ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #2356
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe
 
OhioPT's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Columbiana County, OH
Oddometer: 1,076
I personally know 2 guys who have the Fisher seats on their Bergs, and one guy who has the seat on his '11 GG EC300, and they are all happy customers. Price is about the same as the Seat Concepts if you send the seat out for the labor. The SC uses an all new cover, whereas the Fisher adds material to the stock cover.
__________________
Mark
'11 KTM 250 XC (dual sported)
'05 KTM 450 EXC (dual sported)
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #2357
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer
 
ram1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Tricities Washington
Oddometer: 1,801
Can the 390 Berg be licensed in Oregon? The closest dealer in Boise didn't know. He says the 570 comes complete but the 390 has to have signals and stuff added.
Thanks
__________________
A good adventure bike will get you to where you wish you had a good dirt bike! (and back)
:2014 XC800 :2012 WR450
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:41 AM   #2358
HighFive
Never Tap-Out
 
HighFive's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Okiehoma
Oddometer: 2,605
Spent a few days of high altitude exploring this past weekend in the Rockies near Taos, NM.





I was anxious to test my 390 above 10,000 ft. elevation, see how it performed. Made it past 12,000 ft a good bit.





Its a bit risky to explore so far into the wilderness completely unsupported......but I like it. A real free feeling!



Was not without some tension.....like when I got swallowed by this cloud as it passed over me. I stopped, dismounted, and threw a rock up into it, as soared by me. But, I never saw the rock come back down! I kid you not. That was weird.

Found my new campsite way above the bug line:





Now....about the performance:

My 390 definitely felt down on power compared to Rancho Highfive at 700 ft. elevation. That was somewhat expected, even with the fuel injection. However, I still had plenty of power to do the job any way I pleased.....when the bike was running. But I can sure see why the Rocky residents would opt for the 570 instead.

LOST....listen up! First day out, my bike would not restart after shutting off. This began occurring after some lengthy...heated....long steep climbs. Felt like it was flooding out (at first). Then, maybe starving of fuel....I donno. After dinking around with it staring....probing...wiggling.....praying, she restarted and seem to run fine. Until the next time I shut it off. Repeat same scenario....over and over. Seemed it would restart after about 15 minutes of rest (and cooling). Sound familiar?

I incubated on this problem in my hammock overnight. Then, had my "Ah-Ha" moment. I took off the gas cap, turned it over, disassembled, and removed the stainless steel "check ball" in the vent. I know.....I know....many have said to "take that thingy out of there pronto". Well, I had never had a problem with it at home (below 1,000 ft. above sea level). I typically don't mess with something until it causes a problem.

Guess what? THEY were right. Remove and throw that little ball bearing as far away as you can. And, just stop falling down.....no more worries.

Here's the deal: At high altitude, under heavy work, the fuel was boiling (even with the CYBORG DEI mod on my tank). Apparently, the excess vapor was pressurizing the tank enough to lift that steel ball bearing and block the hole. The tank appeared to be vapor locking and/or over-pressuring which was definitely affecting the fuel flow/pumping action. Either the bike was starving of fuel or flooding with fuel.....it was hard to tell, exactly. I think starving.

After removing this check-ball, the problem was completely solved! I never had the issue reoccur....even during periods when I could hear the fuel boiling furiously inside my tank (upon shutting the bike off). This...when above 12,000 ft. It would fire right back up, on demand, every time.

The symptoms appeared to be clogged fuel injector.....clogged fuel line/filter.....failing fuel pump, when in reality, it was simply locking up the tank vent.

So, my question to LOST is: Have you removed the check-ball in your fuel tank cap?

HF
__________________
'13 Husky TR650 Terra, '11 Husaberg FE390, '10 BMW F800GS, '71 Honda CL70
Terra-izing the CDR Bergs Over the Rainbow Texas or Bust!
Rocky Mountain HighFive The Other Side of Nowhere
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #2359
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 4,935
Good report HF, and nice pix!

The DEI is not magic, but it helps probably as well as the blanket and it's thinnner, takes less room and won't fall apart from taking tank on and off. After I ceramic coated the pipe, I have not heard any boiling of fuel at all even in slow, 1st & 2nd gear uphill rough climbing at 8-9K elevation with the fan running almost continuously. Of course my 390 has no fuel venting problems because of the 70degree sub tank. It has it's own large vent that also helps the main tank in odd pressure/vacuum situations. LOST has the subtank too IIRC so should not have that problem.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #2360
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider
 
GalacticGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Camas, WA
Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1000 View Post
Can the 390 Berg be licensed in Oregon? The closest dealer in Boise didn't know. He says the 570 comes complete but the 390 has to have signals and stuff added.
Thanks
Check with Rick Bozarth at (503) 255-8971. He's the Berg specialist in Portland, and I'm sure can fill you in on plating the 390.
__________________
Larry
2006 R1200GS; 2009 Husaberg Rally 570; 2011 Husaberg FE570
www.galacticgs.com
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #2361
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
I haven't but have been eyeing them for months !

Let us know how you like it if you go that route.
I have a Renazco and pretty happy with that, but I thought I'd toss out the seat link since I spotted it and it looked pretty good.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #2362
HighFive
Never Tap-Out
 
HighFive's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Okiehoma
Oddometer: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Good report HF, and nice pix!

LOST has the subtank too IIRC so should not have that problem.
Ok.....could it be possible he has a pinched, kinked, or blocked vent hose? His symptoms appear to be very similar to mine. Just a thought.

HF
__________________
'13 Husky TR650 Terra, '11 Husaberg FE390, '10 BMW F800GS, '71 Honda CL70
Terra-izing the CDR Bergs Over the Rainbow Texas or Bust!
Rocky Mountain HighFive The Other Side of Nowhere
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #2363
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer
 
Florida Lime's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: As stated, and as often as possible -R'ville, N.C.
Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I also wanted a higher bar position and a bit more dampening of the bars for my wrists but didn't want to use Flexx bars this time. I spotted a new shock absorber mount from BRP so I got this bundle and installed it, along with the BRP Hand Guard Mounts, which weigh the same as the Cycra clamps and bar clamps they replace, but more rugged.
cyborg - could you show a photo of the submount set-up from directly above the triple clamp, and of one directly in line with the top of the adjustment knobs ?

I have the HDB handguard set-up now, and was curious of the clearances to see if I could keep the HDB top clamp AND run the same "bundle".
__________________
'10 Husaberg FE570
'10 BMW R1200GSA "30th anniversary edition"
'08 KTM 950SE-R -- GOING, GOING, GONE
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.

Florida Lime screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 09:47 PM Reason: cleaned up
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #2364
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Cyborg,

I have a 570 and have been thinking about getting the BRP rubber submount for the Scotts stabilizer but have not seen any reviews. Have you ridden it enough to say whether it significantly reduces vibration or hack and whether it is comparable to Flexx bars? I am actually thinking of using both the rubber submount and Flexx bars but would be happy to just use the submount and save a few $'s.
Thanks for any input
JayG, just put it on and haven't put it to the real test yet. I plan to go riding offroad this weekend so I should know after that. I've owned Flexx bars before and they are very nice but bulky. I don't expect to get quite as much shock absorption from the BRP setup, but not sure about that yet until I try it.


Florida Lime, do these pictures help?



cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #2365
ffr2370
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ffr2370's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: South Main Divide
Oddometer: 128
I added the poly mount from BRP. Seems to soften the sharp Zing you feel when hitting sharp edges or rocks. The pain in my forearms and numbness in my hands is better, but it is still more of an issue than I have had with other bikes. As mentioned it uses the rear mount hole location on the TC, not the direction I wanted to go for standing comfort but not too big a problem.
ffr2370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #2366
ffr2370
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ffr2370's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: South Main Divide
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Spent a few days of high altitude exploring this past weekend in the Rockies near Taos, NM.





I was anxious to test my 390 above 10,000 ft. elevation, see how it performed. Made it past 12,000 ft a good bit.





Its a bit risky to explore so far into the wilderness completely unsupported......but I like it. A real free feeling!



Was not without some tension.....like when I got swallowed by this cloud as it passed over me. I stopped, dismounted, and threw a rock up into it, as soared by me. But, I never saw the rock come back down! I kid you not. That was weird.

Found my new campsite way above the bug line:





Now....about the performance:

My 390 definitely felt down on power compared to Rancho Highfive at 700 ft. elevation. That was somewhat expected, even with the fuel injection. However, I still had plenty of power to do the job any way I pleased.....when the bike was running. But I can sure see why the Rocky residents would opt for the 570 instead.

LOST....listen up! First day out, my bike would not restart after shutting off. This began occurring after some lengthy...heated....long steep climbs. Felt like it was flooding out (at first). Then, maybe starving of fuel....I donno. After dinking around with it staring....probing...wiggling.....praying, she restarted and seem to run fine. Until the next time I shut it off. Repeat same scenario....over and over. Seemed it would restart after about 15 minutes of rest (and cooling). Sound familiar?

I incubated on this problem in my hammock overnight. Then, had my "Ah-Ha" moment. I took off the gas cap, turned it over, disassembled, and removed the stainless steel "check ball" in the vent. I know.....I know....many have said to "take that thingy out of there pronto". Well, I had never had a problem with it at home (below 1,000 ft. above sea level). I typically don't mess with something until it causes a problem.

Guess what? THEY were right. Remove and throw that little ball bearing as far away as you can. And, just stop falling down.....no more worries.

Here's the deal: At high altitude, under heavy work, the fuel was boiling (even with the CYBORG DEI mod on my tank). Apparently, the excess vapor was pressurizing the tank enough to lift that steel ball bearing and block the hole. The tank appeared to be vapor locking and/or over-pressuring which was definitely affecting the fuel flow/pumping action. Either the bike was starving of fuel or flooding with fuel.....it was hard to tell, exactly. I think starving.

After removing this check-ball, the problem was completely solved! I never had the issue reoccur....even during periods when I could hear the fuel boiling furiously inside my tank (upon shutting the bike off). This...when above 12,000 ft. It would fire right back up, on demand, every time.

The symptoms appeared to be clogged fuel injector.....clogged fuel line/filter.....failing fuel pump, when in reality, it was simply locking up the tank vent.

So, my question to LOST is: Have you removed the check-ball in your fuel tank cap?

HF
After almost 100 hours I have not had any of these issues, no boiling, injector or filters clogs. I have seen that if after running if I shut off using the red rocker switch near the throttle AND not turn off the power at the key switch, then let it sit like this for 10 or 15 minutes that it will not restart unless I cycle the main power at the key switch. While this is happening I have noticed a few flashes from the EFI light.
ffr2370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #2367
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer
 
Florida Lime's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: As stated, and as often as possible -R'ville, N.C.
Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Florida Lime, do these pictures help?




Exactly what I needed !

Thanks for your help.
__________________
'10 Husaberg FE570
'10 BMW R1200GSA "30th anniversary edition"
'08 KTM 950SE-R -- GOING, GOING, GONE
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #2368
HighFive
Never Tap-Out
 
HighFive's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Okiehoma
Oddometer: 2,605
Uhmmmm Cyborg, nice work on the anti-vibe thingy-ma-jiggers. But......

I ain't got no vibes on my 390 at all. At least none to squabble over. Vibes are nearly non-existent on this bike.

Why did you need to anti-vibe your bars? Are you just that bored?

HF
__________________
'13 Husky TR650 Terra, '11 Husaberg FE390, '10 BMW F800GS, '71 Honda CL70
Terra-izing the CDR Bergs Over the Rainbow Texas or Bust!
Rocky Mountain HighFive The Other Side of Nowhere
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #2369
Cruz
Lost but laughing.
 
Cruz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northside Brisbane, Qld Australia
Oddometer: 5,626
Same here HF, no vibes to consider on my 390, though the 450 and 570 do have slightly more.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #2370
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Uhmmmm Cyborg, nice work on the anti-vibe thingy-ma-jiggers. But......

I ain't got no vibes on my 390 at all. At least none to squabble over. Vibes are nearly non-existent on this bike.

Why did you need to anti-vibe your bars? Are you just that bored?

HF
HF, smooth road/trail cruising vibes are very low on the FE 390, like you said almost non-existent like a lot of 400's and that's really nice.

I added dampening for all the sharp-edged rocks gardens I get to 'experience' riding in WA. Long stretches of baby-heads and lots of rock step-ups, rocky trails, and zillions of log/root crossings and the 'ol wrists start complaining a bit (both my wrists have been broken in the past, one twice). The Flexx bars really helped on a long day of riding on my RXV550, but I wanted to try a different system this time on the Berg. I'll report back when I've tried this system on hard riding.

I have my suspension on "Comfort" settings when I do the rocky stuff and no complaints about the suspension in general. The bar dampener should cut the "zing" of sharp edge hits, as was mentioned earlier. I hope so.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014