Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #61
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
The crash bar never hit the ground, shouldn't be factor.
not just a crack, but a fracture of that mount, and your theory is that the engine rotated in the engine mounts with enough energy to do this damage...hmmm.

possible i suppose, but if you look at the way the engine is mounted in the frame, it would seem to indicate that a rear mount would be broken too. there's not much play in the rear mounting points once the bolts are in place, and the bolts are high tensile.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:58 AM   #62
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,259
HMMM.... Time for a great BIG skidplate I think. Long and wide to cover all the way back to the dog bone. Enduro Engineering claims they can make one for any bike. Nasty of someone to leave a ditch across the road. Was this a firebreak that was not re-filled? Glad you are OK .
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 AM   #63
2fast4u OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
not just a crack, but a fracture of that mount, and your theory is that the engine rotated in the engine mounts with enough energy to do this damage...hmmm.

possible i suppose, but if you look at the way the engine is mounted in the frame, it would seem to indicate that a rear mount would be broken too. there's not much play in the rear mounting points once the bolts are in place, and the bolts are high tensile.
The rear mounts are fine and a lot stronger then the front. The motor is consider a part of the frame. The back end took the blunt of the impact and i guess it was hard enough to make the weakest link give. Thats my theory but who knows.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:19 AM   #64
2fast4u OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
HMMM.... Time for a great BIG skidplate I think. Long and wide to cover all the way back to the dog bone. Enduro Engineering claims they can make one for any bike. Nasty of someone to leave a ditch across the road. Was this a firebreak that was not re-filled? Glad you are OK .
I'm going to put a skid plate on it but don't think it would have helped in this hit unless you tied it into the frame and that would take a lot of fad work, Some of the roads on LBL are not maintained and this was one of them. It was a wash out and would not have been a big deal on a dirt bike but it would still have a pucker factor at speed.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #65
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post

I'm going to put a skid plate on it but don't think it would have helped in this hit unless you tied it into the frame and that would take a lot of fad work, Some of the roads on LBL are not maintained and this was one of them. It was a wash out and would not have been a big deal on a dirt bike but it would still have a pucker factor at speed.
Like I was saying...these big behemoths don't slow down on dirt all that great but they do really move. You really have to assume the worst thing that could happen is in the road in front of you already. I usually ride my Strom 10 mph slower than my real dirt bike. I also don't ride it when everyone else has their real dirtbike,only with similar bikes. That way everyone is dealing with the same disadvantages. I would still figure out a way to get a big skidder on it. Look at how it is done on Weestroms.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #66
2fast4u OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Like I was saying...these big behemoths don't slow down on dirt all that great but they do really move. You really have to assume the worst thing that could happen is in the road in front of you already. I usually ride my Strom 10 mph slower than my real dirt bike. I also don't ride it when everyone else has their real dirtbike,only with similar bikes. That way everyone is dealing with the same disadvantages. I would still figure out a way to get a big skidder on it. Look at how it is done on Weestroms.
I agree with you even with me pushing the Ninja i could not stay with troy on his Drz 400 but i had to see.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #67
2fast4u OP
Studly Adventurer

Man i have tried a few times to down load my video to you tube but no luck. I don't understand why it keeps locking up. I will try to shorten it tonight and see if that works.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #68
2fast4u OP
Studly Adventurer

OK i think i got it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIOULFy-Xos
Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #69
singletrackslayer
Legalize singletrack

Oddometer: 463
Well . . . you weren't goin slow . . . sounded bad . . . glad you're OK!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #70
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Went for a all day ride with Troy in Land between the lakes and had a blast and also found some limits on the Ninja. Here is a few pics but i will post a link to a you tube video later

Looking at the design i can see how a downward jolt of the motor causes that. there's quite a horizontal lever there. It looks like we could install a bolt that runs all the way across both motor mounts to eliminate the torque on these mounts during an impact.

The video was a bit spooky with that huge log on the left and the tank slap. yikes
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #71
2fast4u OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Looking at the design i can see how a downward jolt of the motor causes that. there's quite a horizontal lever there. It looks like we could install a bolt that runs all the way across both motor mounts to eliminate the torque on these mounts during an impact.

The video was a bit spooky with that huge log on the left and the tank slap. yikes
I think that would work or surely help but i hope i never have an impact that big again.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #72
2fast4u OP
Studly Adventurer

Washed the mud off and after closer inspection.....

I have been 85 MPH and didn't feel anything.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #73
ktmklx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
if you keep riding that thing like you have been, better think about some wire wheels!
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #74
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 275
I can't even stand how cool that dual sport Ninja is!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #75
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,861
Quote:

i was cleaning up the bike yesterday and took the opportunity to look at the engine mounts again. man, when you look at that crack and calculate how much movement it takes to create it...all i can say is i suggest you inspect that bike very very carefully.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote