Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #8251
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I wonder what the end of this outrageous situation will be. It is in the forefront of everybody's thoughts down there and there must be a tipping point where Mexico will stop letting these guys run up and down the highway with impunity. What the cartels are doing is terrorism and should be combatted as such: with drone strikes and army tanks instead of Army/Federales running around in pick-ups.
I am in agreeance. There is not enough control down there... The problem is that there are a lot of people down there and the bad guys look a lot like most of the good guys. I'm just surprised that there is so little vigilance. But who knows, maybe a lot of these bodies they are finding are of cartel members being executed by vigilantes... doubt it though.... but I like that thought.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #8252
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Congratulations Bandit Beater on the New VSTROM. I brought a DL-650 down in February and couldn't be happier. STROMs are great bikes for Mexico.
Thanks. I got a good deal on '10 1000. Never even considered the Vee until I saw it in the dealership. Now it seems like an obvious choice.
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #8253
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
I can't tell you what my thinking was, but I pushed the wife's head down (no, not that, there wasn't time! lol) and ......
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #8254
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Excellent!! Where are you off to first?
Not the morgue I hope!

Tres Marias on Sunday to buy gear. Then probably Taxco or somewhere else familiar until I get comfortable.

My plan for tomorrow is to spend a couple of hours in my in-laws parking lot getting used to how she handles at low speed. I've always done that after I was riding home on my first bike at 16 and caught my shoe laces in the gear lever and toppled over sideways at a stop light. Not an auspicious start!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #8255
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
The VSTROM is such a better choice than the Ducati Multistrada you were discussing earlier for a lot of reasons, IMHO.

This weekend I had a good zero speed laydown of the Wee-STROM. I got so carried away taking photos I forgot the kickstand was still up. When I decided to get off the bike, it didnt want to stand up on its own. It cost me a windshield and a some pride as I had two ADVrider witnesses.
Yeah, bones heal, but wounds to your pride take a lot longer. Zero speed accidents are what face-palms were invented for! My first Suzook had a sprung kick-stand. I came back to to it on its side several times after some douche had decided to sit on it and then put it back on a stand that wasn't there.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #8256
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,880
Quote:
The VSTROM is such a better choice than the Ducati Multistrada you were discussing earlier for a lot of reasons, IMHO.

This weekend I had a good zero speed laydown of the Wee-STROM. I got so carried away taking photos I forgot the kickstand was still up. When I decided to get off the bike, it didnt want to stand up on its own. It cost me a windshield and a some pride as I had two ADVrider witnesses.
It would have been OK if you had the anti-gravity option
Old 06-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #8257
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,351
I witnessed the biff firsthand, in slow mo. At first I thought he had found an irresistible rock to examine. When the Schizz asked if he was OK, I said "yeah, of course, he's from Colorado and they fall down like that all the time." It was actually kind of scary to watch as the road was right next to a steep rocky slope. When the slide ended, only SR's moto boots were visible, sticking up in the air. Viva Mexico!

Damn was that a sweet ride!
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #8258
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
When the slide ended, only SR's moto boots were visible, sticking up in the air. Viva Mexico
Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #8259
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
The June 2012 BMW ON magazine contains the following letter to the editor on page 11:

More on Mexico

The "Bandidos in Mexico" are not a myth. We feel a responsibility to write a rebuttal to the February issue of the BMW ON concerning riding in Mexico. Our Mexico trips are always planned with due diligence, specifically to avoid border crossing "hot spots" and Cartel crossfire. But the common bandido is harder to predict.

Our group of riders, all from Texas, are veterans when it comes to the wonderful roads, cities, and ever-delightful people of Mexico. That's why it breaks our hearts to write this, but there are dangers in Mexico. After many years and thousands of miles in Central America and primarily in Mexico, we experienced that danger firsthand on March 27, 2012, just outside the town of El Fuerte.

We have all since returned home safely to tell a chaotic and frightening story. With quick thinking and extreme luck, most of our group was able to avoid actually being stopped at the scene. But shots were fired, one person was stopped and robbed, a bullet went through a windshield, and two more went through a gas tank and one into a tire.

While we can't disregard the violence and economic desperation Cartel activity has created in Mexico, this was, by and large, a failed attempt at highway robbery. Perhaps these bandidos will think twice about ever robbing motorcyclists again, but in reality, and much more likely, they will just use more violent measures on their next victims.

We understand the risks and always maintained awareness while riding in Mexico, but the odds caught up with us, and it's a sobering reality we don't intend to repeat. So take this warning seriously. We never thought it would happen to us either.

Carlos Mateus #138852
Kerrville, Texas
Co-signed by Leroy Braxdale, Priscilla Brosnahan, Rufus Maxfield and Warren Milner (the Canadian)

ENDQUOTE

I was alerted to this letter via Robert K, owner of Lone Star BMW in Austin, via a post he made in a thread on twtex.com

It appeared to me in reading this letter and his comments, that the one rider stopped at the road block and was robbed, and the others ran the road block and were shot at.

I'm sure this story will be factored into the risk managment decision that each rider makes to ride or not ride Mexico and as I've stated before, no one person's decision either way is wrong for them. The individual who comes onto this board and proclaims a posture one way or the other without regard for individual risk management decisions is the individual I have a problem with. Ride to Mexico - fine. Don't ride to Mexico - fine. Everybody looks at risk differently.

I feel the information in this letter is of great value to the Mexico motorcycling community. Please digest it how you will, but if you feel the urge to post about it, please do so responsibly. We don't need a bunch of silly videos posted in conjunction with this. Thanks.
I wonder if this happened on the main road between Los Mochis and el Fuerte, or if it happened on one of the minor roads

When I rode to el Fuerte in 1999 there had been some discussion that there were bandits on the little road between Alamos and el Fuerte and that it wasn't safe to travel after dark.

With that said I would't hesitate to go to el Fuerte - in fact, getting back there some day for a return trip is on my bucket list.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?m4t2zd
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #8260
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
LMAO at the ChangoGS comments!

C'mon guys he's just yanking yer chains and trying to keep Gringos out of Mexico so that he can have it all for himself. Chango has been all over Mexico, and most of Central and South America. He even does stuff like prospecting in the mountains down there for gold...alone.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #8261
chiwo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
and like my fellow compadres yell with some shots of tequila

ˇ Y VIVA MEXICO CAB#$)ES!!!

Will be visiting Cuatro Cienegas this Sunday, and I will post you some nice pictures..

chiwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #8262
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
LMAO at the ChangoGS comments!

C'mon guys he's just yanking yer chains and trying to keep Gringos out of Mexico so that he can have it all for himself. Chango has been all over Mexico, and most of Central and South America. He even does stuff like prospecting in the mountains down there for gold...alone.
+1 on that.

I wonder why he's only been posting the ugly of Mexico which accounts to maybe 2%, the rest is the country's beauty and it's people.

Come on chango, what gives? Or what happened the past 6 months?

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #8263
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Well, Supa12Pilot,

After spending 32 years in the pharmaceutical/medical business, I've got some pretty good ideas about peoples behavior.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #8264
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangoGS View Post
This thread is a pathetic sick twisted picture of safe travel in mexiko.
This statement could not be more incorrect.

The premise (at least the premise I and many here adhere to) is that ALL travel has risks.

Mexico motorcycle travel has its own unique risks. Read once again my post #8478. I feel it is my responsibility to post balanced views on the safety of Mexico travel, and I love Mexico at least as much if not more than any Mexico traveler on this board.

It is the personal task of each potential traveler to assess those risks and to decide for himself or herself if those risks are manageable. There are many individual skill sets and experience sets and personality sets that change this variable for each person.

What is totally incorrect is for one individual to put a stamp on the safety or lack thereof, or degrees in between, of Mexico travel and declare "this is the way it is" for others to follow.

If I've said it before here once I've said it 1,000 times, each persons decision is right for them and them only. The only fail is to paint a risk picture for others with one's own broad brush, or stick a label on this place or that place as totally risk free or completely dangerous, or assign any variable degree of danger in between, and expect others to agree with you.

Yes. I get it. You don't think Mexico is a place you would want to travel right now. You are an experienced traveler, but Mexico isn't right for you right now. Other feel that they can manage the risk of travel there. Who is right? Who is wrong?

We all know life isn't risk free. We all know some sit on their couches, lock their doors and watch TV, while others jump out of planes, go scuba diving, soaring, sailing around the world, or climbing Everest. The key for all of us is to remember that each person is living their life in the manner that is right for them. We may not like their choice, but that choice needs to be respected. And there is no fail in moving between the extremes as life goes by. There are many changing factors and variables.

You may decide to return to Mexico this fall, and in the same month, I may decide to stop going. Who is right? Who is wrong? Do you see the picture now?

Mexico travel has risk. Many data points say that there are tangibles and intangibles that point to various risk factors increasing. Some look at those emerging data points and decide to belay their plans to travel there, if not cancel them altogether. That is fine, that is great. That is the right decision for them. Others factor in these data points and adjust their approach to Mexico travel.

Those that continue to travel to Mexico and who state here that the risk can be managed are again, making a decision that is right for them, and them only. They post here their travels, their stories, and their views.

You need to respect that.

tricepilot screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 08:27 PM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #8265
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

He can't withdraw. If he does he'll have no other audience to read his rediculous drivel.