ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #3811
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Hi all again

I finally got in touch with Garmin Europe the other day, thanks to who posted their phone number

They do NOT send out the unit like they do in USA. So, I cannot pay 170 and when I receive the refurbished unit send the faulty one back and get my money back when they receive it :(

I can send it in then wait five days for them to send it to an address. I don't have one, so after some discussion they will allow me to drop it off in Southhampton, then go away and pick it up from there in five days, although I did get the feeling it may be sooner

So I will do that in a few weeks when I get my passport back from getting visas.

It failed right in the middle of Vienna the other day, it took a few attempts to get the map back. It seems to fail while riding and missing a turn, so it is recalculating while you ride and you have now gone the wrong way which confuses it.

I am muddling along with it, but I might buy a cheap TomTom as backup to get me around.

My enthusiasm for this product is waning.

One thing that may be causing the issues though is not the battery but the data card, I have noticed when trying to get Geocache info it hangs as well, but removing batteries and and card solves the issue, but when it reloads all data from scratch, as soon as it loads it, it shuts down. Then when I turn it on again it takes one fifth of the time before it is ready to use

Anyway, roll on Southhampton

Cheers
TS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #3812
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Try looking under the View menu and see if you have an option to "View 2D Map Only". On the Mac, there is an option to "View both 2D and 3D Maps" which gives a split screen. Select the "View 2D Map Only"
That was it,thanks you.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #3813
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Navigating Route and Following Track Simultaneously

Went for a four-hour ride yesterday as I continue to "explore" the Montana before heading out on a month-long ride to the southwest in July-August. I had been using a 276C since 2005, have an RT, so I never ride off-road. That said, as some had suggested, I thought displaying a track (made from a route) while navigating that route would be useful (in case the unit recalculated my route, I could see where it had deviated from my original plan. Yes, I do have the Montana to prompt me before re-calculating a route). I tried displaying a track while navigating a route yesterday and ran into a few glitches. Maybe someone has a few answers/tips to offer.

1) First off, I found it hard to see the route/track while displayed simultaneously. I had picked "green" as the track colour. Is there a better colour to use when the track's overlaid on a route?

2) At one point I turned off the display of the track, but turned it back on a bit later (while still navigating my route). When I did this, everything went bonkers. The Montana somehow switched from my Motorcycle profile to Automotive. Among other things, it started to recalculate my route without prompting (is this tied into each profile, as I had the GPS set to prompt me before a recalc?). I pulled over and switched back to my Motorcycle profile. I then switched off display of the track. Should I be able to display a track at the same time as navigating a route? If yes, is there some particular sequence I should be using? Once I start, should I be able to switch the track display on and off when I choose to without the unit switching profiles on me?

3) Finally, during a four-hour ride, the unit unexpectedly powered off twice (I'm using the rugged mount and the GPS was in there securely). It also did this once in April while I was using it in the car on a weekend road trip. Yes, I have put electrical tape on the battery and it fits in the compartment snuggly. It powered back up after I pushed the power button and it was still navigating the selected route. I'm on my third new unit since buying it at the end of November. I sure hope I have better luck when I'm on the road with it this summer.

marco polo screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 12:09 PM
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #3814
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,071
@TravellingStrom

sorry to hear about all your troubles with Montana.
have you upgraded to the latest non-beta 4.10 release yet?
if so... does it help or not?
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #3815
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
@TravellingStrom

Yes, I had updated the firmware to 4.10 before this ride.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #3816
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Marco,

I navigate that way as well. I set the track as a thinner black line and the route as a the wider magenta or blue color. Making the track a thin line makes it very easy to see it overlayed on the route line.

I still get the unit shutting down for no reason from time to time. It seams to be happening more with the latest firmware than it was with the latest beta. I think it's just a feature.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #3817
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Marco,

I navigate that way as well. I set the track as a thinner black line and the route as a the wider magenta or blue color. Making the track a thin line makes it very easy to see it overlayed on the route line.

I still get the unit shutting down for no reason from time to time. It seams to be happening more with the latest firmware than it was with the latest beta. I think it's just a feature.
I'll try those colour choices. Thanks. Didn't know you could change the width, or colour, of the route. Pray tell, where do I do that?

As for the Montana "feature", at least we didn't pay extra for it.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #3818
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

When you select your track in the track manager you can set the color there.
IBA #33260
Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #3819
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
When you select your track in the track manager you can set the color there.
But not the "width" of the Track (or Route). A track of any color will always show beneath, or through, the Active Route.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #3820
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Thanks. That's what I meant to say. I just assumed I had changed the width of the track since it's only half the width of the route.

It's super easy to see them this way.
IBA #33260
Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #3821
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
I'd like to be able to change the color of the track at certain points through out the ride,but can't figure out how to do that-is that something that can be done? I started a ride in yellow,got to a technical section and wanted to record it in red,but when I viewed the track-the whole thing was red. I even tried to turn the recording off while it was yellow,and tried turning back on the recording reature a bit down the trail (red),only to find it still only showed up in one color. Any ideas?
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #3822
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
I'd like to be able to change the color of the track at certain points through out the ride,but can't figure out how to do that-is that something that can be done? I started a ride in yellow,got to a technical section and wanted to record it in red,but when I viewed the track-the whole thing was red. I even tried to turn the recording off while it was yellow,and tried turning back on the recording reature a bit down the trail (red),only to find it still only showed up in one color. Any ideas?
Multiple tracks (joining along the way) with multiple colors ????????
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #3823
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
@TravellingStrom

Yes, I did install the official release and have only ridden 500km with it. I have not been in a big city yet so cannot tell if anything has changed. It is very slow to recalculate(compared to my TomTomRider II) so that by the time it recalculates the route I have missed the next turning also
Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #3824
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Setup->Tracks->Color=your_choice, then when you want to change color, Track Manager->Current Track->Save Track, then back to Setup->Tacks->Color=your_new_color. Repeat.

It would be nice if we had some additional Setup options for Track's in the Shortcut's area (they have been asked for - but not by enough folks to move them up the list).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #3825
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Yes, I did install the official release and have only ridden 500km with it. I have not been in a big city yet so cannot tell if anything has changed. It is very slow to recalculate(compared to my TomTomRider II) so that by the time it recalculates the route I have missed the next turning also
Regarding your slow recalc, I have seen that condition when I had multiple routable maps installed on the unit and both were Enabled. If you unit continues to display that behavior, I would call Product Support and have the unit repaired/replaced.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS