ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #91
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,298
I'm still planning on it. :) BUT keep in mind, the route has to be open to be able to do it.

Now that I'm back from riding my 10k mile month (ride reports to come - rode every western state and Alaska), I'll try to put out the proposed route in GPX format by later today.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #92
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
I'm still planning on it. :) BUT keep in mind, the route has to be open to be able to do it.
Things are opening up earlier this year from my observations. Be glad to do some pre-running to verify. Looking forward to the GPX files.

More concerned with downed trees on the Lolo and Magruder than snow.

Wansfel screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 11:05 AM
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #93
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a link to a file in Google Docs for my version 1 of the ride.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bwt...DJMNVNSMUk5amc

I've made the GPX file editable, but please just download and edit it as you wish. If you would then send me a copy of your GPX file, I'll upload the latest versions.

Here's a summary:
Day 1 - Elk City, ID to Darby, MT - 125 miles - Probably camping somewhere on the NEZ Perce Trail. TBD.
Day 2 - Darby, MT to Clark, MT Reservoir - 126 miles - Includes a recommended side trip to Bannack Ghost town - some pavement
Day 3 - Clark Reservoir, MT to Gravelly Range Primitive Camping Site (very nice site) - 124 miles - Lots of gravel & scenery
Day 4 - Gravelly Range Camping to Ruby Dam Camping - 97 miles - Lots of time to enjoy the Gravelly Range Road - several additional riding options both up in the Gravelly Range and south of Ruby Dam.
Day 5 - Ruby Dam to US93 south of LOLO - 214 Miles - Unfortunately this is pavement day in order to transition us back to the Lolo Motorway
Day 6 - Lolo, MT to Pierce, ID - 171 miles - Lots of great riding on the LOLO Motorway. We may have to split this into an additional day.

I trust this route will work for those who have expressed interest in doing the ride. Thanks for your patience in waiting for the proposed route.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 06-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #94
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 961
Tim,

Here is my version of the 2012 Best of MT1K Ver rh1.gpx . I have added several potential alternate routes to consider along US 12 west of Lolo to get off pavements. These are mostly based on actual tracks from this past year. All big bike friendly.

I also added a couple of manufactured alternate routes for Day 5 for less pavement and pickup some really great paved sections such as the Scenic Byway from Polaris to Wise River. If you haven't been on that stretch, it is a must. It is paved but little traffic and I think the alternate I added might cut some miles. I am guessing using Mapsource for the stretch from Ruby res to Dillon, perhaps someone from that region could verify.

Likewise I highly recommend the Elk Meadow to Lolo Pass alternate section for Day 6 - really stunning scenery and it is big bike friendly. (Based on actual tracks).

There are dirt routes from Hamilton (or Sula) all the way south to near the Big Hole Battlefield which I have been on, but do not have accurate tracks or routes (but that could change).

Would also suggest getting off US 93 at Hamilton and taking the "Eastside Highway" up the Bitterroot Valley to Florence. Much more scenic and gets off the four lane for 30 miles or so.

Ron
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #95
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ron,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. There's nothing like local knowledge to help in the planning.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Tim,

Here is my version of the 2012 Best of MT1K Ver rh1.gpx . I have added several potential alternate routes to consider along US 12 west of Lolo to get off pavements. These are mostly based on actual tracks from this past year. All big bike friendly.

I also added a couple of manufactured alternate routes for Day 5 for less pavement and pickup some really great paved sections such as the Scenic Byway from Polaris to Wise River. If you haven't been on that stretch, it is a must. It is paved but little traffic and I think the alternate I added might cut some miles. I am guessing using Mapsource for the stretch from Ruby res to Dillon, perhaps someone from that region could verify.

Likewise I highly recommend the Elk Meadow to Lolo Pass alternate section for Day 6 - really stunning scenery and it is big bike friendly. (Based on actual tracks).

There are dirt routes from Hamilton (or Sula) all the way south to near the Big Hole Battlefield which I have been on, but do not have accurate tracks or routes (but that could change).

Would also suggest getting off US 93 at Hamilton and taking the "Eastside Highway" up the Bitterroot Valley to Florence. Much more scenic and gets off the four lane for 30 miles or so.

Ron
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #96
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
Here's a link to a file in Google Docs for my version 1 of the ride.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bwt...DJMNVNSMUk5amc

I've made the GPX file editable, but please just download and edit it as you wish. If you would then send me a copy of your GPX file, I'll upload the latest versions.

Here's a summary:
Day 1 - Elk City, ID to Darby, MT - 125 miles - Probably camping somewhere on the NEZ Perce Trail. TBD.
Day 2 - Darby, MT to Clark, MT Reservoir - 126 miles - Includes a recommended side trip to Bannack Ghost town - some pavement
Day 3 - Clark Reservoir, MT to Gravelly Range Primitive Camping Site (very nice site) - 124 miles - Lots of gravel & scenery
Day 4 - Gravelly Range Camping to Ruby Dam Camping - 97 miles - Lots of time to enjoy the Gravelly Range Road - several additional riding options both up in the Gravelly Range and south of Ruby Dam.
Day 5 - Ruby Dam to US93 south of LOLO - 214 Miles - Unfortunately this is pavement day in order to transition us back to the Lolo Motorway
Day 6 - Lolo, MT to Pierce, ID - 171 miles - Lots of great riding on the LOLO Motorway. We may have to split this into an additional day.

I trust this route will work for those who have expressed interest in doing the ride. Thanks for your patience in waiting for the proposed route.
Thanks for taking the time to put all this together. I understand how much work can be involved. Can't wait!

You ROCK

Ditton for Wansfel-I was typing when you posted.

Do either of you have any links to RRs on the Montana sections? Just something to whet the appitite!

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 06-04-2012 at 08:55 PM
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #97
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Tim,

Ron
Ron,

I really like your suggestions. For the day 6 alternate, it will certainly add an extra day to be able to off the pavement for the proposed route. I met someone at Lochsa lodge a few years ago who did that proposed section, but I had forgotten about it.

I took the Eastside Highway last year and really liked it. I'll add that segment as well.

I'll wait for a few days before publishing the next version.

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #98
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Pic from Burnt Knob Lookout, Magruder Corridor. Lots of fires over the past few years, but still an awesome spot.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #99
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
Now that we're getting closer, who's still in on this ride?
I'm still planning on it!

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #100
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,472
I might provide an early scouting report....
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #101
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,632
Timmer,

My wife Annie (Spousal Unit) and I met you in Hyder ten or so days ago. We live near Helena but are new to the area having just moved there from Alaska in October. My conversation with you about this ride has us ready to forgo the MOA rally this year and make this ride to learn about our new home and meet some local inmates. We are still riding up north and will be until early July, but we'll have time to take a deep breath and grab our other bikes and head to Idaho. Thanks for doing all the hard-work to make this happen. I've scanned the entire thread, but want to confirm that the start date is still July 22nd.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #102
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
Timmer,

My wife Annie (Spousal Unit) and I met you in Hyder ten or so days ago. We live near Helena but are new to the area having just moved there from Alaska in October. My conversation with you about this ride has us ready to forgo the MOA rally this year and make this ride to learn about our new home and meet some local inmates. We are still riding up north and will be until early July, but we'll have time to take a deep breath and grab our other bikes and head to Idaho. Thanks for doing all the hard-work to make this happen. I've scanned the entire thread, but want to confirm that the start date is still July 22nd.
Kevin, Yes I remember you. We had a great ride home from Hyder via Kelowna.

The start date is Sunday 7/22 at 8am from the cafe/gas station in Elk City Idaho. I'll be arriving the day before and probably camping somewhere nearby. There is a hotel in Elk City if one is inclined that direction. As the date gets closer I'll be confirming with the forest service offices that the route is open. Any inmates who want to pre-ride all or part of it are certainly encouraged to do so. The Gravelly Range section is the highest at over 8k feet, and if it's still closed, there is a work-around that goes up to Ruby Dam west of the planned route.

There are a number of inmates in the MT local area who can provide you some great riding opportunities. I also have all of the routes/tracks from the two previous MT1000 rides. I think you'll really enjoy riding in your new "home" state rather than sweating it out in the muggy heat of Missouri in July.

For anyone else who's been following this thread, please check in and indicate whether you'll be joining us. A number of inmates have spoken to me at events indicating interest and others have already weighed in. We'll certainly not be riding in one huge group, but natural groups will form up and hopefully we can camp together in the evenings. The Gravelly Range campsite is one not be be missed. Pictures of it are in the photos from the 2011 Montana 1000 ride.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Old 06-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #103
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,632
Okay, we are in.

What is the food situation? Should we plan to carry enough to make it thru the entire event or are there places to eat along the way?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #104
Timmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
Okay, we are in.

What is the food situation? Should we plan to carry enough to make it thru the entire event or are there places to eat along the way?
There will be places to purchase food and refuel each day. You may want to consider carrying one freeze-dried meal as a backup.
Be sure to bring ample containers for water or water treatment items. I'll be bringing a water treatment kit. At at least one location (the Gravelly Range campsite, there is no nearby water.

Depending upon timing, we may even eat a meal or two in towns. But that'll be totally up to the riders.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100

Timmer screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 09:56 PM
Old 06-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #105
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,861
I subscribed to this thread, even knowing I can't go. I'm stuck with weekenders for the summer . But, I'm planning on downloading the route (or both routes posted so far). I'm also sticking around for the pics.

sector is offline   Reply With Quote