Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
makad OP
P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

Oddometer: 267
Where on Earth is Widgiemooltha?

Good question.
Thats Wid Gee Mool Thar in the local "Strine" dialect 'round here.
Also the location of the largest gold nugget (1235 oz) discovered in the Western Australian Goldfields in 1931. Read more of The Golden Eagle Nugget history here.

Its commemorated in one of a series of fairly collectable coins issued by the Perth Mint in 1987. This should stir some salivating in those gold bugs out there....

Its also the destination for a nice 5 day, 1600km ride about for LGDH and makad. Nothing too taxing but some points of interest along the way

LGDH

makad

Theres lots of little gold mines out in the bush through there, but all the easy stuffs been found. There is still a little bit of gold to be found out there for the hungry adventurer at the Widgiemooltha Roadhouse - The Widgie Burger!

....to be continued
makad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
makad OP
P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

So, now to the route.
Day 1 leaving home - Me from "The Shed", LGDH from outskirts of Perth - meeting at Karlgarin, overnight @ Tressies
Day 2, as much as possible of The Holland Track
Day 3 Finish "the Track", check out Cave Hill and try and get to Widgiemooltha for lunch and feast on the now world famous "Widgie-burger"! Find somewhere to Camp hopefully make it to Peak Charles.
Day 4 Back track from Peak Charles to a clearing sale @ Varley, and check out the gear at a farm where the banks have forclosed on a guy who is into them for $50million .....try and get to Lake Grace for a shower and BEERS
Day 5 Back home going our separate ways on roads ive never been down.

So here we go.
My little champ is the WR250R - just the same setup as when we did Holland Track & Lake Ballard - West Australia
last year. Packed and ready to go - a great little platform for this run.
Everyone else was away at work or school - so it was only old Reggie boy there to wish me well on this little ride about.

Heading that way!

Up again into the Range

Through the forrest

Out into the farmlands

On that same farm land - a brand new shiny 10.5km bauxite ore conveyor. This is one section that will take ore overland to an Alumina Refinery which is 70km away from here

There i was minding my own business out the back of the bush, when i came across THIS
So i was thinking yeah, thats pretty WTF until i pulled up and saw what the local rednecks had it facing

MAN! - i knew that i was out in banjo country - but had this marked the point at where the drums started?? Thats some bad juju right there. Note: this was NOT staged - there is no way i would touch that stinking thing..

After that i came across the water pipeline that i would follow to the end. There are several that provide for the large towns that spread out from the hills inland through the Wheatbelt. As i head inland it gets smaller and smaller.....

Beautiful Salmon Gums

With the rain that was coming, looks like someones gearing up to get started on this years crop!

I really hope these guys get the rain they need - when they need it!

Yee haw!!

Pipes getting smaller

....and smaller

I had a wierd mental image of this pipeline ending with a leaky tap on the end - dripping into a dogs bowl and some mutt like old Reggie Boy lapping away at it.
Clearly Id been on the road too long and it was time to park up at Tressies. LGDH had just pulled in and was unpacking. Time to head down to the Karlgarin Club and have a nice country meal and a few beers. Its been a good day.

to be continued.....
Old 06-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Gotta love those Salmon gums! Great photos - looking forward to more
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #4
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,694
Nice dog, enjoyed the pictures. Thank you
Ed
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
cul8rr
busa no more

Oddometer: 97
Got me in...
It's good to see some local trip reports.
Looking forward to more
Old 06-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
I can't do it now, but I will have to look this over closely at another time.
You didn't really fool me for a minute with your title, tho'. The first thing I thought was Australia, but then to be on the safe side, I added, maybe South Africa.
These are definitely some fine photos, and dramatic photos, as well.
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
makad OP
P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

Cheers!

Thanks for the comments fella's
On on...
Old 06-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
makad OP
P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

Day 2
Pretty cosy sleep @ Tressies - sort of like being at work - waking up in a donga. But packed up and ready to go with last minute fuel and stuff at Hyden

At the Hyden start of the Holland Track.

The sign on the left says that they would be conducting planned aerial burning and a phone no. to call. Since it was a Saturday of course no one at a Govt. Dept. was picking up the phone so, we figured that they wouldnt be trying to napalm us on a weekend either.

It seems we timed a Track run with regard to the weather pretty well. Nice cloud cover, not too hot during the day and not too cold at night.
LGDH had the GoPro set for 30sec shots and caught a few good'ns - theyre mixed in with stills from my Canon
Road Right = Easy , Track Left = not so easy ....but more fun!

The sand at the start was still as hungry as ever.

.....the solution

back on...on...

Thankfully most of the rain that came thru during the early part of the year had dried up

Mostly it was just cruizy cruising - with really variable landscapes.

Past Mt Holland and the Gold Mine nearby

Made it to the Cache in good time

It seems we were the only ones out here. The week before there was an entry from The BMW Motorrad Club, Moscow. That was a spinout but then again, its a small world.

Now a big highlight for me when coming through in Oct. 2011 was the Gnome Playground set-up a few kays down the road from here.
Old photo from that trip

When we got to the spot, it seemed that the little guys had packed up and moved on.
At least thats what i would like to think, rather than some killjoy wowsers deciding to clean it up to maintain the "purity" of the Holland Track experience.
It was a real shame As LGDH & I had bought along a couple of little mates for some new company for them. So, instead we abandoned our little guys along there to give some weary traveller a little lift along in an otherwise gruelling day.

To be honest. It was a relief to get rid of that little bugger. Took way too much space up and had a bit of a bad attitude. I should have known better - the sleeve tat , bloodshot eyes and the pisshead nose were a BIG giveaway.

True to the nature of our trip - LG bought along a very well behaved Miner and we all know that Miners, even minor Miners are all very nice people. I hope he strikes it lucky out here. I think he's going to have a few issues with the other joker though.

Good riddence - bloody stowaways!

So we carried on until we were about beat for the day. Found a good camp with about 40km left of the track to go - got out the Port, had a few - made camp - relaxed with food and a fire. Its been another good day

....to be continued
Old 06-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
LGDH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Where on earth?

Excellent ride report so far Makad Thanks and some really good photos.

LGDH
LGDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
DrunkWombat
GS and Proud

Oddometer: 2,186
Bravo Sir! Those Tatonka bags are indeed good, particularly for the price!

Awaiting next chapter eagerly.

DW

DrunkWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Great ride report--beautiful sand and (dry) clay. Hmmm. Ozark Oz don't much care for foxes? Not sure I get the part about the graveyard, however.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
AlexGSGreece
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
nice pics and great report!!

AlexGSGreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by makad View Post

Awesome RR thanks for sharing!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
makad OP
P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Great ride report--beautiful sand and (dry) clay. Hmmm. Ozark Oz don't much care for foxes? Not sure I get the part about the graveyard, however.
I dont think LGDH would agree with you about sand being beautiful.
....and as far as that fox goes, well that sure was a WTF moment. I was unaware of any voodoo / animist practices going on out there up until then . Oh well, Learn something new every day.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
makad OP
P/T Shed Dwelling Hermit

Day 3
Pretty good night but a nice little sprinkling of rain was enough to keep the dust on our trails under control for the best part of the day.
De-camping from Holland Tk "Good Camp".

A very pleasant 40 or so kays and then the end of the Track.

If you really love something, its not wrong to give it a hug is it?

Next it was off down sweet fast & clear tracks to Cave Hill

This is Cave Hill....cave

We came from out there, somewhere....

Cave Hill is pretty cool - but we couldnt stick around and it was getting close to lunch time and we had a date with a Burger.

It was good to get off the bikes, get water and have a relax at the Widgiemooltha Roadhouse. Interesting place and currently very much FOR SALE
Time to sample the Lunch time menu. Widgie Burger and mega-salty chips

It did the job - is it worthy of its world famous status - no, not really.

Lunch over - time to do some tarmac to get fuel in Norseman (pumps out of service at Widgie)
Big Trucker

Salt Lakes aplenty out there - this one is Lake Cowan

Yay! Gravel again. The track to Peak Charles.

Literally in the absolute middle of nowhere. Flat, flat, flat, flat, BUMP, flat, flat, flat, flat,.....

Peak Charles. elev. 651m (just for you HR)
With the daylight failing we sped like crazy to get to the camping spot out of the wind and set up. We didnt climb it either. Its too hard to get a bike up there.

End of another good day. Time to get out the port and have some dinner.

...to be continued