User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
P B G OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,993
Propane Tank Fitting Standards?

Anyone here familiar with the various threaded fitting types used on propane tanks?

I have a number of tanks I use on my forklift, but I'd like to use them on my turkey frier instead of buying "blue rhino" tanks which cost more to refill than hitting the U-Haul.

Unfortunately the couplers don't match up. Forklift coupler is brass, seems has a straight internal stub with rubber rings inside the female on the tank.

On the turkey frier it has the plastic knob and the inner brass with the tapered nose.

Are there standard names so I can search for adapters or hose couplers?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
rick505
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I hope you get a few more informed answers but I found this site that shows some pictures under fittings that might help you identify the various fittings

Propane Warehouse

Good Luck.

Rick
rick505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,194
The forklift tanks are designed to allow liquid propane to be drawn off rather than vapour and as such are completely incompatable with your frier. That's why the fittings are different, it prevents someone from accidently using the liquid tank for a vapour appliance. The result would be a very rapidly cooked turkey, but finding where it landed after the explosion would be the challenge.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
P B G OP
Beastly Adventurer

Interesting, are there evaporator fittings to permit liquid expansion outside of tank?

Is it possible to utilize one of the other threaded plugs on the tank to install a different fitting? I would assume the tanks can be either way, liquid or gas?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,589
Forklift bottles have a dip tube to draw off liquid gas. Grills work off vapor.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Forklift bottles have a dip tube to draw off liquid gas. Grills work off vapor.
So the trick would be to run the bottle inverted, then? All the forklift bottles I've seen have been mounted sideways, so maybe there's a This Way Up notation on them somewhere.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,704
I have discovered that it's usually best not to try to out wit ( by observation ) some one that has engineered a safty margin, even as modest as a few letters stamped in a tank, into something that has the potential to really make a mess out of your day not to mention your house. I haven't tried this yet so I'm unsure but Google propane cylinder explosion.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,264
If the propane cylinder has an outlet marked "vapor" you can use it. If it doesn't, don't even try. Running a half filled bottle upside down would work as long as the tank doesn't have an auto stop fill valve on it, but it would be dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,300
Eh?

Backyard and or hillbilly engineering is a bad idea when it comes to Propane tanks...

Not worth it to save a few bucks in my opinion.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
P B G OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Backyard and or hillbilly engineering is a bad idea when it comes to Propane tanks...

Not worth it to save a few bucks in my opinion.
I don't want backyard hillbilly engineering, usually when there is an issue there exists an engineered solution for said issue.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,704
The propane tank at work has a fitting for filling forklift trucks?
There is an adapter that will enable you to fill tanks with the valve that is compatable with BBQs, Travel trailers and such.

"Politicians are always interested in people.
Not that this is always a virtue.
Fleas are interested in dogs." -P.J.O'Rourke
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #12
jbhawley
WTF- Gus?

Oddometer: 413
Ahem...
After reading this post and snickering a bit I decided it was time to chime in. Let me preface my post by stating that I worked as an LP Gas technician back in the 90s at a local LP Gas Company. Needless to say...I know way too much about LPG.

First, the fork lift tank is just a propane tank. It is probably made from aluminum rather than steel for weight. No biggie. It does not matter. What matters is the tank fitting. Most likely you have this type of valve. Its called a Forklift Service Valve.

Attached to this valve is probably an adapter that looks like an OPD fitting. IT IS NOT HOWEVER! This valve/fitting is a 1 1/4 ACME. The OPD is a 1 5/16 ACME.
But all is not lost.

LPG powered engines may use the vapor or the liquid. You can easily tell by the tank positioning when the tank is on the forklift. If the tank is laying sideways then its most likely liquid powered. If the tank is vertical then its vapor powered.

Yes you "can" use the forklift tank as a turkey frier tank. First...sit the tank up right so the valve is on the top. While in your yard and away from any ignition source, slowly open the valve. You should get LPG vapor. If so then you are good to go. Now all you will need is an adapter for the tank valve.

Too much info coming now...
Most post - mid-90s LPG tanks (non-motor fuel tanks) have a OPD (overflow protection device) valve. This allows/protects the tank from being overfilled. Within the tank and attached to the valve is a float of sorts that one lifted stops the LPG from entering the valve when the tank is being filled. Older tanks have the old POL valve.
FYI...these are all LEFT handed threads...no righty tighty, lefty loosely...its the other way.

POL Fitting

OPD Fitting

The POL valve looks like this.

The OPD valve looks like this

The beauty is that the OPD valve as internal thread that will allow the POL fitting to screw inside. The POL fitting...not so much. An OPD fitting will not screw into a POL valve. So if your tank has the OPD valve then you can use either the older POL fitting or the newer OPD fitting. The fitting is what is attached to the hose...so to speak.

Now which adapter do you need.
If you have the OPD valve then you are good to go to connect to your frier. It is 99% unlikely that the forklift tank will have an OPD valve.

If you have the POL valve then you need an adapter such as this:
http://www.propanewarehouse.com/qccf...il.asp?ID=3005
It is also 99% unlikely that the forklift tank will have an POL valve.

If you have the forklift fuel valve with the adapter as show above then you can do this.
Keep the adapter on the valve.
Buy one of these which will screw on the forklift tank valve/adapter.
http://www.propanewarehouse.com/fork...ls.asp?ID=6015

Also get one of these which will screw onto the above adapter.
http://www.propanewarehouse.com/qccf...il.asp?ID=3031
From this adapter your frier OPD female fitting will fit...the one attached to the hose.

So when all is done you will have a contraption that is Valve > adapter > adapter > adapter > hose.
It will work and all the parts are engineered to fit together properly. Is it worth the cost? Doubtful.

Again, this is very much do-able, but to be frankly honest, by the time you put in the time and money to get all the parts you could buy you a regular frier tank for 50$ and not have to monkey with all these adapters.

"All the inconvenience and sweat and discomfort of body armor suddenly pales when you're sliding comfortably down the highway on all fours." -ghostdncr

jbhawley screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 04:14 AM
jbhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #13
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,300
Now we get an expert. Just what I figured. All those adaptors are going to cost $50 bucks anyway. Which you can buy a Rhino tank for the same price.

Unless you can find one for cheap somewhere.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
2speed
Puching adventurer

Oddometer: 828
What if you wanted to use a Rhino tank on a liquid powered forklift?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2speed View Post
What if you wanted to use a Rhino tank on a liquid powered forklift?
on a treadmill.....

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote