Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #31
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Not only did they make supercharged race bikes, but those bikes were so successful that they caused superchargers to be banned from motorcycle racing to level the playing field. They were getting 60hp out of a 500cc twin before world war 2. Ducati was getting similar output from their 500cc bikes in 1980.

So why did they not continue? i've heard the story that they were banned due to them upsetting the non-Germans however if they were so successful why did no-one else continue with them?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #32
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
IIRC, BMW discontinued thier research into forced induction race bikes because:

1) They'd won just about everything worth winning.

And

2) Supercharging was banned from the highest levels of interrnational racing and I think that the might have taken that rather personally, as was intended. There were other reasons but I"m of the opinion that that was the biggie.

I'm really happy that BMW is back on the tracks and I'm elated that theyre WINNING!

PS: Don't forget that BMW was for many years the holder of several International Aircraft Altitude and speed Records, going back as far as the first world war. Whenever and wherever the Germans chose to compete, they were usually at the or near top, whether it was Mercedes, Auto Union or BMW.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 06-06-2012 at 02:35 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #33
RoughReady
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Here is a page I scanned from my 1980's era Luftmeister catalog showing the basic Turbo package.
RoughReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #34
RoughReady
Gnarly Adventurer

Here is another page (if anyone even cares) showing some of the additional turbo system components. It's my understanding that the basic Turbo system cost about $4000 back in the day. Add to that the cost of the bike itself(about 3800 for a 1983 RS - the most expensive general production streetbike on the market at that time, according to an old Cycle magazine article from 1984 and you are looking at some serious cash being spent --in some cases so that the airhead guys could impress their K 100 Bike buddies. (
Old 06-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #35
desmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Turbo RS for sale in Orlando

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/3053171525.html
2007 Guzzi Cali Vintage (skunk seat)
2001 Porsche 911 (Speed Yellow)
desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #36
JLeather
Bike Butcherer

Oddometer: 291
RoughReady, I care and I thank you for the scans. I bought a Luftmeister kit a few months ago and it's going on my R60/5 this winter. I'm having the turbo gone through now (although it may be replaced with a T20 since RH05 parts are apparently impossible to find).
JLeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #37
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
No Problem Then

So, it looks like at least for some of you that buying a bike that has had a turbo would be no problem ?
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #38
RoughReady
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's a page from the catalog showing the Krausers', etc.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #39
RoughReady
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerone View Post
So, it looks like at least for some of you that buying a bike that has had a turbo would be no problem ?
It was not a problem for me when I bought the 83 R100RS Turbo primarily because I came across it more or less by accident and got it for a very good price. I needed a turbo bike like I needed a hole in my head. After spending some time and effort to get it running (it sat for 5 years) I drove it around the block a few times (low speed - rear valve stem leaking air, not registered, insured, etc) and parked it in a corner of the garage where it still sits. Here's a pic I posted somewhere else on ADV 4 years ago when I got it.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #40
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
A turbo could work well for sure, however twin cylinder engines don't respond as well as multi cylinder bikes (more lag)
These are pretty crude kits (as in old design) At least it has water injection, bit it really should be blowing through twin carbs, and have an intercooler. Seeing as how Airheads are detonation prone already, I would add a water/alcohol injection as well.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #41
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,745
By all accounts the turbo airheads suffered from dreadful turbo lag, we're fine in a straight line, but a bit tricky in corners, the Honda cx turbo twin suffered similar issues.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #42
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
I'm a little late to this discussion but I might as well jump in with a little story.

Back in 1982 my father crashed racing a Norvin in the Battle of the Twins class at Daytona. This crash resulted in a pinched nerve in his neck/shoulder. And ended his racing ambitions. Because he's a racehead/hotrodder he had to devise a panacea for racing. His answer was an EML sidecar rig based on a 1981 BMW R100RS. Knowing this motor was a little weak, he decided to make it more powerful. Off to the CC Products catalog(remember them?) and lo-and-behold POWER PARTS! Once he was done, the motor sported the Lufmonster, er, Lufmeister turbo, Krauser 4 valve heads, and an 1108cc kit. Being a lifelong mechanic he knew that certain stock parts were probably not going to survive this kind of thrashing. Through careful building, and expansion of certain oil galleys he created one seriously quick EML sidecar rig to ride. Oh, and to tote around his growing son...ME! This rig was what we toured on for many years. It never left us stranded. And that's saying something with some of the distances we went in it. Some time in the 90's he decided it was time to put a stock motor in the rig and sell the monster motor. I had my own bike and the sidecar was doing more commuting miles than touring miles. He sold the motor to a gentleman in MA, I believe. I recall he was a hobby sportscar racer, and that's what eventually killed him. To our knowledge he had no troubles with the monster motor in his solo bike. Somedays I kinda wish I could find it. Bring it home, and find a Magni, or some other more performance oriented frame to hang it in. Just to see her go again.

Here's a picture of it in it's first version. Just turbo'ed and big bored, I believe.

The reason why it's on a trailer is we're going to Daytona. The year after dad's crash. We left Iowa City. Trailered to Nashville, where we unloaded and rode the rest of the way. We were an eclectic group. To say the least.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #43
mnsty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I'm a little late also but here's my R90S turbo. 162000 miles on it so don't say they all blow up.

76 R90S Turbo
77 R100RS
83 RS/GS
85 K100RS
90 BMW K1
91 900IE Lucky Exp
00 VOR 503SM
04 KTM 950 GO!!!!!
05 TM 530 Black Dream

= Too much stuff. When will I learn??
mnsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #44
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
The Lufty turbos were drooled over by many of us back in the day. But, due to the high costs involved, very few people I knew could afford it. There were 2 BMW guys in our little band of malcontents that did have the $$ and they both went thru a lot of work to install and set them up. Both blew up motors by trying to set the boost to high and they both went thru transmissions. But, back then, we all rode our bikes quite hard. Hell we all thought that we were indestructible and the next big name racer. Both those guys eventually figured out the right amount of boost along with the right compression ratios and put a lot of miles on their bikes. The turbos did have some inherent issues if not properly cared for. As I recall bearings in the turbos did tend to be the biggest issues, but could be fixed.

Bimota built a few turbo charged airheads for people using the Lufty design. Never saw one in person, but as I recall, they were super expensive. You had to supply a pristine bike, they would then disassemble and install the Lufty system along with all their massaged parts, then wrap it in one of their specially designed fairings. Looked great and got some great reviews in European motorcycle journals at the time. But, the total costs were about 4 times the price of the original bike.

Funny side note, we also had 1 guy that had put a turbo on his Yamaha XS1100. He would work on it for a few weeks, take it out for a spin, then cart it home to rebuild again. We all know these types of guys, they have a good paying job, live on their own and never have steady girl friends, but always have a girl. They usually have some engine parts or even complete bikes parked in their front room. He went thru a few engine casings, lots of heads, cranks, and numerous other parts. But once he got it all sorted (took over a year), there was nothing on the streets that could touch it. He named the bike Excessive Eleven. We think it was because of the excessive amount of money he put into it. It never was super reliable, but he sure had fun with it.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #45
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsty View Post
I'm a little late also but here's my R90S turbo. 162000 miles on it so don't say they all blow up.
amazing clean install on R90S ..

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote