Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 06:03 AM   #23476
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by stujamur View Post
Dirtbagz - is scout or ranger best fit for te ?
Just get the Rangers. They are not overwhelming in their size, and if you get the Scouts you'll be wishing you'd gone with the larger set.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #23477
rocky mtn nut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
rear shock

Can some one help me with who to go with on a rear shock rebuild.
rocky mtn nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #23478
ELM0T0L0C0
Less Talk More Throttle

Oddometer: 184
Pro taper mounts

I have been trying to search the thread but have had no luck. I remember reading that someone had mounted protaper bars using the Pro-taper universal mounts but they sleeved the triple I think with a aluminum sleeve so that they would mount properly. Could someone point me to that post or tall me the dimensions of the sleeve I would need.

thanks,

Berkeley

2006 TE610, 2005 DR650, 2006 CRF450X, 2003 SV1000, 1977 XS650s
ELM0T0L0C0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #23479
ELM0T0L0C0
Less Talk More Throttle

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky mtn nut View Post
Can some one help me with who to go with on a rear shock rebuild.
Rick at cogent did my DR and I was super happy with his work/price/quick turn around. He is also a fellow inmate.

http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=68633

Cogent Dynamics Inc.
33 Meadow Brook Drive
Fletcher
NC
(828) 628 9025
raceparts@motocd.com

His website is below:
http://www.motocd.com/cd/

2006 TE610, 2005 DR650, 2006 CRF450X, 2003 SV1000, 1977 XS650s
ELM0T0L0C0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #23480
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Just get the Rangers. They are not overwhelming in their size, and if you get the Scouts you'll be wishing you'd gone with the larger set.
Ye that makes sense - thank you .
Old 06-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #23481
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post

The Rangers fit nicely and they have a compression strap that runs vertically so when you do not need the extra storage space you can cinch them down and it keeps a nice thiin profile, no floppin' around. There is a rollup storage pocket inside with 3 web straps that you can rollup into a tube shape perfect for holding large water bottles or 1L MSR fuel bottles. Since it is at the top of the bag, (at seat level) it is protected from bike nap incidents very well. They do remove quickly if you have no need. I just leave mine on, carry a spare innertube all the time.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #23482
malott442
Loud, yet refreshing

Oddometer: 580
Did a swap and learned a little.

I bought a set of 2001 tc450 wheels, suspension, brakes... and was going to make a quick x-over setup to supermoto for my 2006 te610. Learned a couple of things:

450 rear wheel bolts right on. The bearings are the same, but the 450 axle is smaller on one end, but the spacer comes right out, allowing OEM spacer usage. Hello 19" rear!

450 front will not swap over to 610 without new bearings. The front fork axle holes are different sized as well. I suppose if you are going to do a change-over including forks it will not matter, but to make a wheel swap kit using the wheels only, front wheel bearings from a 610 appear to be the only need.

All brake rotors are the same diameter, but the 450 rear brake rotor is non-floating. I swapped out sprockets and rotors anyhow. Rear shock looks pretty close.

Hope the info helps someone concerning the rear wheel for a cheap upgrade!

One word of warning (?) The mounting tabs on the 450 are not as thick on the sprocket side, so if you are going to run high traction or two up, then I would probably not do it. I chose the 19 for tire selection and off road stance, as minimal as it is, still pretty cool.
malott442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #23483
PB49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Have your thought about the Kriega Overlander bags using the new Kriega Rack Loop System

Speak to Greg from Kriega in Oz

The Overlander system is 2 x 15L each side giving quite a respectable 30L and you don't need to a rear rack you can also but another 10L on TOP using the same system

I am using the top bag only at the moment but will be going for the side bags shortly, the rack loop system will also allow you to carry a small swag, sleeping bag etc... Cost around $350 AUD

Just checked they are not on the OZ web site yet google overlander 30 UK site has them but Greg can get hold on them. Great system no need to strengthen the sub frame

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujamur View Post
Luggage options help !

Seems like dirtbagz or gl coyote is the go.

Need to carry some stuff for overnighters, tent,sleeping bag etc .

Giant loop coyote - I don't have passenger pegs - how does the giant loop attatch ?

Dirtbagz - is scout or ranger best fit for te ? Thinking if i go the option could buy optional top bag or strap matt n duffell bag across top ??? But maybe this would cause to much stress on subframe ?

Any tips here please !

PB49 screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 04:05 PM
PB49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #23484
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,813
Verryyy interesting! I did not know about these! This may be perfect for the TE450

Stujamer, I've run the Dirtbagz for about 4 years on my TE610's and can't say anything negative about them. I've stuffed them and crashed on them and used them from Baja to Moab. I think the racks themselves add some stability to the subframe, too, as I've not had a subframe breakage, either.

If you get the Dirtbagz, get the Rangers, no question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB49 View Post
Have your thought about the Kriega Overlander bags using the new Kriega Rack Loop System

Speak to Greg from Kriega in Oz

The Overlander system is 2 x 15L each side giving quite a respectable 30L and you don't need to a rear rack you can also but another 10L on TOP using the same system

I am using the top bag only at the moment but will be going for the side bags shortly, the rack loop system will also allow you to carry a small swag, sleeping bag etc... Cost around $350 AUD

Just checked they are not on the OZ web site yet google overlander 30 UK site has them but Greg can get hold on them. Great system no need to strengthen the sub frame

Hope this helps
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #23485
Mgizler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Bad News

Well guys I was out riding for a little while today and the bike was having a hard time idling when at a stop. So I just happened to look down on the right side of the engine and noticed that the head gasket was leaking to the exterior of the cylinder. WTF!!!

So im pretty bummed about this. I was riding it a little hard but nothing to crazy. I have yet to be able to put 100 miles on it since I got it.

It currently has 1951 miles on the clock. But it sat for two years straight.

So my question is, What would you guys do? Tear it all down and go through it. Just replace the HG and call it a day. Replace cam chain while in there.

Also I only noticed this after I did a few hard pulls up to 80mph but didnt see any leaking at lower rpm's. Also the only mods I have done to the bike was smog delete, and header wrap instead of the heat shield.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Mgizler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #23486
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags View Post
Stujamer, I've run the Dirtbagz for about 4 years on my TE610's and can't say anything negative about them. I've stuffed them and crashed on them and used them from Baja to Moab. I think the racks themselves add some stability to the subframe, too, as I've not had a subframe breakage, either.

If you get the Dirtbagz, get the Rangers, no question.
+1

Had mine on for 10,000 miles plus - I also think they make the rear sub frame stronger.

I used to take them on and off - but found them so convenient I leave them on all the time..

Hit the zippers with silicon spray routinely.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #23487
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,813
I would only change out the head gasket, flush the coolant and change the oil. With less than 2,000 miles on it I wouldn't bother replacing the cam chain at all.

Make certain the mating surfaces of the head and cylinder are smooth and flat. If you keep riding it like that, not only will contaminated oil screw things up, but the hot gases will eat away at the mating surfaces.

BTW, I doubt it was anything you did that caused this. Sometimes stuff like this just happens.

It could also be just a leak from the water jacket straight out only, but you still gotta replace it, imho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
Well guys I was out riding for a little while today and the bike was having a hard time idling when at a stop. So I just happened to look down on the right side of the engine and noticed that the head gasket was leaking to the exterior of the cylinder. WTF!!!

So im pretty bummed about this. I was riding it a little hard but nothing to crazy. I have yet to be able to put 100 miles on it since I got it.

So my question is, What would you guys do? Tear it all down and go through it. Just replace the HG and call it a day. Replace cam chain while in there.

Also I only noticed this after I did a few hard pulls up to 80mph but didnt see any leaking at lower rpm's. Also the only mods I have done to the bike was smog delete, and header wrap instead of the heat shield.

Thanks,

Mark
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #23488
Mgizler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I think you are right and just replace the head gasket. Now my other question is, are the other gaskets, Water pump, valve cover, etc.. reusable on this machine?
Also I do not have a service manual or owners manual. With that being said, what type of coolant does it take.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags View Post
I would only change out the head gasket, flush the coolant and change the oil. With less than 2,000 miles on it I wouldn't bother replacing the cam chain at all.

Make certain the mating surfaces of the head and cylinder are smooth and flat. If you keep riding it like that, not only will contaminated oil screw things up, but the hot gases will eat away at the mating surfaces.

BTW, I doubt it was anything you did that caused this. Sometimes stuff like this just happens.

It could also be just a leak from the water jacket straight out only, but you still gotta replace it, imho.
Mgizler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #23489
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,096
Pb49 i had not heard of KRIEGA -

There gear looks awesome - found they have a vendors thread .. Some cool looking stuff

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778304

Cheers stu
Old 06-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #23490
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,678
step 1 - torque the head bolts.

step 2 - if it still leaks then replace the head gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post

Thanks,

Mark
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote