Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #31
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
Made a loop around Cold Lake today, little Chilly but clear roads in March, I'll take it.
Sure thing! Should have let me know, I was itching to go... They're calling for about 6 inches of snow in the next 24 hours, but should melt off by the end of the week!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #32
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
I've been on base since 88. currently living out the end of my sentence at 409. Look for a 1000 Vstrom (with pelican bags)or a yellow Dr200.
lots of good trails in the area with a lot of variety. You can do a lot of sand riding on the base and a lot of muck. The quad riders do a lot of damage to the trails, hard to ride where they chew it up but without them the trails would grow over fast.
The base has an off road club supposed to be maintaining the trails and making bridges etc. but they dont do a lot other than talk, hope they get their shit together this year as the enviro's are trying to shut down trail riding on base as the quadders get into the water which is a violation of a Alberta waterways proteciton act. To ride on the base you are supposed to be a member of the club or be with a member but the MP's cant stop any civies as the "open base" policy allows them full access to the public portions. As long as you ride courteously they wont bother you although members of the club have been a little militant towards wrong doers.
Good places to ride are behind Martinau, lots of criss crossing trails, keep an eye out for kids, dogs and their walkers and of course other quads and bikes. Lots of loose sand (almost Fesh fesh) between beaver and the golf course, be very careful about the boundaries of the golf course. Most of the fenceline around it are not standing, the golf course higher ups have been one of the major whiners in trying to shut down OHV use on the base. If you live on the base you must be a member to ride there, the MP's do have jurasdiction to harass you. I am not a member, waiting for them to actually use some of the money they take in to do the things they promise. The old hierarchy was a bunch of old boys club sort that only invited certain members to the fun stuff (poker rallys etc) and everyone else to the work parties. A lot of money was spent in the last decade but nothing accomplished.
on a dry day I can get my Dr200 around the backside of the base, ride the iron horse trail out to the trestle and then follow along the river, lots of muskeg and outright swamp up there but it is pretty neat. If it is still wet you have to fight to get a quad around it.
Just behind the base (out the back gate) you will find the gravel pit with a lot of good trails just off its north side. the road, in very poor condition follows the river several miles until you run into some bad stuff you cant get through on a bike but there is tons of trails running off it.
From Beaver you can leave the base through the trails but the road running east/west just north of there is a favorite place for the town rent a cop to camp. Hassles the dirt bikes and quads, cant do anything to my street legal Dr.
Just north of the on base track is the OD saddle club. bunch of psycho horse people, dont get caught on their side of the fence and watch out if you run into any of these idiots on the trails, they figure they own the place and will do some viscous crap to lone quadders and bikers if they think they can get away with it.
My favorite place to ride is in the cadet survival training area. stay away from the camp buildings and watch for the cadets during summer training season. They set up a central camp in a large open area so just ride nice when you see them and they don't mind. They do build sand bag bunkers on some of the trails as check points so watch out for them, usually easy to see but they do leave shallow trenches behind them.
The town track is really nice. professionally built and fairly cheap to ride on. The town does not like OHV's running out to the track and the rent a cops will jump you if they get half a chance. RCMP wont even blink unless you are riding like an idiot. Lots of nice trails in that area but they involve trespassing.
Lots of trails north, of 55 west of town. you can run trails from the primrose highway and end up north of Marie lake and not see a real road. If you get a chance head up the May lake Trail (hardcore 4x4 trail) on the may 24 weekend and watch the drunken mayhem. lots of mechanized stupidity going on. Rivals anything in the jackass movies.
Cold Lake is a great place to own a dual purpose bike, we have 2 paved roads in and a million trails and gravel roads. If you are riding the trails in the area get something light, the amount of muskeg and swamps you will have to skirt around will boggle the mind
On a sad note we already lost a rider in the area on friday. 20 years old, hit a parked flatbed truck.
Take care out there and hope to see all you this year.
wos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #33
downdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Looking forward to meeting some of you guys this riding season. New to biking, bought a Husqvarna dual sport from T&T last September and love it.
downdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #34
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Unfortunately, I'll be leaving for a 3 months course in Qc in mid-April. I should be back by the beginning of August...

But then, I'll try to organize some trail rides and meetings. Until then, ride safe!!

And for the interested, yes, I'll be riding the bike to Montreal!!

Hopefully, the snow will be gone by then...
Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #35
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacktaz View Post
Unfortunately, I'll be leaving for a 3 months course in Qc in mid-April. I should be back by the beginning of August...

But then, I'll try to organize some trail rides and meetings. Until then, ride safe!!

And for the interested, yes, I'll be riding the bike to Montreal!!

Hopefully, the snow will be gone by then...
Darn it was a cold ride!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #36
BriKielyGSman
BigBadBri

Oddometer: 510
June 9-10 in Montreal

Marty - I have seen you riding around town. Figured I would track you down one day.

Make sure you check out the Rallye BMW Montreal while you are down east. There are a bunch of good people on all kinds of bikes. Say hello to Charles (the owner of Moto International) for me if you go.

http://rallyebmwmontreal.ca/

Give me a buzz when you are back in town. I am always looking for fellow backroads/trail riders.

Brian

BriKielyGsMan's South America Ride Report - Two Up.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259451

BriKielyGSman screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 09:17 AM Reason: changes
BriKielyGSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #37
downdog
Adventurer

Great blog Brian, wow, lots of adventures!

Just wondering if anyone from the board was through Bonnyville this evening? Saw a pair of GS1200's on main street around 6:30.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #38
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriKielyGSman View Post
Marty - I have seen you riding around town. Figured I would track you down one day.

Make sure you check out the Rallye BMW Montreal while you are down east. There are a bunch of good people on all kinds of bikes. Say hello to Charles (the owner of Moto International) for me if you go.

http://rallyebmwmontreal.ca/

Give me a buzz when you are back in town. I am always looking for fellow backroads/trail riders.

Brian
Hahaha, maybe you should have!! Would have made for a good story... if only you could catch me!! LoL

I'm thinking about joining the Rally, but I wasn't sure about going to a GS rally with a KTM...!! I can only imagine the dirty looks from the hard core propeller fans!! Maybe I'll go anyway...

Of course I'll let you know when I get back!! It will be fun to ride with someone!!

Marty

PS - Buy a KTM, the thermometer does go BELOW 0 celcius!! Don't ask how I know... LoL!!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #39
downdog
Adventurer

Got back in to the Dupre fire area tonight. Came into it from the north east. Lots of good dual sport riding thru this area on cutlines and fire breaks. Didn't want to go too far in as a chopper was still dumping water.

It only burnt along the ground in this area

Fire break? or access road

Old 06-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #40
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Hey guys, thought I'd drop a line to let you know I'm not dead!! Quebecers drive like madmen, and it feels like this part of the country is civil war-ridden...!!

Anyhow, how are things back home?? Are most of the brushfires over??

Can't wait to get back...

Cheers!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #41
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
The fire scene has cooled off but the fire hazards is still high. We've has some rain off and on the past couple of days but the wind keeps drying things out.

grump
grumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #42
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
The fire scene has cooled off but the fire hazards is still high. We've has some rain off and on the past couple of days but the wind keeps drying things out.

grump
So, grump, how do you like those German rubbers?? I was looking into them as well as the OEM set to replace my 10 000 kms Pirelli Scropions...

We all know what they look like after that kind of mileage in our part of the country!! Deep tread on the sides, and a nice racing slick in the centre...!! LoL
Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #43
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
German Rubbers

I've been out on both the KLR and wee strom with the K60 scouts. Haven't had the chance to try them in the mud as yet but the pattern on the 130/80-17 ( KLR) really digs in the snow. The wee strom handles a lot better in the gravel than the Shinko 705s. The other day went down though Laurier lake - Onion lake-Marwayne areas hitting as much gravel as I could, the tires felt really stable and I often had to slow to highway speeds. Both tread patterns do have a bit of a thump/pulse due to the tread pattern, not as smooth as the shinkos were on the pavement. The rear on the strom (150/70-17) is bumpy on corners but still feels confident when leaning over. I think my chicken strips on this tire are about a 1/2" wide, so cornering is good.

I was up by English Bay on Weds. The grader had just completed bringing all the gravel to the top of the road, I thought I might have some handling issues with all the loose material but KLR and the scouts just ripped through it. Very happy with the handling.

Installing on the wee strom was a challenge. The front didn't want to seat, had to tighten a strap around the outside of the tire in order to get it to seat. The rear tire was just as hard to spoon on as the rear as on my Gold wing. KLR install was a piece of cake.

grump
grumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #44
downdog
Adventurer

Anyone out riding this summer? Took a run up to Wolf Lake today, then over to Cold Lake for a Tim's break.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:36 AM   #45
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdog View Post
Anyone out riding this summer? Took a run up to Wolf Lake today, then over to Cold Lake for a Tim's break.
I don't know about the others... What I do know is that I'll be back in about a month!! Woohooo!!