Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #61
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. It is an oxidizer and relatively aggressive. Of course the concentration you get in the store is not so high, but I would keep it away from anything but the face shield (which people seem to have tested for long-term usage).

It is very efficient in bleaching pretty much anything, including skin, in higher concentrations. With low concentrations it just takes longer.

I have used it for years on my bikes. I even use it on the paint, rubber and plastic. Have never had a problem.
If you can use this on your skin, you can use it on almost anything..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #62
Dave2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemaycga View Post
+1 for Plexus and microfiber cloth. One added benefit is that Plexus helps rain bead off the visor and you can use a damp microfiber cloth in between Plexus applications. The product also treats the plastic so it's good for the visor.

Paper towels scratch, RainX will ruin the plastic over time, gas station squeegees contain sand and grit that will scratch. What you use depends on how much you care about keeping your visor in top shape. (Plexus claims to make small scratches less visible)

I'm interested in testing the pledge concept since Plexus is very expensive. Pledge is for wood products so I would think that it has oil which would smear the visor - anyone have facts on the ingredients found in pledge?
I've read somewhere that the ingredients for Plexus and Pledge are exactly the same.
Been using Pledge for years on my tupperware and my face shields.

Another system. Small spray bottle. Warm water w a drop of dishwashing liquid. Keep it in the tankbag with a microfiber towel.. Works great.

K1200RS 04
KLR 650 08
Dave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #63
RJK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. It is an oxidizer and relatively aggressive. Of course the concentration you get in the store is not so high, but I would keep it away from anything but the face shield (which people seem to have tested for long-term usage).

It is very efficient in bleaching pretty much anything, including skin, in higher concentrations. With low concentrations it just takes longer.
I hear ya, but at the low concentration levels of store bought peroxide(3%), that's then diluted again in a sprayer it doesn't hurt anything. But it's good at making organic bug guts soft and slippery again . I was very skeptical the first time I heard this long time ago, but after cautiously trying it, I'm a believer now. I'd say I've been using peroxide for over 10 yrs now and have never seen any ill affects from it.

Ive used Plexus, Pledge, and the drop of soap in a sprayer method many times, but for bug removal, especially when I'm on the road, peroxide is the way to go. When at home I still use peroxide to clean and than follow up with Plexis or Pledge (which makes everything easier the next time).
Old 06-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #64
RJK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
I've read somewhere that the ingredients for Plexus and Pledge are exactly the same.
Why on Tupperware?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #65
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
Nobody mention V Sponge? I've been using them for a couple of years and they're brilliant. Stay moist all season. Fits tidy in a jacket pocket so it's always available and ready to use.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #66
beck49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
+1 for the V2 sponge

Quote:
Originally Posted by muga View Post
V2 Sponge works great while on the go.. when I'm at home, I have used a heavily diluted CT-18 truck wash soaked in a microfiber towel, let it sit on the visor for a few minutes, then use a clean/dry microfiber towel to clean it off.. it's worked perfectly so far, just make sure it is diluted with plenty of water though.. it's also the best thing I have used to wash the bike with too..

V2 Sponge - http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/visor...sor-sponge.htm
CT-18 - http://www.chemtech.net.au/cr_ec_ct18.html
I'm sure all of the solutions posted work fine, but the advantage of the V2 sponge is that it works great and takes up virtually no room when traveling. It was apparently voted product of the year in the UK, for what that's worth.
beck49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #67
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
When I refuel, I take a windshield paper towel, soak it, and lay it over my face shield a couple minutes. The bugs come right off with vary a scrub. I do the same thing with the rest of my helmet and my windscreen.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:35 AM   #68
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Why on Tupperware?
FWIW, "tupperware" is slang for "plastic bodywork" on motorcycles...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #69
obadiah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEROST View Post
Hydrogen Peroxide works AWESOME on bugs. Buy a small spray bottle at Walmart (less than $1) and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide (super cheap). I carry that and a small microfiber cloth. When you stop, spray it on the faceshield and watch the foaming action of the HP breaking down the proteins in the bugs. Works better than anything else I have ever tried, it's easy to get, and super cheap. I've been using it for years.
My mom told me a similar story when I was growing up, I was bummed when I heard otherwise... the foaming action is not killing germs/breaking down proteins. Its just catalase turning peroxide into water and oxygen. Most things that live in an oxygen rich environment have it in their bodies, and it doesn't take much catalase (even with the relative size of a bug) since the churn rate for it is in the millions per second.

I guess I'm saying that you might as well just use water... probably cheaper?

Now that my 36 dollar/credit hour junior college was useful for the first time, I'm going to reward myself with a beer. :loll

Obadiah
Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #70
JDMitchell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
I knew there was a reason I liked the Pledge so much. The only complaint I have ever heard about it, is the fact that the lemon scent possibly attracts bees and wasps. I have always used the orange scent and I haven't noticed any stinging insects hanging around.

I have an iridium tinted shield and the pledge hasn't caused any streaking or discoloration unlike Windex that removed the coating on a previous shield.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #71
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,141
Lemon Pledge for me.
Use a wet towel of some sorts draped over the shield to soften up the bugs while doing other things, then finish with the lemon Pledge.

Cheers
Old 06-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #72
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 960
Quote:

Another system. Small spray bottle. Warm water w a drop of dishwashing liquid. Keep it in the tankbag with a microfiber towel.. Works great.
I use Plexus when the grunge is serious and also have a small Plexus sprayer in my jacket pocket. Generally, I use Pledge though, because the price of Plexus has gotten stupid expensive, and the Pledge is good enough.
I can say that Plexus does work better. No doubt in my mind. But not enough better to pay the $17 or whatever it is for a large can.

I have a small spray bottle of strong dishwashing liquid also. I use it in the winter because it help to keep the fog off the shield.