Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #91
peekay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnh View Post
What kind of point and shoot do you have?
Hi donnh, I use a Canon S95, which is fantastic. There's a newer version now (the S100). Sometimes I wish I have a waterproof camera but I know the picture quality wont be as good. It's a compromise. I chose the S95 because it is small enough to fit in my pocket. If you don't mind a slightly larger size, the Canon G series cameras are excellent.

Quote:
How did you circumvent the Darian? Any recommendations? Ride safe.....!
I actually sent my bike using Girag Air Cargo, since I crossed in December during rough seas (most of the boats had stopped sailing until January). There have been some complaints about them but I had no issues whatsoever.

Unless the rumored Ferry to Colombia becomes reality by the time you're ready to cross, the usual and maybe best option is still to cross by boat through the San Blas islands. There are many reputable operations (such as the Stahlratte or Fritz the Cat) but perhaps avoid the MetaComet.

Canada to Argentina (in progress)
peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #92
peekay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo3 View Post
Turn your experience into wisdom.... ride baja in the cooler months, it was beautiful in April.
Will do satchmo! I will visit Baja again, if for nothing else to again thank the guys who bailed me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilborides
I carry pedilite at all times and water. Glad you made it safely
Good note about carrying electrolytes bilborides. Any thoughts about using normal Gatorade instead of pedialyte?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ago
I would like to add just a comment on why things went "wrong" basicly because you had within your self all the assurance of a rescue

Ago there's definitely much truth in what you say! To an extent at least? As an imperfect analogy, I can ride faster because I wear a helmet -- I would definitely ride more slowly / deliberately / safely(?) if I didn't have a helmet. That doesn't mean I shouldn't wear a helmet, right? I tend to think a sat phone / SPOT / GPS as safety devices, like a helmet. But as you point out, all these things might extend our comfort zone maybe too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Stuck this thread for a while to give inmates a chance to enjoy this little gem.. awesome pics btw..
Thanks GB, but I'm afraid the rest of my ride through Baja isn't anywhere as "exciting".

Old 06-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #93
peekay OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Catavina, an oasis in the desert

I rode back to Ensenada and was feeling sorry for myself. I really considered just going home.

The bike's left control quadrant (turn signal, ABS switch, horn, etc.) was damaged in the crash, and I was going to use that as an excuse to ride back up to San Diego to get parts. But I managed to fix it so there went that excuse.

Quick fix

I lost confidence in my riding abilities but I decided to continue the trip. I had dreamt of this trip for so long, I wasn't ready to give it up just yet. But to be honest, part of it was driven by shame -- what would my friends & family think if I returned early? If I failed to reach my destination? I know I should ride for my own enjoyment and forget what everyone else thinks, but a bruised ego is a tough motivator sometimes.

I programmed my GPS for Catavina -- an oasis in the Baja desert -- 375 km south of Ensenada along the (paved) west coast route of MEX-1. That's outside my bike's fuel range so I planned a stop about two-thirds of the way in El Rosario.

There was a ton of construction happening throughout MEX-1, and I was pretty hungry when I finally arrived in El Rosario. Mama Espinoza's restaurant is a Baja institution since the 1930s. I gassed up then sat down for some yummy food at Mama's.

Mama Espinoza's in El Rosario is a Baja institution

After El Rosario I only had a short ride to Catavina. I loved the scenery there! It looked like a "proper" desert, the kind you see on TV, with tons of cactus everywhere.

MEX-1 on the way to Catavina

It's nice to be on the road again. Approaching Catavina, I see that it's quite a small, with only a few buildings here and there.

Small town Catavina

Hotel Mision Cataviña is the one (and only) hotel in town.

Hotel Mision Catavina

There's an abandoned PEMEX pump at the hotel's parking lot; the gas station has been closed for years. There's a guy across the street selling gas from plastic jugs.

Filling up

I walked around admiring the scenery. Some of cactus looked pretty funny, people say like a giant upside down carrot. They's called Los Cirios in Spanish (Boojum trees in English).

Boojum tree looks like an upside-down carrot

Then I stumbled across this, uhh, a car garden??

Interesting??

The sun was setting and I enjoyed the desert vistas.

Sunset at Catavina

Mision Cataviña used to be part of the Desert Inn chain. New management took over and renovated the hotel. They did a pretty good job.

Hotel Mision Catavina

I retire for the night; tomorrow the plan is to cross the state lines to Baja California Sur.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #94
John Nash
Bluenoser

Oddometer: 158
Hello Peekay

I wish you well my friend on your adventure south of the border from a fellow Cunuck.Be safe and enjoy.Thanks for the RR and great pictures.
John Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #95
billyvoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Fantastic journalism from the road! Great photos! Be safe and be well!

cheers!!
billyvoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #96
rod1
Old Australian Bull

Oddometer: 90
memories!

just over 20 years ago my wife and I rode bicycles down Baja working our way to Guadalajara. Your photographs and text have reminded me of that wonderful experience. Now, we both finally started riding motorcycles and how I would love to do a trip like yours. My very best wishes Peekay. I look forward to following your travels. Rod. Australia
rod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #97
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 804
Awesome adventure....!

Keep up.... Be well..!!
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #98
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 728
Peekay,

Great journalism and stunning photography, a really enjoyable ride report!

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #99
michelsavage
Gotta move

Oddometer: 53
Nowwait a minute...

[You're in Baja California. What do you mean by "you crossed in december"... Is my geography all screwed up or what? You're still in Mexico, how could you have crossed the darien? I'm all mixed up here...

I actually sent my bike using Girag Air Cargo, since I crossed in December during rough seas (most of the boats had stopped sailing until January). There have been some complaints about them but I had no issues whatsoever.

Unless the rumored Ferry to Colombia becomes reality by the time you're ready to cross, the usual and maybe best option is still to cross by boat through the San Blas islands. There are many reputable operations (such as the Stahlratte or Fritz the Cat) but perhaps avoid the MetaComet. [/QUOTE]
michelsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #100
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelsavage View Post
[You're in Baja California. What do you mean by "you crossed in december"... Is my geography all screwed up or what? You're still in Mexico, how could you have crossed the darien? I'm all mixed up here...

Unless the rumored Ferry to Colombia becomes reality by the time you're ready to cross, the usual and maybe best option is still to cross by boat through the San Blas islands. There are many reputable operations (such as the Stahlratte or Fritz the Cat) but perhaps avoid the MetaComet.
[/QUOTE]

I believe there is significant lag time between the spectacular ride and the ride report. Perhaps GB decided to sticky this thread in order to encourage peekay to move forward with his next installment...

I have a feeling this is only going to get better as the trip progresses.

Safe Riding,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo

poolman screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 10:35 AM
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #101
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by peekay View Post
The trip so far (from SpotWalla):

I am thinking the trip report is a couple of months behind.

In the quote above is the SPOT link from the 3rd post in the thread.

I guess we may be cheating here. But good to know Peekay is safely riding.

Sunday Rider screwed with this post 06-08-2012 at 05:24 AM Reason: can't type worth sh**
Sunday Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #102
aDave
Lovin' Life!

Oddometer: 184
Wonderful updates

Really enjoying your report...only thing that would make it better is more updates.

Safe travels!
Dave

Pacifism is a luxury of the defended.
aDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #103
d.asher
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Subscribed! Want to hear how this trip continues onward!
d.asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #104
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Subscribed as well. Great story.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #105
Morinite
KLRista

Peekay, I'm so glad you made it out alive...but are still soldiering on. I experienced a real bad heat exhaustion / stroke a while back in the red desert of Kandahar... Yes I'm a soldier.

I was involved in a 16 hr straight, fire-fight and was so focused on my job and my men I neglected to hydrate for many hours. It was + 44c at noon. Well to make a sad day even sadder I had to be evaced to the hospital where I spent 6 days recovering, two in a medically induced coma because my brain had swollen.

I'm a good soldier and NCO and I was racked with so much shame and guilt I forced my way back to the field to fight again as soon as I was physically able to..

I was told some of my organs stopped working properly because of the heat. I peed some blood too. The body aches and pain I had for several days afterward was a real eye opener. I carried no less than 12 L of water at all times after that day with electrolytes.

I look back at some of the mistakes I made that day. 1) don't share your water when others have their own (as i had done). 2) calories, eat to sustain (even when not hungry). 3) Cover up, find shade, no shade make shade. 4) Heat induced confusion only gets worse.

Yes I understand my story is much different than yours and I'm not bragging about my ordeal or trying to minimize the significance of yours but the conclusions are the same. I'm home now and despite the war I had to endure that heat stroke was a mother f@^r. Never, never again.

Morinite is offline   Reply With Quote