User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #46
axehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I love mine. Got stolen though

But today I got a call from the courts, it has been recovered and I should have it back in a week

Here it is in the desert:

Just before it got stolen:

In this pic I have a Scotts steering damper, Talon foot pegs, doubletake mirrors, low profile rear indicators and 17" super moto rims. Happy with all these mods and would do them again without a doubt.

I had the rims on for a track day, but the scrutineers failed me for a coolant leak (needed a new $2 o-ring around water pump cover). So yet to see the track.

Been for some rides with friends, and swapping back from their 530 KTM or 450 CRF, it feels like you are riding a BMX.

So light and nimble.
axehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #47
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Rode my WR 400 with a brand new to the rider a KTM 350.
Power was almost the same. Handling? To me, Almost the same. I ride in a big forest in southern new york state.
The trails were a little slick. Fell down only one time. on my WR400f.
So, For about $ 8,000 grand you get a Key, FI, Low gas light, plate, and button, and the coolest, wheels ever!! and i hope you like orange.
So, i am going to wash my WR 400 on sat. and and ride. Do not have 8,000 for the 350. And its only a 350 motor, mines a 400cc.
This my take on the 350 KTM!!! Enjoy!!!!
And 80 less pounds w/ the orange bike! I'de rather pick up the orange one, after all you did fall!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #48
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,172
80 pounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
And 80 less pounds w/ the orange bike! I'de rather pick up the orange one, after all you did fall!
80 pounds is alot of weight!! I will weight both see what the der. is!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #49
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by axehead View Post
But today I got a call from the courts, it has been recovered and I should have it back in a week
Really surprised to hear your 350 was stolen, especially in that part of the world. Glad it was recovered . I thought Islamic law was a major deterrent when it comes to stealing, especially when the penalty can be cutting off of hands.
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #50
axehead
Adventurer

In UAE it is normally jail sentence then deportation. Just been at the courts this morning to get a paper to tell the police to release the bike back to me. Then I need to see what damage has been done....

Just want to ride it again.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #51
axehead
Adventurer

I probably am now the proud owner of the worst 2012 350 in the world:

KTM 350 for sale, lady owner, never been in the desert or track!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #52
GravityDT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Well, all can say is WOW. Currently have @ 10 hrs on the bike so far and it has exceeded all expectations. Almost set up how I want it to be - a MT43 trials tire w/ Tubliss inserts and a rear brake rotor guard are the only remaining farkles. Quicktrip to DMV got me the magic plate the other day.

Here's a shot of the other days outing in my backyard - the Wasatch mountains
GravityDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #53
calltrex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristobal K View Post
That would be sweet: When you figure out the unlock code, please share.
I just took it to a dealer and he did it in 15 min
calltrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #54
dvwalker
Working to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by axehead View Post
I probably am now the proud owner of the worst 2012 350 in the world:

KTM 350 for sale, lady owner, never been in the desert or track!
That low life thief rode the wheel off of it, sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can get a replacement. The 2013's should be out next month.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #55
dvwalker
Working to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by calltrex View Post
I just took it to a dealer and he did it in 15 min
I asked but my local dealer wouldn't remap, doesn't want to risk any negative consequences with KTM.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #56
calltrex
Adventurer

theres a few places you can send your ecu to get remaped. forget who on k tmtalk

when the ecu is plugged into it... it records what dealer did what. probably why your dealer didn't want to.

theres always someone who will..

you can get the JD tuner instead.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #57
dvwalker
Working to ride

may have to go the jd tuner route to try and get a richer mix. With the de-smog complete and self-ejection of exhaust screen, sounds like it may be running too lean for my comfort.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #58
calltrex
Adventurer

this is your other option

http://www.vortexcdi.com/product_generic.php?cid=3
Old 06-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #59
axehead
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
That low life thief rode the wheel off of it, sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can get a replacement. The 2013's should be out next month.
Thanks. Got a quote from KTM for $4200 worth of damage. All external bolt on stuff, so I will probably resurrect the bike with all new bling if I can get the cash.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #60
Kelso
n00b

Oddometer: 2
2012 350exc-f impressions

I have about 10 hours on the bike so far. Still breaking in, but here are my impressions after 2 rides.

First couple of hours was a 50/50 mix of street and dirt. Feels alot like my old YZ125, very slim and light. Suspension is a little soft in the dirt, but still the motor is too new to really ride too hard. At the dealer's suggestion, I drained the oil and changed the filter. Few bits of metal on the drain plug but nothing out of the ordinary. Bike also lost a little coolant. One thing I have noticed so far is the quality of bolt hardware. I guess in an effort to save weight the fastners are soft and not the best quality. I guess that's also the reason for the dual Torx/8mm head bolts. Once you strip the cheap bolt, you have another chance to get them off.

The next 8 hours were accumulated all on dirt. Single Track, Two track, Fire road. All rough beat up, whooped out stuff. I stiffened the low speed compression and front fork compression a bit, nice difference. Bike is very light and responsive. I still would like to rev the engine higher, as I think this is where the bike wants to run, but I am still breaking in.
I'm glad I chose the 350 over the 500. I've ridden a few 520's,525's,530's, etc, but not the 2012 500. I realize the frame, ergonomics, and suspension, is different on all those 500's, but I felt the 500 was just too much unused power. I like to try and ride in the meat of the powerband, the 500's I rode felt too bogged down and when you revved a little more it was too much power and not really controllable. With the 350 the power is really useable all the way through each gear. The 350 turns on a dime. I was really surpised how low the center of gravity felt on some tough switchbacks. Even my old 300mxc felt top-heavy compared to this bike. I guess that is new technology for you, but I did not notice the weight of the bike in the tight stuff. I am also one of the most out-of-shape bastards on the planet, so KTM did something right to make the 350 feel smaller and lighter than it truly is.

Lastly, I did have some issues with hard starting after the bike had sat for a time, after a break, but I guess this will improve over time.

My next test will be a nice ride of 70+ miles of pavement to the riding area. I am interested to see the on-road rideability. Will report
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote