Didn't you just buy another RT?
JoeDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #452
Slappy00
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
Its funny how opinions differ. I've been riding for 23+ years, and my K1200RS is definitely one of the best motorcycles I've ever purchased. Brakes, power, suspension, build quality, features -- hard to beat. Sometimes, when buying "used", you get a lemon. Perhaps you got one. The fact that you're on a bike with half the displacement would indicate to me that the K1200RS was just not the right machine for you.
Every year I want to sell my 2004 K1200GT and every year it stays in the garage, hell at this point I am just going to buy another bike for around the city, because the GT has staying power, mostly since it is so damn smooth, relatively quick, and the brakes can stop a train.

Ok on topic.

2009 KLR... Great bike for commuting, easy to work on but : big, slow, and worst brakes ever. Sold it within a year, got the K1200GT.
Slappy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #453
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Concours. Bought it dead, never rode one. Brought it back to life, rode it once and hated it.

Same with the KLR 650.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #454
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
Sounds like ol girl needed some work I think a freshened up XL600r is a fantastic bike. Lots of torque and wheelies all over, nice handling too IMO. I think you would really like that near new XL if you could get your hands on it.
I would have to say I agree with you.... and I am gonna see the fella that owns that new 83 XL 600 in about 5 weeks.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #455
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Had a few I grew to hate on longer association but the only one I regretted on the way home was a BMW R100S. It was my 5th or 6th airhead and I'd had one of the R100s previously, liked it a lot and put a lot of miles on it. This one was 4 years old, had about 60,000km on it, was in excellent nick apart from partly faded red paintwork but it felt stiff in the chassis and the engine vibrated badly; just felt 'wrong'. Never did get it sorted, hadn't been in a wreck, the shocks, bearings and so on were fine and frame and forks straight and no amount of carb or ignition tuning could calm the vibrating engine. Clutch etc was fine and my guess is that it had an out of balance flywheel. I sold it after about 6 months and bought a K100RS which I loved.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #456
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,423
I once rebuilt a lightly crashed R75/6,spent many months taking it down and changing the frame and unmentionable amounts of other items that needed changing out,standard BMW practice really.

I then rode it up and down the street,then I rode it up some of my local canyon test roads,the only test it didnt fail was sitting there looking like it had street cred. No brakes to speak of,frame had the usual hinge in the middle,shifting like my old 1939 GMC truck with no synchros,the riding position was hands down the worst Ive ever tried.
32 mpg wasnt going to get it too far.
Then my DR650 would smoke it on uphills. It was a good learning experience rebuilding it and I traded it for another loss leader and sold that for twice what the airhead would have sold for. (Strom650)

Then another time on a foolish whim I picked up an 07 Triumph Scrambler..............ooooooooppppps.
It would hang with my DR but about a dead heat on uphills,very heavy slow 900 cc bike with the cheapest suspension known to man,same as Harley puts on their cheapies. The pipe was always jammed into my leg,the bottom of the bike drug on any sort of corner,the front forks twisted when the brake was used hard.

Great bike to park most anywhere,old guys come up and ask all about the Triumph.
I had a 1971 Triumph 750 back in the day,absolutely no relation between the two but the name and some cosmetics.
It sold quick to a guy in SF.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #457
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Ever bought a bike and immediately realised your mistake?

The first day after buying my new Concours in 2000, I set off to Lake George with gear & girlfriend. After a weekend of slogging around the Adirondacs, I thought I had really stepped in it. It was a total pig! Heavy, slow to turn, & with a "weave" at speed. I was ready to turn it back in as soon as I got home. Before driving up to the dealer on my return, I checked the tire pressure. I had set off for the weekend just assuming they were all right....The dealer would have aired them up & set the suspension at middle values on a new bike, right? .... Wrong! The rear tire had 20 psi., the front 22psi. The rear shock, had ZERO damping clicked in! Even worse, the rear preload, air adjustable, with a 0 - 50 psi range, was set at ZERO, empty, nil.! 2 min. worth of air from the compressor & a few clicks of damping & I had a totally different bike. At over 600 lbs. with it's 7.5 gal. of fuel, it was never going to be exactly "sprightly", but with air in the tires (& a later switch to Metzlers) & some judicious tweaking of the suspension, (& a fork brace) I wound up keeping her for 10 years & 60,000 mi.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #458
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Traded my KTM 950 Adventure for a BMW R1100S BCP and knew right away it was a mistake. An engine with the power delivery of a 1971 VW Microbus. REALLY? How is it possible to build a 1100cc "sport" bike that can't wheelie in first gear without poppin' the clutch? REALLY???? HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?

I got the BMW site unseen and it didn't work out..... On the bright side I got an Aprilia Futura without ever even hearing one run and couldn't be happier! And YES It'll throttle wheelie in 1-2rd gears with 100cc's less
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #459
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 625SXC View Post
Traded my KTM 950 Adventure for a BMW R1100S BCP and knew right away it was a mistake. An engine with the power delivery of a 1971 VW Microbus. REALLY? How is it possible to build a 1100cc "sport" bike that can't wheelie in first gear without poppin' the clutch? REALLY???? HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?

I got the BMW site unseen and it didn't work out..... On the bright side I got an Aprilia Futura without ever even hearing one run and couldn't be happier! And YES It'll throttle wheelie in 1-2rd gears with 100cc's less
The boxer cup needs a chip and a pipe,then they pull much better to 8 grand and the ft end can be coaxed off the ground.
Driveshaft bikes really arent wheelie bikes though.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #460
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
two..
1978 sr500.I shoulda listened to myself on the test ride but i though i would grow to like it.
Its a good thing i didnt test ride the K100rs cos i would not have bought it,i turned out to really like that bike.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #461
bbrz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Yes, but my experience differs slightly from the norm contained in this thread. Not the bike lacking, but me.
I live in E. Central IL, had a friend in W. Central IL that had just bought a S2R 1000. Met him on his turf for an
afternoon ride in W. IL and NE. Missouri on some winding roads with many elevation changes. A ride swap and
I fell in love with the Ducati on those roads. Found a very slightly used S2R 800, and had to have it. Picked it up near Springfield and headed home on some of the flattest, straightest roads in the state and thought what did I just do?
Now I have to ride between 100-300 mi. of hell to have 40 mi. of fun. Oh yes, Indiana is not far, but much the same circumstance. Beautiful bike, loads of fun (on the right roads), but needs to be enjoyed in it's element.
Selling on e-bay soon.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #462
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,833
'86 Kawasaki 900 Eliminator

I saw one of my dirt racing buddies sliding a corner on one, and thought, "I'll have one of those". Ten years later, I bought a used one. The exhaust note said "I am racing", the cam boxes were too wide for my knees to touch the tank and after much undoing of hotrod mods, it would only get 90 miles on a tank of fuel. Then I traded it for a broken Audi, and things went further downhill.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #463
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis 2000 View Post
I saw one of my dirt racing buddies sliding a corner on one, and thought, "I'll have one of those". Ten years later, I bought a used one. The exhaust note said "I am racing", the cam boxes were too wide for my knees to touch the tank and after much undoing of hotrod mods, it would only get 90 miles on a tank of fuel. Then I traded it for a broken Audi, and things went further downhill.
Ah,much like the drunken evening I traded a 1977 GS750 Suzuki for a 74 Norton 850 Roadster. The Suzuki was bone reliable and handled well for what it was in 1977.
The Norton? I remember the seat flying off the back of the bike when I did a quick start on the way home with it,seems the big dumb knobs that hold it on will never stay tight. I held on by my fingertips as the seat flew out from under my ass.
The 850 looked great,sounded great,made great noises but could Not complete a 40 mile ride with out something breaking off the bike,something ceasing to work,or feet flying off the pegs due to oil accumulation.
The pegs dragging early and often were a distraction,the front end reliably tucking on corners at speed was fun to watch Im told. I made it to the coast from Chico once on the 850,I think we fixed it 3 or 4 times on the way.
At the exact farthest point from home..........the rotor blew to bits and took out the stator. We bought a couple 12 packs and camped on the beach,then I rode home with my eyes bugging out scared to the pissing point on the back of a 900 Ducati. I traded the Norton for a pumped 1974 RD350 that would wheelie through 3rd easily.
I may have done stupider things then getting that Norton but cant remember any at the moment.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #464
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
I would have to say I agree with you.... and I am gonna see the fella that owns that new 83 XL 600 in about 5 weeks.
XL600............Nice handling,bags o torque............ They have built some newer thumpers since then that may tickle your fancy. 83 wasnt Honda's best year.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #465
scotteroni
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Concours. Bought it dead, never rode one. Brought it back to life, rode it once and hated it.

Same with the KLR 650.
I was in the market to upgrade my old CB900C for something with more wind protection and carrying capacity. Test road a used one and didn't like it. So i tried two more thinking that maybe the first one was a fluke. Still did not like it. Had a chance to by a mint one for like $1400 and still did'nt like it. Got back on my 900 to drive home and felt like it would of been a downgrade to the CB. Compared to it the motor put off too much heat, shifting was notchy and the whole bike vibrated too much. Now if I this was my first bike I'd probably think it was great but I had too many other bikes to compare it to and it failed the comfort test.
scotteroni is offline   Reply With Quote