Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Congrats Tony
Cornbread82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #92
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Oddometer: 4,872
Just got home a bit ago. Our team got 2nd 50 pro, lost by 61 seconds. Had suspension and tire change issues, still a good finish considering the bike wanted to send you over the bars most of the time. My section was short, I guess they watned to break me in easy for my first one. It was an awesome experience, and I hope they invite me back for the 1000.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #93
Wannabeeuro
Tuner chic

Oddometer: 1,858
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli View Post
Second in their class!!!
Awesome! Congratulations Tony!

Find Me with SPOT http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kUQSskMiIucMuB
Wannabeeuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #94
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,716
BOOOOOOYA!!!! Way to go Tony and Levi!!!!!! Congratulations!!! Now get home so you can slow her down a bit and help me clear trails!!
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #95
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
Just got home a bit ago. Our team got 2nd 50 pro, lost by 61 seconds. Had suspension and tire change issues, still a good finish considering the bike wanted to send you over the bars most of the time. My section was short, I guess they watned to break me in easy for my first one. It was an awesome experience, and I hope they invite me back for the 1000.
Well done Mike!!! Pretty amazing that the 50 year old class was that close after that distance!!!!

It seems like many times races in Baja are won/lost, not by how fast the rider/drivers are, but how the team as a whole handles problems. As an example BJ Baldwin lost to Minzies in the Trophy Truck Class by 11 seconds. BJ had 3rd gear tranny problems, and Minzies had 3 flat tires. (A flat tire will cause a car to lose between 5 to 8 min each.)

We had issues with the 49 truck with Troy Herbst losing a tranny at race mile 28, putting us about an hour behind and in the middle of the slowest car classes. The 19 truck had a strong run going with Larry Roseler handing the truck to Tim Herbst in 3rd. Tim managed to get up to 2nd but he then lost an alternator just before Santo Thomas losing a full 45 min.

BTW, I saw you ride by our pit at Uruapan, you looked back but kept going.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #96
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Congrats to Tony and Levi, did they ride it with just two guys? If so, that is quite a feat.

The whole week down there was incredible. We were staying at the Las Palmas, as was the the 4X team, all of our team riders and a cast of Baja legends. Got to meet Donnie Emler and Danny LaPorte, eating breakfast at Juan's in Uraupan with Marc Coma sitting at the table next to us, met ton's of cool people, from locals to Americans living the life in Baja. I rode my section no less than 8 times, and had it dialed. The rock whoops were a trip, and I struggled the first couple of times through, but give me the luxury of pre-running and searching for lines and I had them dialed. There was a perfectly smooth line to the left, a narrow shelf between the whoops and the water. The tricky part was getting over to it, but once you did, it was 4th gear and almost pinned. I was going through there at close to 70 mph (or at least it seemed like it).

My only complaint is it was too short of a section, hell, I was barely warmed up. But, I don't make the decisions, and it's probable just as well, I will get plenty more miles in the 1000.

Our Super Secret rider to be announced was Paul Ostbo. That guy is an animal, and he really wicked it up, then Checker Mike "Korny" Korenwinder got on at Borrego and brought it to me at the crossover road. I took to just past Coyote Cal's. I got pretty spoiled by the weather, I don't think it got over 75 degrees the whole week in my section. The guys on the other side were riding in 100+ temps.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #97
KZJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
So tell us Mike, are ya hooked?
Team Hammernutrition/T&S Motorsports
KZJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #98
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Congrats to Tony and Levi, did they ride it with just two guys? If so, that is quite a feat.

My bad....I think they had a third...Young Garret Mola....young, dumb and full of FAST!!!
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #99
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:

The whole week down there was incredible. We were staying at the Las Palmas, as was the the 4X team, all of our team riders and a cast of Baja legends. Got to meet Donnie Emler and Danny LaPorte, eating breakfast at Juan's in Uraupan with Marc Coma sitting at the table next to us, met ton's of cool people, from locals to Americans living the life in Baja. I rode my section no less than 8 times, and had it dialed. The rock whoops were a trip, and I struggled the first couple of times through, but give me the luxury of pre-running and searching for lines and I had them dialed. There was a perfectly smooth line to the left, a narrow shelf between the whoops and the water. The tricky part was getting over to it, but once you did, it was 4th gear and almost pinned. I was going through there at close to 70 mph (or at least it seemed like it).

My only complaint is it was too short of a section, hell, I was barely warmed up. But, I don't make the decisions, and it's probable just as well, I will get plenty more miles in the 1000.

Our Super Secret rider to be announced was Paul Ostbo. That guy is an animal, and he really wicked it up, then Checker Mike "Korny" Korenwinder got on at Borrego and brought it to me at the crossover road. I took to just past Coyote Cal's. I got pretty spoiled by the weather, I don't think it got over 75 degrees the whole week in my section. The guys on the other side were riding in 100+ temps.
Bro-

Those guys hooked you up! Last year at the 1000 that was my son Ian's section and we rode from Valley T to Santo Tomas like 6 or 7 times. This time at the 500 he rode from Borrego to the meadow. Pre-ran that 3 times and had enough! Hot, whoops, stupid fast then more whoops. Was dreaming of the coast the whole time, meadow to Santo Tomas suits my style just fine! Glad to hear you did well. -Brad-
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #100
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Yep, it was awesome. And it was so short I could run it, meet my chase guy a Cal's, have a soda and go back and do it again. It really paid off.

Also, I should have mentioned Steve Williams, he started and finished for us, a very good, fast guy. O'neal and the bike owner Winkleman did short stints as well.

Are you the Rad Brad? I think I race against you in Big 6
Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #101
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Moto Mike-

Ya I ride some Big 6 in the Magnum Heavyweight Expert class. Good for a holeshot and fade to around 8th! Those races are hard if you are not in shape. Do better in sections that are not real rough being an old Speedway dude. I am married to Colton Udall and Ian Youngs Mom so I am spending lots of time following the boys to races. Like to do secret trails around Mikes and ride a training loop from Cleghorn to the Arrowhead area. Always up for a ride if you want a wingman! Brad - 949-492-9933 -
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #102
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by radbrad511 View Post
Moto Mike-

Ya I ride some Big 6 in the Magnum Heavyweight Expert class. Good for a holeshot and fade to around 8th! Those races are hard if you are not in shape. Do better in sections that are not real rough being an old Speedway dude. I am married to Colton Udall and Ian Youngs Mom so I am spending lots of time following the boys to races. Like to do secret trails around Mikes and ride a training loop from Cleghorn to the Arrowhead area. Always up for a ride if you want a wingman! Brad - 949-492-9933 -

I think I saw you in San Felipe at the thrifty ice cream shop, you both had on OX shirts.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com

azcagiva screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 01:59 PM
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #103
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,455
MotoMike @ 14sec:

Old 06-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #104
MotoMike
Washed Up Desert Racer

Cool! Thanks Craig. I have been looking for video and pics, but not finding anything, where did you get this?

BTW, at the beginning, with the Weatherman audio, the picture looks suspiciously like they are sitting in line at the Tecate border crossing. It took us 5 freaking hours to get through Otay Mesa crossing.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #105
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,643
Quote:
Cool! Thanks Craig. I have been looking for video and pics, but not finding anything, where did you get this?

BTW, at the beginning, with the Weatherman audio, the picture looks suspiciously like they are sitting in line at the Tecate border crossing. It took us 5 freaking hours to get through Otay Mesa crossing.
You need the passport cards. The ready lane is rarely more than an an hour at Otay or SY.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote