Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Oldbear OP
Don't want a pickle

Oddometer: 202
Ortlieb Moto Tank Bag

Ortlieb came out with a new tank bag this year: http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang...t=moto_tankbag

Couldn't find much information about the bag anywhere when I was shopping for one but I ended up buying one anyway since I needed a truly waterproof tank bag (not just water resistant).

Well, since I couldn't find any photos of the bag mounted on a motorcycle or any first-hand impressions I thought I'd come up with some. Hopefully they'll be of use to someone.

The bag has a volume of approximately 18 liters and it comes with a base that has magnets in five mounting points for metallic tanks. You also get straps for motorcycles with no metallic mounting points.

I ended up attaching the front with magnets (I mounted some rare earth magnets under the plastic side covers) and the rear with straps.

The tank bag connects to the base with four buckles.

At the bottom of the bag you have a waterproof TIZIP zipper.

You also have mounting points for extra equipment going round the whole bag. The buckles you see in the middle of the bag are for a waterproog map window (which is included with the bag) which mounts on top of the bag.

The bottom of the bag is totally smooth.

On top of the bag you have a carrying handle and buckles for mounting a shoulder strap (included) or a backbag carrying system (which is sold separately). [EDIT: after further inspection I found out that the backpack carrying system mounts to the side buckles, not the top ones]

The top opens like a typical drybag.

The bag can also be used as a tailbag. Two short straps are included for attaching the bag to a rear rack or the rear seat.

After a few hundred miles with the bag I have to say I'm quite satisfied with the design so far. The zipper is really handy to get small stuff out of the bag while sitting on the bike and it's still 100 percent waterproof.
Mounting the bag is quick enough with the four buckles and the base seems to keep the bag in place in the rougher stuff as well. You can also adjust the size of the bag to some degree with the straps depending on the amount of stuff you have inside.

Only complaint so far is the dark inner colour (WHY is it so hard to use a brighter colour on the inside?) which means it can be hard to find small stuff from the bag. And of course there is the Ortlieb price premium which can be sometimes hard to swallow.

Oldbear screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 11:17 PM
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote