Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #61
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
That kid is a member of another forum I'm on.

Also, I think it took a big pair of balls to put the video up unedited with his screaming and what not. But that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony253 View Post
So this was not one of my best days.

I was out riding (Not wearing proper gear : damn: ) and a deer made the not so smart decision of jumping out in front of me. I didn't have time to react and ended up hitting him somewhere between 35-45mph im not sure. Long story short I also was failing to ride with an endorsement and didn't want to call authorities in the beginning for fear of losing my bike. After looking at my ankle and turning off the camera I quickly did though and was taken to the hospital where I stayed for the next 5 days.

I ended up tearing all tendons,ligaments and multiple breaks on my ankle that were fixed with 6 permanent screws and a plate. Had a puncture wound from dragging my ankle along the chip seal. Also two fractures to my left shoulder and a good amount of torn muscle tissue. I got lucky and didn't get much road rash however my hip was extremely bruised/swollen and the deer shit on the side of me and my bike.

All in all I learned my lesson and will never ride without proper gear and do my best to ride with others. I crashed on Fox Island,Wa (Very small not much traffic) and was lucky that repeated screams were heard by somebody and I was able to get help. Yes I called my mom :)

Its now been about 9 months now so i've had a good amount on time to heal and do physical therapy. Haven't rode the bike since and i' ready to get back on. Just need a left side peg,headlight bulb,grips,front left turn signal and i'm good to go. No damage to the bike other than those little things. The bike held up really well.

Here is the video from my GoPro:
[video=youtube;atCrbQv5P3k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atCrbQv5P3k[/video]

And a few pictures of it as I sat waiting for the ambulance:

In the hospital after surgery:

Swelling on my hip:

First time unwrapping after approx 30days time:

X-Ray:
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L

gots_a_sol screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 07:16 PM
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #62
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
That kid is a member of another forum I'm on.

Also, I think it took a big pair of balls to put the video up unedited with his screaming and what not. But that's just me.
No offense to the "kid" but didn't he ever read anything about riding gear? What the hell did he think would happen if he had an incident on the bike? It's not rocket science for crying out loud.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #63
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Some people just don't listen or care. I have friends who won't wear anything more than a helmet and maybe a pair of gloves even though I've told them repeatedly that they should wear more gear. Even after showing them this exact video of just how quickly shit can go wrong (we have lots of deer around here also) they still don't wear it.

I don't even bother trying to change their ways any more, they will just have to figure it out like the kid in the video did.
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #64
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Hey, I'm a relative newb but I'm old enough to have the common sense to read a little before I started riding. My first day out I was sporting a jacket, boots, full face and gloves. Took about a year before I realized riding pants were in my best interest and that was way too long. Every pic I see of an accident involving a bike with tennis shoes shows the sneakers laying somewhere on the road. Boots, first and foremost along with all that other stuff mentioned above.

Kudo's to the kid for leaving that video up so long though. Maybe some other squid will benefit from seeing it. That takes some balls at least.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #65
Morgan Steele
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Kudos to Anthony253 for posting this video unedited. It would be an excellent part of a MSF training curriculum by addressing the issues of hazard anticipation and safety gear usage. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on the collision. Watching the video multiple times, I think he passes the "reasonable person" test. (It appears that there's a sun dazzle effect right before impact and that's a narrow road in my locale.) The Hindsight 20/20 Club has appropriately identified his lack of gear. Fortunately, Anthony doesn't appear to need any more convincing. This time of year I get tempted to just jump on the bike with just a helmet, T-shirt, and jeans. But, this video is a reminder that All The Gear All The Time means just that. Safe riding, gents.
Morgan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #66
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRideASlowBike View Post
Jesus Fucking Christ!
Bicycles are dangerous. There should be a law.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #67
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
Calling this waste of skin a girl is an insult to the gender. One of my mtn biking friends damn near tore her foot off in a crash... never wailed or cried once while waiting for the paramedics to hike up the trail with the stretcher... and the gas ;) In fact, she was more angered that she was going to miss the rest of the season than she was upset by the pain of the incident. Granted... she's one of the toughest girls I know.

Notice the direction her right foot is pointing? You'd have to possess a pretty high pain tolerance to sit quietly, albeit impatiently, while you're looking down your leg at this:

So yeah... not a lot of sympathy for squidly coming from over here. Suck it up and grow a pair. In fact... maybe growing a pair of breasts would be more appropriate than balls in this case.

Looks like she's wearing ATGATT for mtn biking....doesn't look like it helped too much.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #68
go gonzo
The Mustard of Pants

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
Those boots would have looked kind of goofy with the shorts.

Now a set of fringed assless chaps... :ymca
Or a kilt.
go gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #69
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by go gonzo View Post
Or a kilt.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789816
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #70
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
She crash-landed on a downhill slope. Foot slipped off and planted on the ground in front of the pedal while her ass was still on the seat. Momentum took care of the rest. She was lucky as hell - it rolled the ankle over so quickly that it was a completely clean separation of the ankle from the tib/fib, no torn ligaments (they were pretty much all that was keeping it attached to her leg) or blood vessels/arteries... 100% recovery and only a frankenfoot scar to show for it.
Gahhh! I don't care how much that hurt, just seeing it would be way worse.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #71
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I submitted this video to Tosh.0 under the web redemption category.

I think this guy needs to sell his bike and take up table tennis or video games instead.
It made this weeks Tosh.0 as the opening video! Now the kid is getting paid to look like a wimp!