User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #31
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
What’s happened since Nakusp?

Leaving Nakusp I took the southern route to the ferry at Faqueir/Needles and followed the excellent lead of the couple on the bike to the right.

It was a great ride to breakfast together.

Then I found myself in the desert and spent the night at Cache Creek.

The next day was a great ride down the Sea to Sky Highway, past Whistler and the preparations for the 2010 Olympic Games

and some nice scenery

After the ferry from Horseshoe Bay I overnight’d in Duncan, the city of totem poles, where I got severely bitten about a dozen times by bed bugs. (The Duncan Motel for your future reference.)

On the way to the ferry at Sidney I rode through Victoria, and here’s a shot of the harbour.

THIS COMPLETES MY TRIP ACROSS CANADA FROM SIGNAL HILL NEWFOUNDLAND TO VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIA. The Canadian portion of my CIRCUM was 8,617 miles (13,865km), and took 32 riding days, some of which were ‘local’ sightseeing rides. Newfoundland/Labrador accounted for 1,885 miles (3,047km), and earned me a “Ride the Rock” decal, which I proudly display. The weather was amazing. I may have had to ride 4 or 5 days in some rain, but I don’t recall ever having to start out in serious rain and then ride all day in it. Temperatures were quite tolerable for this old Florida Cracker, never too hot or cold for the gear I had available to wear. As an add-on to my Iron Butt USA National Parks Tour I documented visits to 29 Canadian National Parks or National Historic Sites in 7 provinces on this trip. Last year I visited the Yukon. That only leaves Northwest Territories and Nunavut not visited. I think I’ll save them for another year. This year has been over the top thanks to my many Canadian friends, both new and old.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
'06/'07....What a year it was! 49 States, 5 Provinces, AND New Zealand, North and South Island
cberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:32 PM   #32
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Change in Plans

Because of the active hurricane season and the excessive heat this summer, I have decided to head home via the more direct route. That is, from Mt. Vernon, WA direct to Melbourne, FL and not via San Diego, which will be detailed in a follow-up posting. It's been 50 plus days since I've left home and I'm happy to shorten the trip. It has been long enough!

I'll be going through some interesting places along the way. Tonight I'm in Pocatello, ID, and I'm planning to be in Vernal, UT tomorrow, and then ride thru Rockie Mt. National Park. Maybe I can post some pics tomorrow.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
'06/'07....What a year it was! 49 States, 5 Provinces, AND New Zealand, North and South Island

cberry screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 12:05 PM Reason: Added reference to subsequent posts
Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #33
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It Ain't Over until its Over

Back in 2009 I started this thread and did not complete the ride for a couple of reasons, most notably the lateness of the season and the likelihood of hurricanes along the gulf coast in September. This is where I had been on that ride: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...8514e3eb&msa=0
I have been lucky enough to complete the ride this year. This is an after-the-fact ride report to tie it all up, and I'll post it over the next few days.

It starts with shipping the bike from Orlando, FL to Seattle, WA, and then meeting it and getting it out of storage.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to stay with a husband and wife team of experienced BMW riders that I had met the year before up in Nakusp, BC. They each have over 300,000 miles on BMW's and are a joy to ride with (behind). We had a couple of days before the weekend club ride, so we did warm-up rides and tourist stuff. Every good ride report includes a report on the local cuisine, and I can report that this meal was outstanding.

As a retired Submariner, I really enjoyed visiting this museum at Kitsap, WA, and telling war stories to my hosts.

One of the more beautiful sites we visited on our warm-up rides was Snoqualmie Falls, pictures here:

The club ride officially started with a breakfast in Olympia, WA and ended at Manzanita, OR.

My hosts had selected a beautiful and challenging route for the ride that day, and as we approached our destination this is what we saw:

After fellowship and a meal, the night passed quickly. The next day is the start of the rest of the journey.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 06-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #34
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Manzanita, OR, Southbound

The ride continues. Here is a Spotwalla track of it from Seattle to home. https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...253fa2ef0c6b94

After Manzanita, the first photo-op was the Cape Meares Lighthouse, a very "short" lighthouse.

Next was a busy Hang Gliding operation near Cape Lookout, OR.

I rode through the Redwoods in Northern California, awe inspiring and beautiful,

and across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Had lunch at Alice's Restaurant, where the parking lot was still draining from heavy rains,

and spent the night at the Naval Postgraduate School's restored Del Monte Hotel in Monterey, CA
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL

cberry screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 12:10 PM Reason: Change Spotwalla reference
Old 06-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #35
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Monterey Southbound

I was having some issues with my new Schuberth C3 helmet and its comm package, and one of the stops I really wanted to make was at the Schuberth offices in Aliso Viejo, CA. Unfortunately, as the trip was panning out, my arrival would have been on the weekend. I called the office and was put through to Phil Chapman, their super tech. When I explained my situation Phil immediately volunteered to come in on Saturday morning and "...see what he could do." He spent 2 hours adjusting and upgrading my helmet. A great guy! To make the Saturday schedule work out, I spent Friday night in Ventura at a beachfront hotel and Saturday night at the San Diego Naval Base.

To mark my arrival at the southwestern corner of our country I pictured the Cabrillo National Monument,

and the Point Loma Lighthouse.

This completes this portion of the ride, from Seattle to Pt. Loma, mostly along the Pacific Coast Highway. The next segment is from Pt. Loma to Carlsbad, NM. Acting on route suggestions from my friends in Seattle, that routing was changed significantly.

No bike or bike clothing issues to this point. But I did injure myself on a careless fall on the pier at Ventura Beach. A dime sized piece of skin on my right hand's small knuckle was peeled back and bled severely. I got it stopped and patched well enough to not require medical attention, but it became a continuing problem.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #36
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

San Diego to Mesa, AZ

The ride continues. Here is a Spotwalla track of it from Seattle to home. https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...253fa2ef0c6b94

Leaving the cool maritime air of San Diego for the warmer dry air of the desert was approached with some apprehension, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined...Hot, but not too hot, at first. The first night was spent at the MCAS, Yuma AZ, in a really great little town house. There were a number of them available for transient visitors. The base is first class! The best I've stayed at in recent memory.

On the way, I tried to get near the US/Mexico border when practical, and this was the first such stop at Tecate.

It was an interesting ride until I got on I-8 to Yuma and the MCAS for the night.

The next day's ride was all slab, and I picked a looser of a motel with bedbugs for the night in east Mesa, AZ. However, it was almost worth the discomfort for the spectacular ride the following day.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL

cberry screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 12:14 PM Reason: Added Spotwalla reference
Old 06-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #37
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A Great Day's Ride

Following US Rt 60 east from Mesa, AZ, I passed by or through towns like Gold Canyon, Gold Camp. and Globe on the way to Show Low. One of the finest rides I have ever experienced: mountains, canyons, cliffs, hairpins, sweepers, and twisties. The road bed reminded me of the Blue Ridge Parkway, but there was no traffic and the suggested speed limit was significantly higher than 45 MPH. It looked somewhat like the Grand Canyon, but I could ride down into it!

Check out the run-away truck ramp in the background of this picture, then see if you can find the location from the earlier Spotwalla reference.

Lunch was in the town of Show Low, AZ, with an interesting history associated with its name.

After lunch, more great riding to Springerville, AZ, on US Rt 60 where I spent the night. The next day's planned ride got significantly shortened by severe thunderstorms, but I was still able to complete another super, scenic and technical road, US Rt 191 from Springerville to Clifton, AZ. Ridden from North to South it is mostly downhill, and would have been more fun going the other direction, but, that's for the next time. Passed this gigantic copper mine along the way. One picture can not do it justice.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 06-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #38
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Clifton, AZ to Holloman AFB, Alamogordo, NM

The routing of today's ride was dictated by the possibility of thunderstorms again in the mountains. Therefore I decided to take the shorter and faster route along I 10 to Las Cruces and then along US Rt 70 to Holloman AFB. Along the way I passed the White Sands Missile Test Range and White Sands National Monument, which I visited briefly, deciding to revisit it the next morning...when it would be cooler.

Snow covered field? Cross Country Skiing? It could be. But no, its sand, pure white and very fine.

It really is snow, isn't it?
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 06-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #39
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Busman's Holiday

On this day off I did a nice circular ride from Holloman AFB up to Ruidoso, NM. Some beautiful territory.

Here's "The Old Mill", reported to be Ruidoso's birthplace

It was an easy 164 mile loop. Not exactly spectacular, but beautiful just the same.

The next day's ride (5/13) repositioned me to Carlsbad, NM, for a tour of the Caverns the day after.

On the morning of the scheduled tour of the Caverns, this is what the sky looked like.

The weather that followed was severe. All the guests and non-essential support staff at the visitors center were evacuated under the threat of lightening and flooding of the access road. Being the only biker there that morning, I refused to evacuate, and took some flack from a young employee who was overruled by a more senior person. Later in the day, after the storm had passed, the access road and the visitors center was reopened and I was able to tour a portion of the Caverns. They are, of course, magnificent and immense. I only toured a very small sample of what is there that has been opened to the public. Here's one totally inadequate sample of what I saw.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL

cberry screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 12:16 PM Reason: Removed obsolete Spotwalla reference
Old 06-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #40
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The severe weather yesterday caused me to take a room close to the Caverns last night, and today I started out without a declared destination for this evening's lodging, something I rarely do. But, doing so gave me freedom. I wanted to get closer to the US/Mexico border as the objective of the entire ride was to circumnavigate the country. So, I meandered southward along US Rt 180 to Sr 54 which became US Rt 90. It led to Marfa, TX, which was the site of many soaring contests over the years from 1967 through 2006. As a glider pilot and instructor, Marfa has been on my "Must See" list for years.

This day it (the airport) looked like just another underutilized general aviation airport. However, in the town I stumbled across this very interesting building which I chose to name the "Pink Palace".

Being still early in the day I continued on to the border town of Persidio, TX. I saw lots of Border Patrol Officers along the way all afternoon.

Staying in the USA, I followed the Rio Grande river on a very interesting road shown on the Spotwalla site as "Farm to Market 70". I was surprised at how mountainous the area was. Some folks in Marfa suggested that I spend the night in Big Bend NP at the lodge there, which I did. Beautiful setting with the lodge down in a goldfish bowl, surrounded by rugged peaks.

MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL

cberry screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 12:18 PM Reason: change Spotwalla reference
Old 06-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #41
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

5/16/2012. I had a late start from Big Bend after a good breakfast at the lodge. The plan was to go to Laughlin AFB in Del Rio, TX, for the night. The trip was pretty straightforward, US Rt 385 north from Big Bend and then US Rt 90 to my destination. No photos were taken on this leg, however, if you zoom in the satellite view from the Spotwalla link in post #40, you can clearly see the gas station at the intersection of these 2 highways. I had a conversation there with couple on a Gold Wing on their way to Alaska who were dealing with a slow leak in their rear tire. I hope they made it safely to a place where repairs could be made.

5/17/2012. Another transit day from Del Rio to Corpus Christi, TX and the Naval Air Station there. No photos. This was a ride through the Texas oil fields. Lots of construction traffic and crude oil transport. A rough, hot ride.

5/18/2012. I visited Padre Island this morning on my quest to amass visits to National Parks/Monuments. The Visitors Center was an impressive structure, but the beach was like a wilderness.

This was the furthest south point on my ride around the great state of Texas, and from here I proceeded to a suburb of San Antonio to visit with friends for a few days. This is also the end of the Spotwalla track to this point. A new link will be established for the ride from San Antonio to Key West.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
Old 06-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #42
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

5/21/2012. The ride continues. Here is a Spotwalla track of it from Seattle to home. https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...253fa2ef0c6b94

These next few days are mostly about repositioning...not much sightseeing. Today's run is from my friends' airport, Bulverde Airpark, to New Iberia, LA, stopping overnight to visit the Tabasco plant on Avery Island.

The bottling plant...

5/22/2012. Today's run took me to Pensacola Naval Air station to spend the night. On one of these trips I hope to be able to actually visit this museum.

5/23/2012. On today's run I had my first and only mechanical failure of the trip. The upper left windshield bracket casting broke. No real identifying reason. I guess its time had come. I wasn't even moving at the time. Made for a very noisy ride which motivated me to get it fixed as soon as possible. I called ahead to Ft. Myers BMW and spoke to the owner who offered to cannibalize one of his bikes if he could not get a replacement by the next day from BMW. The system came through and he had the part when I arrived at noon on 5/24/2012. A half hour later I was on my way. Much quieter!

I spent the Memorial Day Weekend with friends on Big Pine Key and we had a meal at this well known restaurant, The "No Name Pub", where there are thousands of $1 bills tacked up all over the place.

Finally, on 5/25/2012 I got to Key West and took the obligatory photo.

Now, all that remains is the trip home, to the Space Coast. The trip from Seattle to Key West was about 6,250 miles, which included some side trips. All in all, a good month's ride! One more day to go.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL

cberry screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 12:21 PM Reason: Change Spotwalla reference
Old 06-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #43
cberry OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A Tribute to IT Steve and Jim Cress

The ride home on 5/29/2012 from Big Pine Key was impacted by thunderstorms along the way, causing the track to look like it was ridden by a drunken sailor, but, despite the constant threat of rain all afternoon I didn't get hammered until within 2 miles of home. All in all, another good day's ride.

I'll try to assemble all the relevant references for the entire trip here in one place. The first is the map of part one of "The Year of the Second Circum" https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...8514e3eb&msa=0 Because of the diversion to home, the mileage for Part One of the Circum was 13,524 miles. When I picked up where I broke off, Seattle, WA, I restarted the clock, and the mileage for Part Two was 6,627, for a grand total of 20,151 miles.

The specific tracks for Part Two are recorded by Spotwalla and appear here. Earlier references have been deleted. https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...253fa2ef0c6b94

On my Panoramio Page there are additional pictures which did not make the cut for this thread http://www.panoramio.com/user/1609111

Although there probably wasn't much more than a hundred miles of dirt/gravel in the entire ride, by its very length it was still an magnificent adventure for this old sailor. Two friends who led the way for portions of The Circum in their area, IT Steve from PEI, and Jim Cress from Mt. Vernon, WA, will always live in my memory. Each of them met their Maker shortly after our ride together, both while riding their motorcycle. May they rest in peace.
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL

cberry screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 12:26 PM Reason: Update Links