take care of. It preformed well and has proven to be a good value for me.

They are hand made, old school technology, and can't be fairly compared to the latest, greatest bikes on the market. they are like if Jeep still made the CJ, or Volkswagen the original Beetle. If you want a modern rig, build a modern rig , don't buy a Ural.

Hard and confusing to work on? I just don't get that statement, I have found it to be the simplest vehicle I have ever worked on. Definitely not a bike for gas-n-go folks, but hard to work on, thats just funny.

Sometimes Ural threads are like Harley threads, their "shortcomings" get amplified when they don't live up to expectations that were not realistic to begin with, If a bike becomes more about what it doesn't do then clearly it was the wrong choice for that particular persons desires.
This thread does show there are obviously some personalities than won't mesh well with a Ural, and are closed to the fact everyone's experiences are unique.

I like Urals, I like what they do and how they do it, and have found mine to be very pleasant to own, In fact I have enjoyed it far more than any other bike I have owned, and I have no desire to downgrade to something more modern and complicated.

windmill screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 09:26 AM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #319
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,081
Windmill:

Sorry, that wasn't meant as a dig about you or how diversified your hobbies might be. The larger notion I was trying to express is: If people really take some random guy's opinion on the internet seriously enough to be personally offended by it, to the point that it seems to be ruining their day, they need to be paying attention elsewhere.

No more for me. Have a great day everybody! Ride fast and take chances!
Old 06-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #320
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry, that wasn't meant as a dig about you or how diversified your hobbies might be. The larger notion I was trying to express is: If people really take some random guy's opinion on the internet seriously enough to be personally offended by it, to the point that it seems to be ruining their day, they need to be paying attention elsewhere.

No more for me. Have a great day everybody! Ride fast and take chances!
I'm sure you are correct about some folks, it does go both ways. For me, as a truck driver, there is little else to do with my down time sitting in the cab of a truck. And yes I'll admit I did let his personal attack get under my skin, my bad.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #321
SkagitStan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
This thread makes me think of arguments declaring which is the "worst" dog breed.
I have Malamutes (and a Ural). Mals are my favorite breed. They are not a breed for everyone.

Some folks say Mals (Urals) are a shit breed because they suffer from selective hearing, they don't win speed races, sometimes are a bit clumsy going around corners. They can be amazingly independent, and love to argue. They don't fetch frisbees (they prefer a catch-and-chew policy), they are amateur landscapers, and they shed incredible amounts of fur. Like other large breeds, they don't live as long, and are more prone to breakdowns out of the factory (like bad hips from iffy breeders), than little yap-yaps. Without proper care and maintenance they will break down sooner than the yap-yap.

So why would someone get one? Hopefully, because after doing their research, and committing to the training and care, they will find that there is really someone in there...(or a bike with some personality and challenge). Not just a loud, zoomie little rat, or a dull witted setter (not that there's anything wrong with loud, zoomie little rats, or dull witted setters). A Mal(Ural) is someone they can work with, learn with, even argue with. Mals are incredibly intelligent, Urals not so much. A Mal (Ural) is someone that can go places with you that you'd never dare take a chihuahua, and also take into town. A general purpose working dog with a lineage that is close to the original that first hooked up with people. It isn't an over-bred, over-refined single-purpose unit.

Some folks get a Mal (Ural) WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THEY ARE GETTING INTO because of how incredibly cute a Mal puppy (Ural picture/UDF) is. When adolescence hits, they then want to dump the dog instead of working to make it a great pet. It's not the dog's problem, it's the owner's problem.

If you want a turnkey, no effort dog, don't get a Mal. If you want a turnkey, no effort bike, don't get a Ural. But, if you're willing to put in the effort and understanding, you will find both bring great reward.

SkagitStan screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 10:58 AM
SkagitStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #322
davide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
If you want a turnkey, no effort dog, don't get a Mal.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #323
immulmen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post
If you want a turnkey, no effort dog, don't get a Mal.
True,,,,,,,,,get a Boarder Colly, it's not hard to teach a dog that constantly wants to be told what to do,,,,,,Just don't leave it home all day because it will find something to do and you probably won't like what it does. Like chewing up the couch because he can't get the ball from under it. And they need constant attention just like some Motorcycles!
See they all have problems!!!!!!
immulmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #324
JerseyBlues
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
This thread's gone to the dogs...

"You can ride farther in one hour than you can walk in a day"
JerseyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #325
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBlues View Post
This thread's gone to the dogs...
So far so good!!! Just wait till the SS crowd get this into republican vs democrat flame!!! We can't be lucky that long: they should start soon insulting everyone!!!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #326
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
So far so good!!! Just wait till the SS crowd get this into republican vs democrat flame!!! We can't be lucky that long: they should start soon insulting everyone!!!
Hey now, be fair,

Myself, and many of the "SS crowd" don't participate in those "dog fights".
Old 06-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #327
rob_w
n00b

Oddometer: 4
My experience:
I own a 06 tourist, which I bought new. I commute with it everyday, except in the winter, though I do not go on the expressways with it. I also use it for utility, hauling whatever I can fit into the tub, when the need arises. I own two other motorcycles which remain in storage. When I researched Ural in 2005-6 I knew what I was getting into, and had expected to possibly spend money after warranty period for any failure, but so far the only money spent has been for basic maintenance. Because the maintenance is so easy, I find myself checking things far more often than recommended intervals. As of now, both of my cylinder heads are cracked, and have been for a few years, I am monitoring this and keeping an eye on the alternator bearings. I have had warranty work done, where a cylinder and piston were replaced, I have been through 3 pairs of those ridiculous compliance fittings, just recently switching to Mikuni’s. I’ve seen the paint on my gas tank melt off before my eyes.. My starter never works, (think just a relay problem) spokes loosten up, pusher wheel bearings shot after 5000k , have to put air in the tires every week I know my story isn’t that bad, Hell this is the only motorcycle I’ve ever ridden that I actually do a “safety check” before I ride, This machine requires your love, and money… hopefully not to much of the latter. I tell people the truth in my UDF sessions too, It’s a Russian piece of crap, its not for everyone, but I love it.
rob_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #328
ruckuschick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
ruckuschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #329
ruckuschick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Dogs in Urals

so what is the best breed of dog to ride in the sidecar of a Ural?
ruckuschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #330
jackstrat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Wow, is this thread still going?

My two cents: If you own it, you can complain about it. Period.

I loved our '07 Ural. Wish we still had it. Been looking over Ural.com the past few months. Drool. Wipe. Drool.

The Ural was / is the first motorcycle I bought where the dealer (Mike from Wagners) spent 5+ hours in orientation, including how to adjust valves, carbs, you name it. Geez, the HD dealer spent like 5 minutes in orientation for a $20K motorcycle (only to find out you can start the dang thang without a key, talk about bright and modern engineering!)

We had zero problems with the Ural, but not sure I would have taken it too terribly far from home, but many have.

I think they are overpriced, but if you break the costs down it ain't too far off the mark: Tug is worth at least $5,000, the sidecar another $5,000, reverse another $1000, 2WD another $1000, cool leading link forks: $1500, etc., yep, it adds up...

Thanks for an entertaining thread!

JackL
UralLess in Chicago
jackstrat is offline   Reply With Quote