Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #61
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoody View Post
If you want to be super macho get an HD chopper or a 160 mph sports bike.
Still riding the wifes 650 twin around. And it is still a blast. I like my f8 a bit better, maybe because its not named "Betsy Blue". And my f8 wont do 80 in 2nd gear!!!

Ryan
Old 06-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #62
DW99 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I thought it had. First off let me say that I think either bike would be incredible to have and that either bike would do me just fine and that either bike will most likely handle anything i throw at it......so having decided that I was thinking i would go with the f650 because of price...those "few extra sheckles" that I had left over would have been put to farkles etc. However...my boss showed up last night to work with his new enduro/trail bike...the husaberg fe390...which he graciously allowed me to take out for a romp...I gotta say wow, what a bike. It was incredibly and surprisingly smooth for a dirt bike....the hydraulic clutch was like pure butter and the transmission was silk. It did however really make me wonder about height. getting on the bike was a bit tricky...once seated I could tippy toe with both and felt easily planted with the one up one down scenario...once riding the bike felt perfect and size wasn't really an issue.

So, I thought to myself...self....this just shows you that the f650 is most likely the best choice for you...until I compared set heights. his fe390 is at 985mm or 38.7 inches and the f800gs at the low seat height is 850mm or 33.5 inches.....that is a 5 inch difference!! that is easily a comfortable height for me...so now height is taken out of the question. either bike will do me in seat height just fine. so now it comes down to a few other issues...clearance, performance, price and availability and a test ride

Clearance: obviously the f8 wins in this category

performance: this one is debatable and i guess it depends on where I will be riding primarily. I am adding in to that mix the tire size and cast vs. spoked as well....I think both have their pros and cons and kinda cancel each other out....as I also think that the performance of each will be a sweet surprise to me no matter which one I go with

Price/availability: unfortunately this will be a large factor...or could be a large factor depending on what my dealer can do for me and what is available in the next couple of weeks when I get the finances finally sorted etc.

Test ride: I think this will be the final say...when I am finally able to ride both of them and compare back to back....and then factor in everything else I think that will give me my decision.

so to answer your question...I thought I had. I thought I had decided the f650 was the ticket....but now I see I am hopelessly lost...lol....however it is a nice place to be lost in to have the "issue" of trying to decide between these two incredible bikes.

I'm gonna thrown another wrench into the mix...my finances are there, but just taking some time to get everything set up right etc....I am away for vacation most of july and will be on the road for at least half of august for work...that leaves a bit of june, a bit of july and maybe september and a bit of october to get some riding in before the southern alberta weather machine closes in and the bike is pretty much parked for the season....so now this brings up the issue of....what is coming new for 2013? any one know? I have heard rumors of just a bit of cosmetic changes, if so then meh..i'll buy now....however if they have changed the seat to compete with the new 800xc option or if there is some new fangled super duper whatjamacallit that would bump either bike up another amazing notch maybe i should get my name on the waiting list for a new 2013 model. anyone have the inside scoop on this or any new info that has come to light in the last few days/weeks that isn't on a thread already lol.

I really do appreciate all the help and comments. thanks all.
DW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #63
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
I have no crystal ball but the rumor mill hints that the F800 may get more HP. I seems there is a version of the engine in another brand bike that puts out about 15 more ponies. It wouldn't have influenced my decision to buy the 650 but more HP in the 800 would seperate the two bikes more. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #64
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
He'd be referring to Husqvara (now owned by BMW). I have not heard that the 900cc version of the Rotax (Husky) would find it's way into any BMW bikes though.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/827/10...irst-Look.aspx
Old 06-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #65
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Nothing official or even semi official. A few posters have been claiming the 2012 bikes are becoming hard to find or even order. Seems strange, if true. Pretty early in the year to be shutting down production, unless gearing up for something new.

So lets start a rumor. The 900 Nuda is not coming to the US. Thats a fact not a rumor. What is BMW going to do with a 900cc engine that Husqvarna just spent money on?. That motor is a major renovation. Bored and stroked, then use a new crank design. Seems a waste, unless it goes into something that will sell.

Besides being something I want, BMW could differentiate between the current F650gs/F800gs line. The current model has been in production 5 years, time for a change?
Old 06-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #66
GrendelMk1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
So I read the first and last pages, because I'm a terrible, lazy person. My comments:

I own a 650. I commute on it every day, and I've ridden it through everything from gorgeous sun to slushy snow. I also take it off-road and flog it. I've had it doing descents where the back is locked and pushing a dam of crap and the front is chittering through rip-rap, and I've done 120 kph(!) on fire roads when they're flat and easy.

My biggest complaint with the 650 is that 1st gear is too tall. If 1st was 30% lower, I'd be a happy man. My (very distant) second complaint is that I'd like another inch or 2 of clearance for blowdowns and such. Other than that, my 650 makes about as much torque down low* as the 800 (so I've heard), tubeless rims mean I can poke-n-patch to get me to a road, and the $3k I saved on the bike vs an 800 bought a LOT of toys.

*Seriously, if you're worried about highway performance and the 650 isn't enough, (I've had mine doing 190 kph on the highway, thank you very much) why the hell are you even looking at enduros?
GrendelMk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #67
Mangydog
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I agree with vtbob's posts. I own both. F800gs for me and F650gs for my wife. I honestly like riding the 650 better. It's more comfortable for me and has plenty of get up and go. It's slightly smaller size makes it easier to maneuver (for me) and I also like to flat foot it at stop lights and parking lots. I'm 5'11", 200 lbs and its plenty of bike for me. If I was to do it again, I'd likely get the 650 for myself as well.
Mangydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #68
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
Still riding the wifes 650 twin around. And it is still a blast. I like my f8 a bit better, maybe because its not named "Betsy Blue". And my f8 wont do 80 in 2nd gear!!!

Ryan

So just got my 800 back, and after riding the 650 twin around, for a couple of weeks, I have to say the the F8 still puts a bigger grin on my face.

It is just more... Raw than the 650.

Sounds a little coarser, runs a little coarser, feels more on edge....

I like riding hard, and I THINK it is definitely funner to ride hard than the 650.

Plus I have my abs disconnected, so that adds to the excitement...

650 smoother, More relaxed...

All day on the highway (with an appropriate windscreen) - 650

On the trail or any unsurfaced road, and around town - 800

Ryan
Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 AM   #69
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Nothing official or even semi official. A few posters have been claiming the 2012 bikes are becoming hard to find or even order. Seems strange, if true. Pretty early in the year to be shutting down production, unless gearing up for something new.

So lets start a rumor. The 900 Nuda is not coming to the US. Thats a fact not a rumor. What is BMW going to do with a 900cc engine that Husqvarna just spent money on?. That motor is a major renovation. Bored and stroked, then use a new crank design. Seems a waste, unless it goes into something that will sell.

Besides being something I want, BMW could differentiate between the current F650gs/F800gs line. The current model has been in production 5 years, time for a change?
I had the chance to test ride the 900 Nuda, as far as it is a funny bike to ride, i would certainly not like to have its engine as a replacement of our 800cc of the F650 and F800 twins. The 900cc of the Nuda is not smooth at all in low rpm (below 4000 i should say) its ignition offset is not 360 but 315 instead , it is far away from what you like to have in a touring/trail bike.

If it were just to benefit of higher torque of a 900 at same rpm with the same crankshaft than the 800, then it would be ok.
However the 800 is far enough for me today and if went to the dowsizing (1150 to 800) it is certainly not to go back into the cc size battle.

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #70
DW99 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelMk1 View Post
So I read the first and last pages, because I'm a terrible, lazy person. My comments:

I own a 650. I commute on it every day, and I've ridden it through everything from gorgeous sun to slushy snow. I also take it off-road and flog it. I've had it doing descents where the back is locked and pushing a dam of crap and the front is chittering through rip-rap, and I've done 120 kph(!) on fire roads when they're flat and easy.

My biggest complaint with the 650 is that 1st gear is too tall. If 1st was 30% lower, I'd be a happy man. My (very distant) second complaint is that I'd like another inch or 2 of clearance for blowdowns and such. Other than that, my 650 makes about as much torque down low* as the 800 (so I've heard), tubeless rims mean I can poke-n-patch to get me to a road, and the $3k I saved on the bike vs an 800 bought a LOT of toys.

*Seriously, if you're worried about highway performance and the 650 isn't enough, (I've had mine doing 190 kph on the highway, thank you very much) why the hell are you even looking at enduros?

obviously you didn't read the comments....lol...I have never been worried that the f650gs isn't enough bike for the highway.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #71
Emilio71
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi,

I have a F650GS Twin since 05/11, 17.500 Kms on it during the last year, most of them on road but also some off road on it. I am a begginer like you, indeed my bike is limited to 35Kw due to the Spanish driving law for new riders (2 years limited to that power).

I was in your same situation one year ago. The F800GS looks better at the show room (if you put them side by side), the colors on the F650GS are not very "sport" colors... etc. But being at that point, I took in consideration the recommendations of the BMW technical sales staff: "If you are going to use the bike mostly for off road then go for the F800, if dont, go for the F650GS". I did it and I cant be happier... And trust me, it does very well off road, you just need to change the tyres... tyres are 80% of the success out of the road.....

Here is mine:

Vs.

Emilio.
Emilio71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #72
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Maybe it is wishful thinking, but I think BMW will do something. My preference for a bike of this type is something with lighter weight. That practically demands a smaller, lighter, lower displacement engine.

That does not appear to be happening. For all the off road pretensions, people seem to be infatuated with HP. Most that buy, never see more than a dirt road.

People who know, like the offset crankshafts, as in theory they hook up better in loose conditions. Longer strokes means more torque. Getting more power at lower rpms is all about camshaft design and timing, an easy fix for the manufacturer. BMW did that with the F800gs vs its street bike parent.

V twins, by engine design and the 1200 Tenere, all have non 360 degree crankshafts.

I think the bike could use a wider spaced gearbox. The F658 can get a 6% reduction in the gearing by going to the F800gs primary sprocket.

Part of the gearing problem is actually a fueling problem. The bikes are extremely lean at low rpm. The fuel resisters are a cheap band aid that works. Add one and the bike will lug quite well.

No free lunch for a F658 owner though, the vibes will start about 6% sooner.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #73
DW99 OP
Adventurer

Emillio, thank you for your reply, that is the kind of real world experience that helps..... I am still not decided lol..luckily i do not think i can go wrong with either bike.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #74
Emilio71
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Both are very good bikes..... This weekend took place in Toledo (Spain, no Michigan...) the GS DAYS. There were an off road school and, it would have been very nice if you could have seen the way that the F650GS performs offroad... Incredible!!

Most of the people choose the F800GS due to its more agressive look and based on its off road features, but only some people really use them. You can go every where with the F650GS, maybe not "jumping" or doing wheelies, but trust me, you will perfectly pass....

There is a girl, yes she is a woman, sorrry, riding all over the world using a F650GS. You can follow her at: http://www.aliciasornosa.com/

If you wish to ask her something about the bike I am sure that she will be glad to give you an honest answer (Im not family, friend, manager, etc.).

Good luck!!

Vs.

Emilio.
Emilio71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #75
DW99 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilio71 View Post
Both are very good bikes..... This weekend took place in Toledo (Spain, no Michigan...) the GS DAYS. There were an off road school and, it would have been very nice if you could have seen the way that the F650GS performs offroad... Incredible!!

Most of the people choose the F800GS due to its more agressive look and based on its off road features, but only some people really use them. You can go every where with the F650GS, maybe not "jumping" or doing wheelies, but trust me, you will perfectly pass....

There is a girl, yes she is a woman, sorrry, riding all over the world using a F650GS. You can follow her at: http://www.aliciasornosa.com/

If you wish to ask her something about the bike I am sure that she will be glad to give you an honest answer (Im not family, friend, manager, etc.).

Good luck!!

Vs.

Emilio.
I'm not worried about ever jumping my bike..lol....good report, thanks emillio