ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,606
Offline satellite maps?

I looked everywhere and got nothing.

I've had a nuvi for two years and it works well with routes and road directions. But for going off the beaten path or taking that dirt path through a remote mountain range I've found it's pretty useless. Topos aren't bad but After downloading google earth to my iPhone and being able to view a route I realized it doesn't get any better than this.....online.

I saw a press release that android will soon offer offline google earth for metropolitan sized areas and apple should and an announcement about mapping next week but I'm SOL now

At this point my brain is overheating from thinking so i ask you.....does anyone offer satellite maps for iPhone or any device at all really, phone or gps? Not topo, satellite.

devo2002 screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 12:28 PM
devo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,489
for android phones and google maps, the map tiles are cached as they are viewed. So in my instance, when I know where I'm going, I'll view the map and satellite view in google maps, on my android phone, and those tiles will be available for offline viewing without any network connection. The obvious "trouble" is that you have to manually view, zoom in, follow the intended route, zoom in, follow the intended route to the desired zoom level.

There is an android application made by a member here named craftycoder, the app is called DualSportMaps. It has an accompanying website for uploading and storing AND searching tracks uploaded by other members of the site, and the default map view is a OSM. The simple explanation is that they are vector maps, take up ALOT less space AND they are all viewable offline. Additionally, if you have loaded a track into the phone, there is an option to DL all map tiles along the route for offline viewing. There is a thread in the vendors forum called "Dual Sport Maps" or similar and I've used the app and highly recommend it for android phone users searching for just this solution.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Garmin offers "Birdseye" downloadable sat photos on their high end GPS. I use it on my Colorado and it works pretty well for me. The maps take a really long time to download and install, but they're very detailed.
VTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Both very good suggestions, I was not aware dualsportmaps had satellite imaging. Thanks for Birdseye imaging, maybe I'll get my hands on a used Colorado or something, but I'm hoping I find an iPhone solution since I already got that.

I have topo maps apps and that is great for hiking or biking, but cumbersome for riding. There has to be a solution under $100
Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,674
I just confirmed on my iPhone that MotionX GPS allows downloading (and caching) Bing satellite maps.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Now we are talking. I see two motionx apps, but since they are both a dollar I'll just try both and report
Old 06-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Now we are talking. I see two motionx apps, but since they are both a dollar I'll just try both and report
There's MotionX GPS Drive, which does *not* allow caching of satellite maps (works like a Garmin auto GPS for routing, etc) and there's MotionX GPS, which is the one you want.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Awesome, I am able to download bing hybrid maps of entire regions for relatively little space, I can also uPload gpx files. Given this costs a dollar, what is the bonus of paying $300+ for a dedicated Delorme or garmin?

Dedicated device yes but if I have a charger and no other apps runnin my iPhone becomes pretty dedicated.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
ARZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Sorry to dredge this old thread up, but I'm on Android and still looking for a way to Cashe satellite images. Anyone have an APP that isnt $20. I would probably pay it if I saw someones detailed review or instructions. This one only appears to show Maps, and not very detailed ones at that.

ARZ screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 12:19 PM
ARZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Mondo-Hondo
Delusional

Oddometer: 57
Gaia GPS

It's $20, but I've been using Gaia GPS on an iphone and with an ipad (waiting for my bad elf gps receiver to use the ipad on the bike) and Gaia is pretty rad. It lets you select from a lot of map sources (including google sat imagery) and will let you download maps for offline use. It will also automatically download the maps for a track if you have those loaded. and it natively opens gpx and kml files, so going from Google Earth to a track is pretty easy.

I like it better than motionX (which i also have) primarily for the numerous map sources an the auto-download of maps for a track.
Mondo-Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote