Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #7006
Captain Caution
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
XT225 Panniers

Hey Folks,
After building a rack for Mrs. Caution's Serow I thought it was time to add some panniers. I fabbed the framework out of flat bar and the boxes are top opening bicycle trunks at 1.1 cu/ft each. Total cost: <$60.00. Each box is held on by 4 bolts so they are not quick release, but do remove relatively easily. Not as elegant as I would have liked but this should do for the kinds of riding we do. I replaced the frame bolts with studs to prevent wearing out the threads in the frame.
Here are some pics.
Cheers!
Captain Caution

http://captaincaution.smugmug.com/Mo...8331&k=WNG5zN9
Old 05-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #7007
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Caution View Post
Hey Folks,
After building a rack for Mrs. Caution's Serow I thought it was time to add some panniers. I fabbed the framework out of flat bar and the boxes are top opening bicycle trunks at 1.1 cu/ft each. Total cost: <$60.00. Each box is held on by 4 bolts so they are not quick release, but do remove relatively easily. Not as elegant as I would have liked but this should do for the kinds of riding we do. I replaced the frame bolts with studs to prevent wearing out the threads in the frame.
Here are some pics.
Cheers!
Captain Caution

Very nice, Those look really good and should be really nice light panniers.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #7008
KamperBob
Recreation Engineer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Hey Folks,
Here are some pics.
Cheers!
Captain Caution
Agree with Mike - they do look nice. I'm just curious how the boxes themselves attach to the brackets...

Rock on!
Bob
(latest ride report post)
Old 05-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #7009
Captain Caution
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
Agree with Mike - they do look nice. I'm just curious how the boxes themselves attach to the brackets...

Rock on!
Bob
(latest ride report post)

Thanks for the positive comments folks!
The boxes seem to be of decent quality; the materials and finish seem to be on par with our SHAD and Givi top cases. Normally these are $40 each but I picked them up on clearance for half of that.
As for how the boxes attach to the frames, they actually sit on top of them and are therefore almost entirely supported from below. Each of these flat supports underneath the box has two bolts bolted through the underside of the case. The rear most supports (bottom left of the photo above) also has a single bolt that attaches the vertical member to the vertical box side for additional stability.
Cheers!
C.C.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:27 PM   #7010
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quiet forum...

...needs a bump. Went away for the weekend, rode the 350 km's to friend's cabin for a weekend of biking and bonhomie. I am pretty sure the new Kenda Trackmaster II rear tire wasn't the best choice for the road section, (LOUD!) but sure worked well when I got there in the mostly dry singletrack and doubletrack. Getting out to Hope was arduous, but I took the #7 through Mission, slower road, less traffic. BC Highway 3 (The Crowsnest HWY) to Princeton was amazing, ran into some flurries, but rode for 21 minutes without seeing another car, which would make for me being the only person on the highway for a 55km stretch (!) talk about deserted highway. It felt extra special because I hit really bad rush hour traffic on the way outta town. This was a Friday evening at about 7 o'clock, so I figured it might be much busier. It was like a weight lifted off my shoulders to get out of Hope and onto a twisting deserted road. I just love when it feels like you are the only person left on Earth, and the engine is droning out its song; everything is somehow right with the world. It's a great road that winds through mountains, from coastal to desert climes, most of it along the Similkameen river. I'm happy I packed pretty much everything I needed...except for a camera hence the limited photos.
Well, anyway, arrived at the cabin at 9:30 that night after riding the last 25 km's in at about 40km's per hour due to the huge number of deer in the area. I actually really like riding at night, but appreciate that it is not the safest time to be on the road. Met the 10 other guys staying with us. The next two days were spent exploring and biking, eating and chattin'. The bike worked great, no problems. I took off the Moose rack for the dirtbiking, it comes off in about 10 minutes. We were around Coalmont, and there is an area where the coal cars used to load up with coal that was coming out from underground before going via tramline to Coalmont where it was put on rail cars. There were some nice jumps around the area. Although it is not a great jumper, the XT can handle a few feet of air no problem

I have to say, I realized that as soon as I got up there, I realized that I needed new front brake pads, REALLY badly, the only thing I neglected to check in my pretrip. Damn. I managed to get away with only using the rear for pretty much the whole weekend.
Anyway, I'm still really digging just how flexible this bike is, I packed ALL my stuff up there, including tent and sleeping bag, beer,etc. on the same bike I rode offroad.

Contemplating the Kenda 270's for next set of tires if I do more of this riding, however.
The ride home was great, nobody is in a rush on that highway, the only problem is that the bike doesn't like much more than 50-55 mph in a headwind with luggage on and a 15t front. Speaking of which, I really feel that the 15t utilizes the engine more effectively for anybody weighing over 125 lbs. It just seems to be happier revving a little higher than lugging and hunting for gears.
It was great to get out of the city, damn!

woofer2609 screwed with this post 05-31-2012 at 10:32 PM Reason: added info
woofer2609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #7011
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Hey Folks,
Here are some pics.
Cheers!
Captain Caution

Het CC,

I like those boxes.

Where did you get them? I didn't see a link and couldn't find the with a search for "top opening bicycle trunk". Also, do you have any photos showing how/where the bracket attach onto the XT? They look like a unique & simple design. Will a helmet fit in one, or a full size grocery bag? (Or as I often say "X" number of beers... )
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #7012
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Thumb

Woofer,

That is a heck of a trip, especially with worn out front pads. I noticed that you didn't "forget" the beer!!
I'm sure your riding skills improve dramatically when you intentionally avoid using the front brakes, just saving them for emergencies. Glad to hear you didn't have any emergencies!!

It's always great to see what kind of riding the little 225 can be used for.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #7013
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Glennr, having the drag of the Trackmaster II's on road, and their grip offroad helped braking immensely This is the only tire I've had on there that I was effectively able to use the rear brake on and not have it lock up immediately. The odo turned over 25,000km while I was up there, including a short stint a year ago w/o a working odo, so the bike is now at app. 26,000 km's
What kind of mileage do other people have on their XT's?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #7014
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

My 02' just turned 9000 miles.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #7015
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,771
I have about 14,500 miles on mine. About 23,300 KM
Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #7016
woofer2609
Studly Adventurer

Holy Crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggets View Post
I have about 14,500 miles on mine. About 23,300 KM
That's some accumulated miles for an '07! I tend to always see these bikes with about 2-3 k on them, or 20-25 k, regardless of the year.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #7017
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer2609 View Post
That's some accumulated miles for an '07! I tend to always see these bikes with about 2-3 k on them, or 20-25 k, regardless of the year.
I got it two years ago with 2k miles on it. Most of the miles are just from riding to work. I beat it pretty hard on off road rides too.

It's a tough little bike.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #7018
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,371
[QUOTE=Foamfollower;18721802]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Canuman,
I bought the Polisport Guards but I got the wrong Mounting kit (magura), Would you be inclined to sell me a 22MM Mount Kit? Also, I'll send you the Magura Gratis as I have no use for them. PM me if you like, Price + Shipping.
Foamy
Foamy, looks like these mounting kits are available again. WTF? None of the hand guards though.
They say 22 mm but there is a slightly different part number. I just ordered again.
Never did hear from Canuman. You?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Mount-Kit.aspx
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #7019
baiku
Manaical Engineer

Oddometer: 1,292
2007 XT225 for sale Manchester, NH

Flea market link:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post18816985
Old 06-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #7020
Foamfollower
Foamy

Oddometer: 57
Polisport Shield handguard Mounts

[QUOTE=Tom S;18816575]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamfollower View Post
Foamy, looks like these mounting kits are available again. WTF? None of the hand guards though.
They say 22 mm but there is a slightly different part number. I just ordered again.
Never did hear from Canuman. You?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Mount-Kit.aspx
I only see the Protaper mounts, not the 22mm that I believe are needed for the XT250. have you Tried PM'ing Canuman?

Cheers,
Foamy