Old 06-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #31
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post

Great photos!!
Thanks, I try...
Save $5 off your smugmug account with this coupon( 1qoLJk8tfsGWM )
Deano955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #32
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Heading Home

I left my dad's place around 9-9:30 after one more ride up Mt. Lemmon. Heading up, he smoked me once again. We decided on a little drag race that morning. He thought he would take it easy on me with his lighter bike with similar power to weight ratio. He let me have a little head start. He lost. Big time....

I was going to stay another day and ride home via similar roads that I took heading out but after looking over the maps with my dad he convinced me I should ride some other way home.

I slabbed it up I-10 to Phoenix and hated every minute of it. 90 something miles of cops, construction and HOT! That was nothing compared to US 60 out to Wickenberg. If I had any clue as to how many stop lights there were on that stretch I would never have gone that way. 100+ temps, ATGATT, and a seemingly endless parade of retirees in Buicks...

Sucked big time! But, it was worth it.

Deano955 screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 08:38 PM
Old 06-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #33
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Arizona 89 from about Yarnell to Prescott was an absolute riot!!! While sitting in my motel room in Flagstaff Wednesday night, I wrote an email to my dad telling him that this particular section of road is God's Gift to motorcyclists. It is.

89A, from Prescott to Sedona does not suck either.

Stopped just above the town of Jerome, AZ.

Jerome, what time is it?

Morris Day out of my mind now, Jerome reminded me of small towns in the Italian Alps that I was lucky enough to visit a long time ago. It would be nice to go back some time.

Deano955 screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 09:14 PM
Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #34
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

89 from Sedona to Flagstaff was rough at best. Traffic out of Sedona was heavy. This normally doesn't present a problem as horsepower makes for easy passing. But this time, heading up Oak Creek Canyon, I had the pleasure of following about 10 cars behind a LEO. Fun. LEO eventually turned around, about 2/3 the way up the twisties. It's a beautiful stretch of road when you can breathe...

I arrived in Flagstaff around 4 pm. It was a gorgeous afternoon so I decided to stop for the night. I got a room at the Knight's Inn for the lowest price of any of the rooms I stayed in on this trip. It was a decent room. Clean, new bathroom and wifi for less than $50. Deal.

The sunlight in Flagstaff at around 6 pm was all right too. I had a few IPA's, felt all artsy fartsy and walked around the older section of town with my camera.

All that walking after all that hot riding made this boy thirsty. I'm not sure I've had a better tasting Mojito

The Panang Curry was delicious as well. Best meal I had on the entire trip and cheap too. Dinner and drink for less than $20 with tip. I like Flagstaff.

Deano955 screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 08:52 PM
Old 06-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #35
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

The Grand Canyon

I slept well in Flagstaff but still woke up around 4am. Par for the course when hanging out with dad. I got busy around 4:30 am and did some sketches for one of my projects, emailed them to my boss, then was on the road by 6. There were a lot of deer on US 180 that morning. Fortunately, I did not experience what my old man had last week.

One of the early arrivals:

Beautiful light, low traffic. Best way to ride through the Park.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #36
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Flagstaff, AZ to Torrey, UT

The Grand Canyon is always worth the trip. Especially when you arrive during the Golden Hours. I didn't stay very long because I've been there, done that and had other places to see. I wasn't sure how far I would go and had not been on 89 from Page, AZ so that was the direction I motored.

Most of the ride to Page from the big hole in the ground is a journey through barren desert along straight, rough asphalt. There a a few turns but not many. Most of what one sees is big sky, wind and reddish rock. Beautiful. Then there is this little engineering marvel called the Glen Canyon Dam.

This little number is why myself, my dad, and so many others have been able to experience the pleasures of Lake Powell. Most of my dealings with engineers leave me frustrated. This one always puts a smile on my face.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #37
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

I met a father and son riding today. They were from Ft. Collins, CO about 1.5 hours from where I live. The son was riding a Ninja ZX9R of the same vintage as my dad's. We were stopped on the highway for construction south of Page. Dispersed and met again at the Glen Canyon Dam Visitor Center. I'm pretty sure that both of them will remember this trip for the rest of their lives. I know I will.

The ride from Page, Arizona to Kanab, Utah is not special. It's pretty if you've not seen red sandstone before but for me it was straight, with rough pavement and a good amount of wind. Kanab was an oasis. I stopped only long enough to refuel the Bird. Leaving Kanab the ride became a whole lot more fun!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #38
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Utah 12. Holy Shite!

I'm sure that most Utards know this but until 2 days ago, I had no idea. Utah 12 is perhaps the best motorcycle road ever! Granted, this statement comes from my limited experience, but holy balls that road is amazing!

I had so much fun riding that it was difficult to stop for photos. If you ever have the chance, ride it! You won't be sorry. From deep, hot, sandstone canyons, to riding an alpine ridge line barely wide enough for two way traffic, and everything in between, this road delivers everything the sport-touring rider craves.

I wasn't the only hooligan out there:

After perhaps one of the best rides I have ever been on, I spent the night in Torrey, Utah. My Days Inn motel room was pricey at best. But, being my last night on this trip I was OK with it. I even decided to splurge for dinner.

My tequila mojito was excellent. The Rattlesnake Cakes were interesting, and the turkey main course was OK at best. My server Renee was a peach however.

Torrey is a town where I would like to spend more time. At the edge of Capitol Reef National Park, there are incredible riding adventures to be had. Dual sport, sport, pedal bikes, heck, even hiking to the 10th power.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #39
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Torrey, Utah to Littleton, Colorado

The big finish.

I left the bucolic town of Torrey by 6 am Friday morning. Riding east, into the cornea-burning sun, the canyons of Capitol Reef National Park have been burned into my mind.

Exiting the twisting sandstone canyon along Utah 24 at Hanksville, on one of the fastest production motorcycles ever produced, I stretched my legs... Not the first time on this trip to be well into triple digits, but I made some time to say the least.

While enjoying breakfast in Green River, waiting for the sun to get higher, I planned my route home.

Sorry for the
http://www.whitehorsegear.com/the-co...ing-colorado-2

http://www.butlermaps.com/

But, it is because of these two that I had the pleasure of riding the Grand Mesa Scenic Byway. Breathtaking almost comes close.

From CO 65 to CO 133 over McClure Pass,

then in to Carbondale, Aspen and over Independence Pass,

to Buena Vista, Fairplay, and home on the High Grade;

it was an outstanding road trip. One that I will remember for the rest of my life. One that I won't take for granted. Who knows when the next time I will get to ride with my dad might be.

2722 miles on my 2000 Honda Blackbird with absolutely ZERO troubles.One could write an essay covering the virtues of sport touring on a budget with this bike. I just bought/ stole it this winter with 10k miles on it. Why pay $16K for a comparable new sport touring bike?

Until my next day trippin'

Cheers

Deano955 screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 10:23 PM
Old 06-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #40
Moyle
moyle

Oddometer: 29
very nice

Glad you had a good time. Your photos were great. Wish I had gone with.
Moyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #41
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Dean... Outstanding, in every measure. The images, the descriptions, the tales, etc. and etc. Oh, and the bike too. Owned a '99 XX for six terrific years. It delivered many special memories. Over the weekend on a group ride to Guffey I was with a rider who rode AZ 89 from Prescott last winter. He gushed over that perfectly twisting ribbon of road. I guess he was telling the truth!

Steve
Old 06-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #42
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Less Honda more Triumph.

Cool pics.
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #43
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach View Post
Less Honda more Triumph.

Cool pics.
Working on it...

This last trip was a Honda trip cuz Dad needed to ride it. The Tiggers don't do it for him quite the same.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #44
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
Dean... Outstanding, in every measure. The images, the descriptions, the tales, etc. and etc. Oh, and the bike too. Owned a '99 XX for six terrific years. It delivered many special memories. Over the weekend on a group ride to Guffey I was with a rider who rode AZ 89 from Prescott last winter. He gushed over that perfectly twisting ribbon of road. I guess he was telling the truth!

Steve
Thank you sir. Your book has provided me with hours and hours of entertainment, enjoyment, and dreams. I specifically did CO 141 and CO 65 because you made me do it.

Best
Old 06-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #45
Deano955 OP
Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyle View Post
Glad you had a good time. Your photos were great. Wish I had gone with.
I did have a great time Dad. Thanks for having me and riding with me a couple more times. I wish you had gone with as well.

I'll do it again.