User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #61
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Costa Rica since 2009

Just found this interesting thread, so I thought I'd add my story too. I moved to Costa Rica over 3 years ago, coming from Toronto, Canada. At the time, my wife and I had decided to go abroad, and I had to choose between 2 opportunities: France or Costa Rica. Easy choice for me: the more South, the better! So I accepted this job in CR, even if I had never set foot down here before (or in Central/South America). Just knowing that I would not have to shovel snow and scraped the ice off my car in the morning winters, was enough for me!

Besides the amazing landscapes and wildlife, the "Pura Vida" lifestyle, the gallo pinto, and the ticas , I think the main reason why I love this place so much, and now call "home", is that I discovered the adventure motorcycle riding here. You see, before I moved here, I *always* wanted to get a motorcycle, but never could rationalize the cost for the short summer we have in Canada. But thanks to a good friend of mine, who was an avid rider back in BC,Canada before he moved to CR at the same time I did, he convinced me over a few beers to get my first bike in 20+ years : so I ended up with a F650GS Dakar . Since then, I'm totally hooked!!! I've now upgraded to a R1200GS, and ride on a daily basis all year around.

Chiriqui Charlie
: if you haven't crossed over in CR yet, you should look into it. There are more places to go here than Panama imoo, though I have been down there only a couple of times. My riding buddy relocated there about 6 months ago. He likes the city - go figure!

Bananaman: I've read some of your postings with great interest! (eg. "Drowned in a river near San Blas, Panama") Funny enough, I was getting some gear at Dual Sport Plus (Ontario,Canada), and the guys knew you. Small world it is. I might ride down to Panama in the last week of June to see my buddy in PC. Let me know if you fancy a beer.

Kamuk: I agree 100% with your philosophy of adapting and immersing in the local culture when moving to another country. I might not be fluent in Spanish yet, but I do make the effort of speaking when I go to the grocery store, or ask for directions. How long have you been living in CR?

Well, that should be enough for my first post on ADVRider!
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:19 AM   #62
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,980
QC= Queen's Counsel?

QC, you didn't happen to see a late model, black, convertible, Corvette with Ontario plates in your area last January or February, did you?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #63
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
QC = Quebec City (nothing to do with the Queen! lol!)

My usual alias was already taken, so had to come up with something else...

Nope, don't recall seeing a vette with ON plates here in CR.
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #64
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe de Caribe View Post

One bit of advice: if you plan an expat escape, plan on DOING something productive with your time, and make an effort to learn the language and adopt most of the culture (sorry, I tried boiled platanos; still taste like beige-gray Crayolas to me...but I tried, really tried). That way you'll be using your brain and becoming part of the scene.
I fully agree with this!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #65
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britsabroad View Post

An expatriate (in abbreviated form, expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing. The word comes from the Latin terms ex ("out of") and patria ("country, fatherland").

An Immigrant a person who has emmigrated from his or her country of birth.

Immigration (derived from Latin: migratio) is the act of foreigners passing or coming into a country for the purpose of permanent residence. Immigration is made for many reasons, including economic, political, family re-unification, natural disaster, poverty or the wish to change one's surroundings voluntarily.

Does this qualify me for the position of Chief Cunning Linguist!?!
It's worth noting that even if you became an immigrant, you're still an "expat" You only stop being an expat when you go back to your home country. In Saudi, we had another term. If you went home, then came back later for another tour, you were a "retread"
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote