Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #61
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
I feel I should explain, I really WANTED a VW of some sort because after driving one, it is the closest thing to a BMW that I had driven. I loved the way it drove and felt. However, after this thread and talking to the three VW drivers I know, I decided against one solely because all I wanted and NEEDED was a solid totally reliable car that got good mileage AND was at least not BORING to drive. I can say at this point, the Focus has hit the mark! Of course I'll have to see how reliable it is but for the drive and econemy, it is already proven itself to me. I was pushing it again this morning down my road and left everyone behind so far they took about a minute of me sitting at the light to catch up when they normally are all on my ass to pass!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #62
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Well, its either a leaking head gasket or a stuck fuel injector, right? Sounds like they've beaten the fuel pump thing to death.
Yep, that's what I thought, but this turned into a reasonably big deal. VW turned it into a training day for its techs from around the country to show them how to disassemble the pump and diagnose if it was faulty. Apparently they found diesel in a section of the pump where there shouldn't have been any.

None of this has cost us a cent.
Kokopelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #63
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Yep, that's what I thought, but this turned into a reasonably big deal. VW turned it into a training day for its techs from around the country to show them how to disassemble the pump and diagnose if it was faulty. Apparently they found diesel in a section of the pump where there shouldn't have been any.

None of this has cost us a cent.
You're lucky. In the US, VW would tell us that the pump is leaking because of our poor quality fuel.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #64
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,067
Quote:
You're lucky. In the US, VW would tell us that the pump is leaking because of our poor quality fuel.
And then charge us US$10k to replace the entire fuel system.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #65
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Funny they can't get a diesel fuel system right. My 1986 Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel had 245K on it when I sold it. I bought it with about 180 K on it and owned and drove it every day for 8 years. I put a whopping .85c into it for repairs in that time, and probably 300 in maintenance. I talked tot he guy two years after I sold it and he was still driving it.

Why can VW not get this right?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #66
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
My 1982 diesel Rabbit lasted nearly to 300K miles with just maintenance despite being totaled twice.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #67
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
My 1982 diesel Rabbit lasted nearly to 300K miles with just maintenance despite being totaled twice.
Yeahbutt...now...whats up?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #68
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Yeahbutt...now...whats up?
Beats me, I'd buy a new VW diesel without concern but wouldn't do it thinking that it was going to be the cheapest option. I've found that I can't tolerate driving lifeless appliance type vehicles, despite trying. I can afford new VWs without hardship so they make sense for me. Not to mention that I've had great luck with them and never had a major mechanical issue while owning nearly a dozen of them (well I did put an engine in my 1971 westfalia).

I just traded in my '06 F150 at 64K miles with multiple major mechanical problems which I never would have predicted. The transmission was going (torque converter failure), the 4X4 actuators and front hubs were ruined, rear axle was dry because the diff cover rotted off over the winter and it was clicking/binding, it had multiple engine electricals replaced (throttle body, maf sensor, etc.), ABS problems and the other day the AC compressor siezed. There were other things I forgot I'm sure.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #69
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,583
[QUOTE=Sniper X;18816603
Why can VW not get this right?[/QUOTE]

Considering the huge number of VW Diesels on the road they have probably gotten it right. In Germany they sell loads of them. If they were as crappy as some people make them out to be, they would not sell any. Our car (my wife's) is a joy to drive. I do it once a week for 10 kms to pick up bread from the local baker on Saturday morning. The rest of the time I use the GS. I hate sitting in traffic, not even a nice car can get me to do that.
Kokopelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #70
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperX View Post
Funny they can't get a diesel fuel system right. My 1986 Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel had 245K on it when I sold it. I bought it with about 180 K on it and owned and drove it every day for 8 years. I put a whopping .85c into it for repairs in that time, and probably 300 in maintenance. I talked tot he guy two years after I sold it and he was still driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
Beats me, I'd buy a new VW diesel without concern but wouldn't do it thinking that it was going to be the cheapest option. I've found that I can't tolerate driving lifeless appliance type vehicles, despite trying. I can afford new VWs without hardship so they make sense for me. Not to mention that I've had great luck with them and never had a major mechanical issue while owning nearly a dozen of them (well I did put an engine in my 1971 westfalia).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Considering the huge number of VW Diesels on the road they have probably gotten it right. In Germany they sell loads of them. If they were as crappy as some people make them out to be, they would not sell any. Our car (my wife's) is a joy to drive. I do it once a week for 10 kms to pick up bread from the local baker on Saturday morning. The rest of the time I use the GS. I hate sitting in traffic, not even a nice car can get me to do that.
It's the poor fuel quality in the U.S., specifically its lubricity. The wear scar rating of U.S. diesel is 520. VW needs 460.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #71
jdiaz

Kokopelli is in New Zealand, IIRC. US fuel isn't to blame on his car.

Is there an additive one can use to obtain the desired wear scar rating?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #72
rdrce698
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
2009 GTI. 52,000 mostly trouble free miles. The dealer replaced the intake manifold under warrantee a while back. I do most of my own maintenance. I paid around 25k no money down with zero interest and at the time that was the best all around car for the money I could find. As soon as I drove it I was hooked. I really like it. 25-27 mpg mixed driving. I've gotten as much as 30 with all highway. My kids Accord is bulletproof and is a great first car for her but is no fun at all to drive. This thing does everything well, is comfortable and fun to drive.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #73
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post

It's the poor fuel quality in the U.S., specifically its lubricity. The wear scar rating of U.S. diesel is 520. VW needs 460.
can't some OTC additive fix that?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #74
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,792
Quote:
Kokopelli is in New Zealand, IIRC. US fuel isn't to blame on his car.

Is there an additive one can use to obtain the desired wear scar rating?
Yes. Stanadyne or biodiesel in small quantities, among others. There's a thread on it at Freds with breakdowns of the effects of all the major diesel additives on lubricity.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #75
jdiaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
Yes. Stanadyne or biodiesel in small quantities, among others. There's a thread on it at Freds with breakdowns of the effects of all the major diesel additives on lubricity.
Interesting. Illinois has 5-10% minimum blend of biodiesel across the board.....all the MBZ guys are freaking out because they can't get straight diesel here.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: