Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2012, 04:58 AM   #481
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Oddometer: 1,227
George! Where have you been? How's life up there on Long Island?
Sorry you missed the LAST of the Laurel Springs rallies.
I'll show you the probable new site when you get down here this summer.
Are you feeling any better? Remember: ice, not heat.

It look's like you have the photo thing figured out.
I can see them just fine all the way down here .
(You can teach me when you get down here, and maybe you can figure out how this
bike-mounted video camera works too and we can make some leaned-over-into-the-curves movies).

You are bringing some bikes down here to "Disneyland" this summer, aren't you? (dates subject to change).
We can swing by Jamie's and see if we can get him out for a ride.
He's working on a 1996 KTM Duke over there now along with all the usual track bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1200 View Post
Since this thread came back to life,,I figured I would try to figure out how to post pics directly from my phone....

. [IMG][/IMG]

ktmMike screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 06:26 AM
ktmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #482
Taz1200

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmMike View Post
George! Where have you been? How's life up there on Long Island?
Sorry you missed the LAST of the Laurel Springs rallies. I'll show you the probable new site when you get down here this summer. Are you feeling any better? Remember: ice, not heat.

It look's like you have the photo thing figured out.
I can see them just fine all the way down here .
(You can teach me when you get down here, and maybe you can figure out how this bike-mounted video camera works too and we can make some leaned-over movies).

You are bringing some bikes down here to "Disneyland" this summer, aren't you? (after 6/11 but before 8/2, and we have a little renovation going on "late June/early July" according to the contractor). We will swing by Jamie's and see if we can get him out for a ride. He's working on a 1996 KTM Duke over there now along with all the usual track bikes.

All good up here. I did not ride for the past 3 weeks and finally able to ride yesterday.. Still not 100% but getting better. I was lookin forward to the adv rally but it was too much at that time. I am heading upstate next weekend and since I missed the gravel roads down there I changed my original plans for next week to include dirt roads from connecticut through mass. and Vermont to the Canada border. I downloaded the routes but never rode any of them so it should be an adventure...ok got the dates so I will see when I can get off and need to be 100% to even pretend to keep up with you.lol
Taz1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #483
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Quote:
All good up here. I did not ride for the past 3 weeks and finally able to ride yesterday.. Still not 100% but getting better. I was lookin forward to the adv rally but it was too much at that time. I am heading upstate next weekend and since I missed the gravel roads down there I changed my original plans for next week to include dirt roads from connecticut through mass. and Vermont to the Canada border. I downloaded the routes but never rode any of them so it should be an adventure...ok got the dates so I will see when I can get off and need to be 100% to even pretend to keep up with you.lol
Check PM on the dates. There is a wild card.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #484
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Since this thread came back to life,,I figured I would try to figure out how to post pics directly from my phone....
It looks like a perfect tourer for me

Is that the SMT seat? How much of an improvement is it over the standard? I see that Seat Concepts also offer a seat. I have one on my 690 and love it.

I'll be checking my options tomorrow. Right now I just want to get rid of my damaged Tuono. I do not know the extent of the damages but I just feel like moving on. I will most probably only be able to get the 12' SMR with the ABS but it doesn't bother me too much.
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #485
Taz1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteEddie View Post
It looks like a perfect tourer for me

Is that the SMT seat? How much of an improvement is it over the standard? I see that Seat Concepts also offer a seat. I have one on my 690 and love it.

I'll be checking my options tomorrow. Right now I just want to get rid of my damaged Tuono. I do not know the extent of the damages but I just feel like moving on. I will most probably only be able to get the 12' SMR with the ABS but it doesn't bother me too much.

Yes it's the smt seat and I think it much better than stock ...comfort depends on the individual but I have done 500 mile days on it and was fine but since the fun factor is so intense on this bike nothing else matters when you are riding it.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #486
Goofy12
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Just bought a 990 SMR and wanted to say hi! Got lots of great ideas from lurking here for a bit.
Waiting for some pieces to get shipped from the dealer.
Hey Taz, what hand guards are you using?
Goofy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #487
Taz1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy12 View Post
Just bought a 990 SMR and wanted to say hi! Got lots of great ideas from lurking here for a bit.
Waiting for some pieces to get shipped from the dealer.
Hey Taz, what hand guards are you using?

Congratulations and welcome to the forum..you are going to love this bike...The handguards, windscreen, and rear luggage rack are all KTM oem parts for the 990 smt..
Old 05-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #488
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,285
F'n a! Sweet SMR - SMT hybrid!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #489
ktmMike OP
roadscout

I have both the SM-R seat and the SM-T seat.
I use the SM-T seat for two up riding, and the stock SM-R seat for riding the curvy roads one up.

The difference is a little bit hard to describe, but the SM-T seat seems to shift my pelvis back a bit,
which is comfortable for just sitting there, but makes it more difficult to stay "on top of the bike", or to keep my weight forward enough for handling the bike as precisely on the curvy roads. So I use the stock SM-R seat more.

Try one right after the other IN THE CURVES and see if you can feel the difference.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:56 AM   #490
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
I have both the SM-R seat and the SM-T seat.
I use the SM-T seat for two up riding, and the stock SM-R seat for riding the curvy roads one up.

The difference is a little bit hard to describe, but the SM-T seat seems to shift my pelvis back a bit,
which is comfortable for just sitting there, but makes it more difficult to stay "on top of the bike", or to keep my weight forward enough for handling the bike as precisely on the curvy roads. So I use the stock SM-R seat more.

Try one right after the other IN THE CURVES and see if you can feel the difference.

Exactly, I spent 2 afternoons on a demo SMT before I bought my R. Both solo and 2-up, about 300 miles in all. The T seat was def comfortable, but I felt it pushed me too far forward. At 6-2, I found myself too close to the tank and had problems shifting, esp downshifting, without lifting my left foot off the peg. It also seemed to "lock me into" a position and made it difficult for me to move around on the seat. I felt like my knees were flexed too much, especially if I had the balls of my feet on the pegs, and I didn't have enough extension in my ankle to complete the shift. And having a pillion seemed to make it worse. I guess it could just be me and my old stiff joints LOL. I might coulda adjusted the shift and brake lever to help some?

I have NOT ridden an SMR with the T seat, but suspect it would be the same for me anyway. I've found the R seat to be decent, 300+ mile days are not a problem, even with a passenger.
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #491
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
Exactly, I spent 2 afternoons on a demo SMT before I bought my R. Both solo and 2-up, about 300 miles in all. The T seat was def comfortable, but I felt it pushed me too far forward. At 6-2, I found myself too close to the tank and had problems shifting, esp downshifting, without lifting my left foot off the peg. It also seemed to "lock me into" a position and made it difficult for me to move around on the seat. I felt like my knees were flexed too much, especially if I had the balls of my feet on the pegs, and I didn't have enough extension in my ankle to complete the shift. And having a pillion seemed to make it worse. I guess it could just be me and my old stiff joints LOL. I might coulda adjusted the shift and brake lever to help some?

I have NOT ridden an SMR with the T seat, but suspect it would be the same for me anyway. I've found the R seat to be decent, 300+ mile days are not a problem, even with a passenger.
I have the same feeling. I got the T seat but also did not like how it locked me into one position so went back to the stock R seat. The R seat is pretty comfortable so I have no plans to replace it. I am keeping the T seat for any 2 up riding I might do.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #492
h8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Ugh, still waiting for my SMR to be delivered. Been obsessively looking at the few crappy photos I have of it. I'm 99% sure it has the SMT seat on it, which I'm not in love with. So, if anyone in the SoCal area (I'm in Temecula/Murrieta) wants to work out a trade for their stock SMR seat, let me know. I don't really want to spend another 190 bucks on a stock replacement and just let this SMT seat rot in my garage.

h8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #493
withiam
Philogynist

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Withiam!
Haven't heard from you in a while.
Where is Knudsen Flow anyway?

I have been lurking and holed up for the winter. Sold my DR650 and scored a 2009 SM610 with 20 miles on the odo. Still would like an SMR but couldn't sell my Super Duke so the Husky gives me my Supermoto fix. The Duke gives me the LC8 fix.
withiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #494
ktmMike OP
roadscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8ter View Post
Ugh, still waiting for my SMR to be delivered. Been obsessively looking at the few crappy photos I have of it. I'm 99% sure it has the SMT seat on it, which I'm not in love with. So, if anyone in the SoCal area (I'm in Temecula/Murrieta) wants to work out a trade for their stock SMR seat, let me know. I don't really want to spend another 190 bucks on a stock replacement and just let this SMT seat rot in my garage.

Yeah, I think that's a T seat or Ergo seat with a step in it like that.

The stock seat is flat and has a little orange on it like this:

Old 06-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #495
h8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Yeah, I think it's the ergo seat. I guess I'll be buying a stock seat this weekend. Bike is scheduled for delivery today.
h8ter is offline   Reply With Quote