Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #76
portablejohn
Sociophobe

Oddometer: 1,120
If I was going to ride cross Russia, I would buy a Russian motorcycle, in China, a Chinese one. Not sure what I would buy in Africa or South America. I would buy the most popular brand of motorcycle in the area that I was riding through. Then there would be plenty of spare parts, and mechanics that knew how to fix them.

portablejohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #77
dutchie
Lower than most

Oddometer: 79
Having ridden beemers for 10 years now, I know they are "empfindlich".

For a long trip thru the middle of nowhere, they are not suitable.

Buy a transalp 600 (till '96 , when they were still built in Japan) and stop teasing the Ewan wannabees overhere
dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #78
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,371
Thumbs down

I'd ride my GSA anywhere in confidence. But if I was planning a arduous offload route that I'd have to do at speed I might elect to go with something else. It shouldn't be of any great surprise to anyone that riding any 550 lbs bike at speed off road isnt going to be sustainable the bigger more tech laden ride has limits - no surprise there - just like a smaller bike has its limits and people have their limits in terms of risk adversity, mechanical capability and ability to maintain and spare their bike on the trail. Is the gs mile for mile less reliable? Tough call as many have pointed out there are tons of them out there rackin up miles on various terrain. As far as the attitude some have tossed out of the intrepid adventurer being somehow more valid as a motorcyclist and how and where you ride somehow should dictate what you ride is complete shit. If you need to validate yourself by knocking other and heaping scorn on them for not riding their bike within your construct of approved use then you're a douche and should really consider that what motivates you and puts a smile on your face isn't the same as the next guy. Live and let live and let go of your preconceptions and save your judgmental opinion for a time and place where your opinion matters. Ask me where I've ridden my bike and I'll tell you without embarrassment that Ive not ridden rtw or through the jungle of Borneo. Most of the miles like my suv have been on the slab but like the suv it's been off road made a few cross country trips and been to fairly remote places. You want to challenge your sense of adventure join the military as a front line soldier like the infantry and go into combat, self funded recreational experiences dangerous though they may be are done for fun.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #79
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,193
Well said CanadianX!

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #80
ca1ic0cat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I've never had my GS actually break

My Ducati left me stranded several times. So did my Yamaha. Hondas and BMWs, never. Added a Kawasaki to the barn recently but I think that's a safe bet.

Of course the flip side is that you have to keep the maintenance up to date or something will break. But that applies to anything.

As far as riding around the world goes I might consider a Kawasaki KLR650 as well as the BMW. If there are areas where the Kawasaki has the advantage it might be dealer / parts network and bog simple. Either make it easier to fix. Just that pesky chain to maintain.

Heck, if those two Hungarian guys made it around the world on a Harley back in the 1919 time frame I guess tenacity is the major part of it.
ca1ic0cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #81
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
My 2005 GS was an October 2004 build. Right cylinder liner failed at 12K and took the piston with it. Transmission input seal failed. Brakes rotors warped. Gray seats had mildew form inside them. (All covered under warranty.) For reliability, it was a real piece of crap.

So I showed BMW. I traded it in on a new 2009.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #82
turnerm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
4 years and counting, no real issues.
I had that dumb key immobilizer issue but thats about it, oh and the fuel gauge.

Ive owned 4 other BMW's and the worst thing was a failed rear shock seal at 18k miles on my R1100S.

Not saying BMW's don't break, but many don't.

I bought a new Ducati 996. In the first 6 months (6k miles) it needed the following to be replaced:
-crank shaft
-camshafts
-other valve gear
-front brake discs
-clutch pushrod 2-3 times
-rear brake master cylinder

Some other stuff but I can't remember.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #83
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,195
It's true that reading any forum can make you very paranoid about your bike. I too have looked at the S10 and thought "maybe this is what I need. A reliable, much better value bike with a dealership every 30 miles!" but the truth is that I am still a "BMW guy" at heart. I'm on my 17th BMW, a 2005 GS, that I continually ride hard and beat the shit out of her with over 59,000 miles and I've never been left on the side of the road.

Worst case scenario...my bike craps it's FD and the repair is $2000. It's still much cheaper than a 2013 Tenere! Besides, I would have a tough time treating a new GS or S10 the way I treat this bike.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #84
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,910
All BMW's are junk, constantly seen on the side of the road broken down. Even tho I have never had of my 32 BMW's that I have owned over the years breakdown on me I know it will happen soon. Sigh... Buy a Tenare and avoid those POS BMW's and their poor reliability.
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #85
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
If you need to validate yourself by knocking other and heaping scorn on them for not riding their bike within your construct of approved use then you're a douche and should really consider that what motivates you and puts a smile on your face isn't the same as the next guy.
+1
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #86
madleemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
the bmw is unstoppable, the ads in the mags says so!
madleemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #87
HateRyder
Schtool

Oddometer: 157
I have an 06 R1200GS Adv with over 25k on it. I ride it off road and very long distance, often doing doing 800+ mile days during my too few trips during the year, Only issue, rear shock seal started leaking after I took it off the center stand at -20dg. Replaced with Elka. I do all the maintenance myself. I love this bike.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #88
NJ-GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
In the many rides I've taken to Starbucks - and I mean many - my BMW has never broken down. I had to replace the battery once, though.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #89
BluNozr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post

1. All things mechanical break.
2. People post about #1
Brevity is clarity. Well put Signal.
BluNozr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #90
italiano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
the bike for the third word

Sometimes reliable does not mean that will not break, for me can mean that you can fall down and still be able to be able to ride home (not a duc)or spending thousand fixin it, sometimes can mean that you can hit a very large poth hole bent your rim and still get home (not with an aluminium a light weel), or hit a gravel road and not have your transmision breaking because a little stone fallen between the rubber tooth (yes a harley), or put gas with a so large quantity of unknow things inside that your gas mielage goes twice the normal and still get home. Somethimes it means that you can travel two up with fully gear to telegraph creek 15,000 thousand miles from home and do not blow down your fork seals (not in a japanese bike) I live in a paradise for motorbikes (mexico) were you can find the most interesting twisty roads, and still make home. This is the most reliable bike ever.
italiano is offline   Reply With Quote