Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,977
Nice setup Jeff. I want that A60. Why the 2.5 in the back, are you going to run dual rimlocks on the rear?

I'm not a big fan of the 908 rear. IMO it has bad road manners and doesnt hook up all that well in the dirt. It does last fairly well though, but I think its a pretty mediocre tire. Others will of course disagree.

I just starting running a 140 Mefo and I like the tire very much for a semi-knobby. I put about 1000 miles on it in Baja and it did very well except for in places like the Matomi wash, although I think it does hook up better than the 908. If I am going to be riding a lot of sand wash, I like full knobs on the rear quite a bit better, but that's just me.

You might not be happy with the lack of sidewall stiffness of the TKC front, although it has great road manners. Seems I was always getting pinch flats with the TKC at around 20 psi, so I had to start running about 28 to keep that from happening.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,772
Hey Crash - how goes life back in da "world"?

The 2.5 rear is so that the rear footprint will be narrower which, so I'm told, will do better in the dirt. Dual rim locks would be nice too The other reason is I'm building this 990 for a Mongolia trip that will morph into a RTW trip. So, my thinking was that it should be easier to find tires to fit a 2.5 than the stock 4.25

I'm planing on trying the TUbliss setup on the A60 too

Now that I have these, the original wheels will be striped and new 19/17 rims will be mounted to the original hubs. So, in the end, I'll have a dirt only setup and a Street/DS setup - at least that was the idea

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Nice. You might notice a bit of a difference with the 2.5, but the real advantage IMO is running dual rim locks. PITA to change a tube though.

Wow, Mongolia and RTW. Sounds epic!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #19
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Wow, Mongolia and RTW. Sounds epic!
Well, looking at a globe, once you get to Mongolia why turn around and retrace your route? Might as well keep going West Anyway, it's an idea

BTW, The Baldone1 sold his 1150 & Harley and picked up a 950

Moto-Treks
Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #20
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Nice. You might notice a bit of a difference with the 2.5, but the real advantage IMO is running dual rim locks. PITA to change a tube though.
with the 908 on a 2.5 rim, changing a tube is misery. Fortunately the tire will survive flat with rim locks for a long time, at least getting you back home.

1000 CBR
200 KDX

Old 06-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Changing a tub in the boonies has always been a PIA for me Guess I need to order sone rim locks or better irons

Moto-Treks
Old 06-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
best is to have tubeless, easy fix and can be run low pressure without pinchflats
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #23
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yascher View Post
best is to have tubeless, easy fix and can be run low pressure without pinchflats
Oh man I would love to have tubeless I'm going to put the TUBliss system on the front but unfortunately, they don't make one for anything larger than 2.15 on the rear.

Moto-Treks
Old 06-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #24
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,660
...not to mention, the tire won't roll around on the rim with Tubliss - being that the high-pressure inner liner locks the bead onto the rim.

I'm planning on putting a Tubliss on the front - anybody know how they hold up on the pavement & high speeds?

I want to compliment the tubeless rear on this crazy set of Woody's wheels I got today

KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #25
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
Oh man I would love to have tubeless I'm going to put the TUBliss system on the front but unfortunately, they don't make one for anything larger than 2.15 on the rear.
If you use a tire with a thick side wall, the 2.15" Tubliss should be ok on a 2.5" rim. There are a couple of people who run them on their SEs with stock rims, including Crankshaft.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #26
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,031
I have a new 690R. It came with MT21's. I've only done about 750 miles so far and most on pavement, but I probably have 150 on dirt and some sloppy mud. Pretty good tire! The only negative is that they are really noisy on the pavement above 60mph. Never heard such a shriek...

Hope they last longer than the TKC tires I used on my old 950. BTW, those were noisy too.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #27
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post

I'm planning on putting a Tubliss on the front - anybody know how they hold up on the pavement & high speeds?

I don't know how different the Tubliss system is, but my son raced the Mexican 1000 last month aboard a new KTM 350 with the Michelin Bib Mousse tube replacement system. The first stage had a dry lakes section where he was pinned in the mid 90's for a long time. The rear tire totally disintegrated! Might not have had enough lube. The system was new to the team but they had no more problems after that and there were lots times they were pinned for long stretches. Maybe Tubliss doesn't suffer the high speed overheating issue?

Might want to PM Neduro here. He knows everything about these non-tube systems for off road racing. He's used them all from Michigan to Dakar. He probably has a helpful opinion.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #28
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
...not to mention, the tire won't roll around on the rim with Tubliss - being that the high-pressure inner liner locks the bead onto the rim.

I want to compliment the tubeless rear on this crazy set of Woody's wheels I got today

Wow - those are orange Looks like you had Woody seal the rear too.

Moto-Treks
Old 06-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #29
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Not sure how well a front Tubliss would hold up on a big bike or how it would affect high speed pavement? I guess worst case you could always put in a tube when you needed to. The Bib moose from what I understand is difficult to balance and has heat issues running on pavement at speed, but I havent tried on myself. Front tubes are easy enough to change out and since you will have to carry one anyway...........

I ran Woodys sealed spokes on the rear for quite a while. It was really nice when I picked up a nail. However tire life was a little shorter because I couldnt run to less than about 1/8" tread depth as they would develop numerous small cracks on the carcass that would leak air. Slowly at first, then after a while there were so many that I couldnt keep air in it. This was with both tube type and tubeless type tires, didnt seem to matter.

So at one point when I needed to get more life out of my rear tire, in my infinite wisdom I decided to put in a can a fix a flat..........that promtly ate through the material used to seal the spoke nipples. Goodbye tubeless, it was nice while it lasted.

crashmaster screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 09:13 AM
Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #30
moto-treks OP
Back Home

Quote:
cjracer has been using them at highway speeds without any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
If you use a tire with a thick side wall, the 2.15" Tubliss should be ok on a 2.5" rim. There are a couple of people who run them on their SEs with stock rims, including Crankshaft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I don't know how different the Tubliss system is, but my son raced the Mexican 1000 last month aboard a new KTM 350 with the Michelin Bib Mousse tube replacement system. The first stage had a dry lakes section where he was pinned in the mid 90's for a long time. The rear tire totally disintegrated! Might not have had enough lube. The system was new to the team but they had no more problems after that and there were lots times they were pinned for long stretches. Maybe Tubliss doesn't suffer the high speed overheating issue?

Might want to PM Neduro here. He knows everything about these non-tube systems for off road racing. He's used them all from Michigan to Dakar. He probably has a helpful opinion.
I've not heard of the TUBliss running hot. The way they are designed, there would be no friction between the high pressure tub and the tire. May need to do some investigating to see just how they hold up on a 2.5 rim

Moto-Treks