Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #151
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittonb View Post

I strapped the tire up, tube inside, set the valve stem in the hole, secured the nut and started pushing. First try, no way. Realized I could tighten the tire more, until side walls actually touched, making sure tube wasn't pinched and tried again.

Better but still not there, then wife came out and I had her hold tire down and it went on. Wasn't easy, but it wasn't hard either. Now mind you a day before 3 of us couldn't get it to go on. Is this a 1 man job? Probably can be if needed but it does work!!! Yes even with tubed tires.
Next time, use another strap and lash the tire into the rim dropout.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #152
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
A new question in an old thread....

Would the "waterless" hand cleaner goop that comes in small tubs be OK to use as a bead lubricant? Looks to me like it's almost identical to the tire bead paste they sell for a whole lot more.

EDIT: The term "waterless" is misleading. Waterless refers to using it to clean hands without the use of water. The main ingredient on the can is water, but it also contains petroleum distillates, nonoxynol-6 (anti-bacterial, I think), triethanol amine, carbomer, magnesium aluminum silicate, and lanolin. Basically, a gelatinous soap...
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

Badjuju screwed with this post 07-02-2012 at 01:18 PM
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #153
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,586
So...the consensus so far is that this really works, eh? I can have tires mounted for $20...is it worth doing it this way?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #154
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,491
looks pretty neat
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #155
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Would the "waterless" hand cleaner goop that comes in small tubs be OK to use as a bead lubricant?
I think it would work, as does ordinary dish soap or shampoo even. Almost anything slippery works, but for regular use I purchased a jug of RuGlyde from Napa--it is a rubber lubricant designed for this job. Cheap enough though I suspect it is nothing more than dish detergent and water.

Quote:
So...the consensus so far is that this really works, eh? I can have tires mounted for $20...is it worth doing it this way?
That's a lot cheaper than most of us can get tires done for. I have mounted a half-dozen tires using the strap method and it does work and is reasonable easy to do. The time is in taking off the wheels, putting everything back together, etc. I have some Stubby Tire tools too, which don't mar your rims when you're taking off the old tire.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #156
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I have an even better trick. If I remove the wheel, any of the local tire shops will swap tires for two bucks. Being the super nice guy that I am, I generally tip another fifty cents.
If I drive the bike to a dealer and buy new tires, they do the entire job (front and rear) for $15
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #157
calfinm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Ive got to put a big in for this Poolside.. I just put a rear Kenda 761 (tubed) on trying this..a combination of a b@@%%d head cold, general haste, and a few shots of vodka to help me a long and I with a fair amount of struggling got it on...backwards
Spooning it off I'm convinced its the stiffest sidewall that Ive ever had the misfortune to encounter.

Round 2 and a bit more lube, taking my time and it just literately slid on to the rim ..couldn't believe it..

Cheers!
calfinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #158
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Thanks very much! tried this for the first time today and it worked great, mounted a 150/70 tire with a tube very easily, Rather than lashing straps I used six 24" cable ties and they worked great, got a bag of 8 for $5- FWIW they can be reused too, it is easy to lift the locking tab with a small screwdriver and undo them. Bought a gallon of Ruglyde from Napa per suggestions here and it does seem better than straight soapy water...the tire went on so easily I probably could have not used lubricant but like to anyway since it makes the bead seat much easier.

victor441 screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 08:23 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #159
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,607

Boy, I haven't checked in here for a while. Thanks for the kudos folks!
I'm glad many of you found this tire mounting method useful. Cheers!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #160
Kaanan
Knee deep in snow.

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I applaud your innovation for its own sake...that's pretty cool. But if you you know how to use tire irons, it's pretty fuss free, too, and you can use the irons to get the tire off again, too.
I'm no expert, I've probably changed 10 tires in my few years with a motorcycle. But I on average pinch 1 tube for every other tire I change. The cost adds up quick, especially when I was 23, newly married and the only one working. I wish I knew about this trick years ago!
Kaanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #161
Kaanan
Knee deep in snow.

Did I mention I ride a KLR! I am not as cheap as a lot of other people I meet on the road with them, but pinching a tube is a biuzzkill.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #162
Kaanan
Knee deep in snow.

I still feel the need to defend myself.

The last tire I tried to mount was a Duro 904. I wrestled with it for an hour, pinching two tubes in the process. I realized I was in over my head, so I brought it in to the motorcycle shop down the road.

The guy working has been a mechanic for 10+ years, we are on a first name basis since I've brought my bike there for other things/see him around Milwaukee for different motorcycle events.

We were talking as he put the tire on, I saw him pinch 3 tubes! It scared the shit out of me. But the walls were so stiff! I was hoping I was doing something wrong with my shitty studebaker tire irons. It makes me nervous to think I could be stranded somewhere and pinch the only spare tube I have on me.