Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #136
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post

Thank you Ricky! I was meaning to ask, how is married life treating you? Good I'm sure.

Jim you are more than welcome, you have it well deserve.

Marriage... Well imagine sharing your days with somebody that is 10times more geek than you are, But at the same time is totally down to Earth, consider, supportive, fun and super gentle, In short it does not get much better than this.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #137
Schiben
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
WOW! I'm liking this. I'll have to try this next time I have to change my tires. All I have to do now is make a balancer.
Schiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #138
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schiben View Post
WOW! I'm liking this. I'll have to try this next time I have to change my tires. All I have to do now is make a balancer.
Dynabeeds work great, and are reusable..

I might be wrong, just ask my X...
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #139
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
don't mean to bump an old thread... but i used this method today and it worked GREAT!!! My pilot road 2s slipped on with just a bit of lube and some finesse!

Topped it off with some dynabeads and the old bandit is happy as can be
jcmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #140
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 909
I only tried in once so far but I could not get it to work.
Maybe if it was dark out and there was a dog barking...
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #141
geobum
n00b

Oddometer: 1
It WORKS! Tube or Tubeless!

OK...so this may be the most brilliant mechanical trick I've ever seen! I have had some MAJOR challenges trying to mount a new tire to my BMW 650 Dakar rear rim. Reading the posts on various forums this seems to be a substantial challenge for every Dakar owner I've come across, so when I saw this post for mounting the tubeless tire without tools, I figured I had to give it a try myself...even though I'm mounting a tire with a tube.

And it worked! Brilliantly! Admittedly I modified the procedure slightly to deal with the tube, but it works nonetheless.

A few details for those who might be interested:
1) The tube has to go in first... (this sort of goes without saying). Make sure to leave the valve stem sticking out though. I put my first strap on very close to the valve stem to make sure it was tight.

2) When you push the beads together and strap them tight, make sure you have pushed the tube back up into the tire...otherwise you may risk a pinch. You will probably have to let some air out of the tube to do this.

3) Lube. Yes I know that it can be done without lube for the tubeless tire, but I wasn't taking any chances. (I've already destroyed one tire trying to mount it to that blasted rim!!!) I went down to my local car tire shop and begged them for a dollop of their Rema Tip Top tire mounting paste (it is only sold in huge buckets...and I couldn't find them locally). I smeared the paste liberally on the rim edge and the tire beads (both sides) and added water to make sure it was nice and slick.

4) When mounting the tire, start with the valve stem edge first. You may need to grab a flat head screwdriver to help guide the stem to the hole in the rim, but it isn't all that difficult. When you get the valve stem through the hole, put a nut on it to keep it from slipping back out.

5) Now just push the tire on. Add more water to keep things slick and work both sides of the tire evenly as you would a normal tire installation. Make sure you keep an eye on the tire down where you started and keep it pushed down toward the drop center of the rim.

6) And just like the photos on the posting, one last push and the tire popped on smooth as can be.

Thanks again my friend for this brilliant idea! It works like a dream and saved me much pain, blood and the nearly endless stream of profanity that ensued from my previous battle with this rim!! You have my vote for a special AdvRider contribution award.
geobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #142
unklbrad
n00b

Oddometer: 1
ATV tires, too?

Would you expect this to work on ATV tires, too? The cheap tire mounting guys around here went bust a couple years ago with the Ford dealership, and the ATV dealer who quoted me wants like $40/tire if I don't buy the tires from him.

What is the best way to remove near-new stock tires from the rim if I want to put them on Craigslist for cheap?

Another tip I have used: if you have trouble getting a bead to seat on the rim, try wrapping a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire and tighten until the bead is pushed outward to the rim.
unklbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #143
bluecrab

Oddometer: 7
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU!

After an hour of utter frustration changing the front tire on my Ducati Monster, I'm was not looking forward to changing the tires on my FJR. But after seeing this technique, I can't wait to give it a try! I have two shiny new Michelin PR2's just waiting to be installed on the Yamaha and now I'm looking forward to doing the job. Just need to run by Harbor Freight to pick up the straps! :-)
Old 10-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #144
robvann
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Totally brilliant. I used six zip ties in place of straps and cut them after the tire slipped on the rim. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #145
Air_Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by robvann View Post
Totally brilliant. I used six zip ties in place of straps and cut them after the tire slipped on the rim. Thanks for the tip.
Saw this thread today after a few hours of frustration trying to mount new Distanzias on my DRZ 17" SM rims. Went to HF and picked up the straps for $2 per pair, came home and tried it. It worked great even with the tubes.

Thanks!
'08 Triumph Sprint ST
'03 Suzuki DL1000, '03 Triumph Sprint ST
Air_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #146
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,343
I'm happy to hear that this trick is working well for so many people. Time to go buy some straps and stop paying the punk "mechanic" kid to scratch all the paint off my wheels.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #147
fishallnight
Fishallnight

Oddometer: 42
Bump! I tried it too and it works perfectly!!

I had a new set of Kenda's to put on my Strom and decided to try the ziptie method and it works great! I used spoons before and scraatched my rims and took about 20 minutes each tire to get them mounted. I watched the youtube video then bought some big zipties and windex. I zipped the beads together with 6 of the ties, sprayed everything down with windex and about 2 minutes later it was done! Just gotta be sure to get the beads down in the groove of the rim. I did have my wheel sitting on a box made from 2x4's to keep the brake discs off the ground, and finished putting the last part on by stepping on it. But it beats the CRAP out of using those spoons!

Thank you to whoever came up with this method!!!!
fishallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #148
ScEd
Dances with Deer

Oddometer: 284
I've enjoyed this thread and some of the evolution of techniques and spins on a great idea.
I have some 150# Ty-Wraps, 20" or so long with a a small tab that allows you to release the Ty-wrap and re-use it. When tightened with a tool it will pull the tire bead all the way in on the stiffest tire.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #149
sittonb
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Picked up a set of Kenda's for my F800GS. Front went on using traditional irons, cussing etc. The rear was another story, no way. Even using a manual tire changing stand and 3 adults, no way.
Saw this thread and thought what the heck, as I have 9 1" straps that I use as tie downs, btw all BMW motorcycles come from the factory tied to the crates with these straps, so they are pretty cheap to come by. I strapped the tire up, tube inside, set the valve stem in the hole, secured the nut and started pushing.
First try, no way. Realized I could tighten the tire more, untill side walls actually touched, making sure tube wasn't pinched and tried again.
Better but still not there, then wife came out and I had her hold tire down and it went on. Wasn't easy, but it wasn't hard either.
Now mind you a day before 3 of us couldn't get it to go on. Is this a 1 man job? Probably can be if needed but it does work!!! Yes even with tubed tires.
sittonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #150
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittonb View Post

I strapped the tire up, tube inside, set the valve stem in the hole, secured the nut and started pushing. First try, no way. Realized I could tighten the tire more, until side walls actually touched, making sure tube wasn't pinched and tried again.

Better but still not there, then wife came out and I had her hold tire down and it went on. Wasn't easy, but it wasn't hard either. Now mind you a day before 3 of us couldn't get it to go on. Is this a 1 man job? Probably can be if needed but it does work!!! Yes even with tubed tires.
Next time, use another strap and lash the tire into the rim dropout.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote