Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
glasswave OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
How to tell if a tire is tube or tubeless?

How do you find out if a tire is tube type or tubeless? The manufacturers websites don't seem to say anything and the only tire store that seems to include this info is bikebandit.com.

BikeBandit says that the Kenda Big Block is a tube only tire, but that the Scorpion Rally is tube or tubeless.

OTH, someone that seems knowledgeable on stromtrooper insists exactly the opposite.

Could you tell me where to find this info? Also, will the Kenda indeed work tubeless?

thanks
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 3,992
According to this site it is.

Dennis Kirk lists it as tubeless as well as a post I found on stromtroopers.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,067
Aren't all tubeless tires marked as such? I thought that's how the nomenclature worked--tube tires are unmarked, and tubeless are marked.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
glasswave OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Aren't all tubeless tires marked as such? I thought that's how the nomenclature worked--tube tires are unmarked, and tubeless are marked.
I wouldn't know, but if they are marked, then how? Does the sidewall say "tubeless" or is there some letter designation to look for? Also, most websites don't show you what the sidewall says anyways, so how is one supposed to tell?

Also, since it seems to be a fairly important qualification, why don't most manufacturers & tire retail websites list this information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
According to this site it is.

Dennis Kirk lists it as tubeless as well as a post I found on stromtroopers.
Is that the only way to tell, just keep looking at websites until a consensus is achieved? Do you know on the Scorpion Rally?

thanks
Old 06-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

I agree about the retailers telling you, but the Kenda website doesn't say, if you can't find the info there...

I just checked and the Kenda's I have on my CB say tubeless as well as the Metzlers on my K75, interestingly they (the Metzlers) also say to use a tube on a tube type rim.
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
I wouldn't know, but if they are marked, then how? Does the sidewall say "tubeless" or is there some letter designation to look for? Also, most websites don't show you what the sidewall says anyways, so how is one supposed to tell?

Also, since it seems to be a fairly important qualification, why don't most manufacturers & tire retail websites list this information?

Is that the only way to tell, just keep looking at websites until a consensus is achieved? Do you know on the Scorpion Rally?

thanks
Dennis Kirk is usually one of the better info sites, and they list the Scorpion Rally as a tubeless, here.

I really thought the Pirelli site would have that info, but I can't find it. So I won't really fault Kenda for not having the info.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
domains
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
alot of times its marked on rims
domains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
glasswave OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
Dennis Kirk is usually one of the better info sites, and they list the Scorpion Rally as a tubeless, here.

I really thought the Pirelli site would have that info, but I can't find it. So I won't really fault Kenda for not having the info.
Yeah, I saw that after I checked your Kenda link. I don't understand how the vendors expect on to shop for tires w/o this info. I guess there are only a few tire sizes that cross over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domains View Post
alot of times its marked on rims
I am not exactly sure how something printed on a rim would ensure what type of tire is mounted, but I am wondering for shopping purposes and they sell the tires w/o any rim information.

thx
Old 06-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
The sites I use will some times indicate TL in their tire description for tubeless . TT if tube type. You can run a tube in a tubeless tire but not visa versa.

Rims for tubeless tires have a bead channel and the tubeless tire should have a more pronounced bead than a tubed version.

The tire will have tubeless on the sidewall. The tire on my thumper says tube type, but I am not sure if all do that.

I just mounted a Scorpion Rally and it is marked Tubeless. I am running a tube in it on my spoked rim.

itsatdm screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 11:18 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Look at your valve stem, does it come through the rim and lock with a nut or does it have the rubber sealing grommet on it.....
Old 06-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
Dexter2811
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
The sites I use will some times indicate TL in their tire description for tubeless . TT if tube type. You can run a tube in a tubeless tire but not visa versa.
The tire will have tubeless on the sidewall. The tire on my thumper says tube type, but I am not sure if all do that.
I just mounted a Scorpion Rally and it is marked Tubeless. I am running a tube in it on my spoked rim.
Indeed, any Tubeless tire will have "TL" ; "Tubeless" or "For tubeless rim" in both sides. Tube type tires will have TT or nothing.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,523
isn't this guy is asking about tires not if his rims are tubeless or not?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote