User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Antennas OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Nova Scotia and beyond

I am going to start this thread to put my riding in. Mostly Nova Scotia but the plan is for it to include all the Maritimes and Newfoundland.

So for now a couple quick rides around Nova Scotia.

So a wonderful day was finally here and it was warm enough to get out and not freeze to death on the bike. So a short run was in order on the KLR650. The sun was shining and it was around 8 degrees Celsius. Cool in the shade and warm in the sunshine type of spring day.
Here is a look at the route.

Not a long ride but it was nice to get out and shake off the cobwebs!!

Bear river was nice as usual. It's a quaint sleepy little village.

This is the view going down into Bear River from Lansdowne Rd. I guess you can't really see the dip in this pic but it dips deeply and then back up the other side. The river goes through the middle portion where the main village is.

Here is the river. The fire dept is just on the right hand side there in the picture. Nice blue sky in both pictures!!

I rode out of Bear River through the Middlesex Rd that goes towards Clementsvale or Greendale. I went to Clementsvale when I came to the T junction in the road.

Once on the Clementsport road you will enjoy the riding. It has many turns as it follows the river and is fun to ride. There is a small park there beside the river.

Through Clementsvale then into Clementsport. Again you will come to a T junction. Right in front of you , you will see the old rail bridge and a couple monuments. Here are the monuments.

The "TRIP HAMMER" .

The plaque explanation. Who knew?? I didn't!!

It was then back via the number 1 highway through Deep Brook and Smith's Cove.

Total for the day....53.4 Km and 49 minutes total. The new heated hand grips really worked well!!

http://ridethemaritimes.blogspot.ca

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/bay...y-harbour.html
Antennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
Antennas OP
Adventurer

March 21

It was such a nice day that I had to go for a ride. I wore my rain pants and wore a fleece against the cold, but soon was too hot and took them off. Which was odd since this time last year I was freezing my ass off and the rides were not that much fun. But today was amazing and it was so warm that the wind was warm.

Here is a map of the route. I have been to Shelburne before but never taken the 203 and I wanted to see what it was like. Not really exciting, and not in great shape at all!!

It was an amazing day and the weather could not have been better!

Even the water and sky was co-operating in Digby as it was calm and the sky clear and blue. A good start.

I went up the 101 towards Weymouth and stopped for a quick snapshot in Gilbert's Cove, which is a scenic little spot.

View this larger and you can see the windmills across the bay. The water is very calm as well.

The lighthouse at Gilbert's Cove. Such a nice day!! Are we sure this is March???

Anyway on towards Weymouth on the 101. Through Weymouth and onto the 340 Hwy and towards Corberrie and such.

A mink farm along the highway. There are quite a few along here and you can tell you are close by the smell! Not as bad as a pig farm but close!! It is big business here as mink pelts can fetch $100 each and there are thousands of minks in those farms! Lots of people employed on mink ranches.

A nice view along the road in Kemptville. The water was so calm and it must be a nice place to boat and recreate.

The fire tower beside the highway near East Kemptville. Must be a nice view from up there!!

So off I go and then I see this sign by the side of the road. Hmmm the pavement doesn't look bad right here. Maybe they exaggerated?

Noooo they did not. The road went to shit ASAP and stayed that way for a long time!! I know it's hard to tell in the photo but that rut was almost 7-8 inches deep and worse in places!! There were also spots where there was this deep broken groove and beside it a nice ridge 6-7 inches high beside it. Really shitty and not something you want to navigate around a curve. Where are the road crews???

This is just past middle Ohio and was very nice to see rushing along. I see some enterprising person made an Innukshuk on the large rock out there. Quite an effort.

This is a view down the water outside of Shelburne. You can see the cranes and such from the shipyard down there.

Here is the shipyard and a ship being worked on.

Another ship in the shipyard. I just noticed the name and the Inuit text under the English name. There was also a military ship in there but I couldn't get a clear picture of it. It must have been an MCDV vessel. The smaller coastal defense vessel run primarily by the reserves.

A large fishing vessel going to sea as it passes by the light on the way out.

I didn't know there was a film studio along the south shore, but there it is!! It looks quite large and has a number of big buildings surrounded by a large fence. Guess they don't want uninvited guests!

Summerville Beach. A view along the shoreline.

Another view of the beach. Nice sand and there are a few folks out walking and enjoying the warm weather and wading in the sand.

This is some very fast water in Milton. I think it is the Mersey river. Milton is just outside of Liverpool.

After that it's just along the #8 back towards home through Bear river.

It was so nice it was incredible. Total 421 Km's in 5 hours 17 mins.

Thanks for looking.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Driv3r
b00b

Oddometer: 289
Pretty close to my neck of the woods! Looks like a fun trip!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Antennas OP
Adventurer

Ya it was. Hard to complain with the weather today!!

Old 03-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
BTL
WINTER!! UGH!

Oddometer: 405
Great pics...makes me miss the Maritimes...
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
RickyBilly
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 139
Nova Scotia

What a great part of the world you live in. Thanks for the pics! hope to get there this summer.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
RidingUpAndDown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Great picts. Beautiful Country! Some stunning scenery, great history, food, culture... really wonderful place to live and visit.

Look fwd to a return visit soon.

Thanks, d
Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Antennas OP
Adventurer

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Hope to see you all down here in the summer. PM me and stop in for a chat.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #9
Antennas OP
Adventurer

Liverpool and Bridgewater
So a nice day was forecast and I had a day off. So I figured I would go over towards the opposite shore and explore some coastline I have not had the chance to see yet. So I went towards Liverpool and then Bridgewater. Taking in the shore. Here is a look at the route.

I chose the route through Victory and then onto the Number 8 highway to Liverpool. It's a fun ride and it consists of dirt along the Victory portion. You could get a car through, as I think many people do as there are lots of cottages on it. Possible bear sightings along the commercial berry fields are exciting too.

So start off by taking exit 25 at Smith's cove but go the other way towards Bear River.

Then once you see this sign take the right turn and go down Jefferson Rd. You will go through Greenland which is a very small little area with a few homes.

Once through Victory you will arrive on the number 8 highway and go right towards Liverpool. After a few kilometers you will see a sign on the right and a nice little picnic pullout area.

This sign tells about the beginnings of the area.

The picnic area and the river.

No rolling around in the grass or some naughty activity if travelling with your significant other as that could go bad!!

The river from the small bridge.

A note to fishermen. Invasive species are a problem everywhere I guess.

This spot is a few more kilometers along the road. I didn't go in but just captured the sign picture.

Once in Liverpool I realized I was missing a bolt that holds on the back rack. For a second time. Damn it again?? So I went in here and they were very helpful. Let me borrow a 13mm wrench to put the bolt in and let wash up in the staff bathroom after I got all dirty putting it in. Home Hardware stores are nice and helpful. So try these folks if you need anything in Liverpool.

Fort Point lighthouse in Liverpool. It's a nice scenic spot and is right in Liverpool, so if you are there it's an easy look. A good walk around the property will stretch your legs after a long ride and the sea breezes will cool you off.

Once in Liverpool there is the Fort Point light. A nice little spot with a gift shop and some information about it's history.

The lighthouse itself with the gift shop on this side.

The story about the privateers history. Liverpool was a base for privateers.

Guarding the shore of Liverpool.

Once out of Liverpool I went off and rode the shoreline. I rode so far I came to East Berlin! Didn't see an old wall or anything though!! I have no idea what a Pudding Pan is but apparently it is from around 1812.
I missed getting a picture of the West Berlin sign but you ride through it before getting to East Berlin.

The beach near East Berlin on East Berlin road.

Along the Brooklyn Shore road. The sign tells you about Coffin Island. The lighthouse on it and it's history in the area. Named for a family name Coffin and not some other more dire derivative. Read all about it here.
http://www.nslps.com/light-detail.aspx?ID=94&M=IP&N=3

This is a picture of the fish shacks or huts out on the island.

Right out at the end of the road is a sand beach. But it's closed somewhat as it is a nesting area for Plovers. Cool. I didn't see any but maybe next time.

A patriotic person had this in their yard. Good guy!!

Port Medway is a small fishing spot and some folks were bringing in their catch as I walked around.

Sign giving a bit of the history of the area.

About to dock in Port Medway and unload the catch.

Port Medway lighthouse.

A sign telling you approximately where you are in the grand scheme of things. Well not so grand but you get the idea. After this it was off to the LaHave river area. It divides the land for quite awhile and at the start is Bridgewater. There is a ferry where you can cross but the times didn't work out and I rode along the river up to Bridgewater. One day I will take it for some fun. The ride along the LaHave is fun and has some great twists and great views of the other side.

History of the LaHave light.

This is the light on the LaHave river.

I saw two of these guys today. They are Blandings turtles and are endangered. I picked them up and moved them off the road. Both tried to pee on me without any luck. HA!

So from there it was back home via the number 8 and back through Bear River again. Was a nice day even though a little colder than I thought it would be. The breeze was blowing off the water onto the land and that makes a huge difference in temperature.
I hope you get down into this area as it's very neat and there are so many small villages and great back roads to ride and relax on.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
vipers28
GSA Mountains

Oddometer: 108
It is so good to see home again! I grew up in Bridgetown. Funny to see you passed through Bear river, lived there for several years too. The picture of the river in Bear RIver was good to see, I used to fish and play in there all the time. Used to have an arcade in town too, had my first rum and coke exp there at an early age. I have done some of the same loops as you and the pictures just take me back to my trips. I used to do the Bridgewater cut off to see if I could get home quicker-only if I sped through it all.

Anyway, keep on roll'in and thanks for sharing. I miss my home sometimes.

vipers28 screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 12:55 PM
vipers28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
BeemerBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
great pics. Brings back memories of my motorcycle trip from Cape Breton to Yarmouth a few years ago. Time to do it again soon. thanks for sharing.
BeemerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
WildsideRider
Cruiser Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Awesome! I grew up in Clementsport so this really brings back some great memories. Thanks for taking the time to post the RR and keep em comin!! :)
WildsideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,802
PM me the next time you're going out. I'm back on shift work and have plenty of time off. Always looking for a ride...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 688
nice ride

I long for the day when the weather and my schedule work together.

YK
Old 06-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
Antennas OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
PM me the next time you're going out. I'm back on shift work and have plenty of time off. Always looking for a ride...
Ok will do. It's hard to find other shift workers to go with and who's schedules coincide.

Thanks to everyone else for looking and the comments.