Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 692
Dirt only riding areas north of Jacksonville?

I'm coming to the great state of Flatistan next month for a conference. Are there any good trail systems and/or MX tracks in a line north of Jacksonville heading back towards Atlanta? I checked out the sticky and found a couple of dual-sport only places, so that is an option for my LC4 640, but I'd really like to find some dirt-only opportunities.

Hook a sista up?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Keep in mind North of Jax is commonly called South East GA.

Many of the unwashed like what is just west of Jax in the Osceola Nat Forest. Have ridden the north area but IMHO the forest is better.

Don't know if you bike is TAGGED or not....it is required in most areas of Osceola NF.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,449
The Osceola National Forest is a bunch of fun, but you will need a plate as Wolfgang mentioned. We've done weekend rallies there for the past few years, here are some threads.

BQF III Osceola Feb 4-6 2011

BQF IV 4th Times a Charm 2012

If you have specific dates, especially over a weekend, can prob a few other folks out for group riding fun.

Hope that helps,
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
The Osceola National Forest is a bunch of fun, but you will need a plate as Wolfgang mentioned. We've done weekend rallies there for the past few years, here are some threads.

BQF III Osceola Feb 4-6 2011

BQF IV 4th Times a Charm 2012

If you have specific dates, especially over a weekend, can prob a few other folks out for group riding fun.

Hope that helps,
I have a KTM LC4 640 that is plated, my KX is not (which would probably be a lot more fun). How nasty is the sand on a bigger bike like my LC4?

Also I saw a picture of a huge spider on someone's helmet. It reminded me of those Alien facegrabbers. How bad are the bugs?

Plan on being in town around the 19th of July.. I think I'll be free late that Saturday and all day Sunday. I don't like riding much asphalt especially long stretches of it. I'd probably truck my bike in from Jax and go from there.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
I have a KTM LC4 640 that is plated, my KX is not (which would probably be a lot more fun). How nasty is the sand on a bigger bike like my LC4?

Also I saw a picture of a huge spider on someone's helmet. It reminded me of those Alien facegrabbers. How bad are the bugs?

Plan on being in town around the 19th of July.. I think I'll be free late that Saturday and all day Sunday. I don't like riding much asphalt especially long stretches of it. I'd probably truck my bike in from Jax and go from there.
KLRs have fun, your LC4 should have stupid fun. Bring bug spray for mosquitos, flies, and ticks, consider camping to maximize the dirt or just arrive early. Once the date gets closer post up a new thread, see if some peeps come by. Either way, you'll enjoy yourself.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Are sand/mud tires a must? I saw some KLRs with "knobbies" but I'm not into those kinds of challenges.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Quote:
Are sand/mud tires a must? I saw some KLRs with "knobbies" but I'm not into those kinds of challenges.
You will encounter sugar sand, and depending on weather some sections may be under water. Not necessarily deep mud, just deep puddles with mud around it.

You will want knobbies. I was running 80/20 dirt/street Trailwings (forget the model number), which were sufficient. I think there was at least one LC4 there (colemanfu?), they always seemed to have a smile.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
Barney
I reckon so

Oddometer: 851
There's a MX track north of Jax in Hilliard, if it's still open.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Knobbies are your friends.....each one of them.

Go to regionals, get to Florida & hunt up the CADS group of NE FL. They get real dirty & have an every Wednesday night meeting. Mainly for dinner but the coming wknd ride is the topic of discussion. You would be most welcome.

Intro your self as from me.......but keep your helmet on untill after the food throwing & beer spitting stops.

They have all levels of riders & you should fit in somewhere.

But wear knobbies, the little cost of these tires are like insurance to keep your bike in order, but most of all you'l have more fun. If you wear full armor why not protect your bike as best you can w/ the right tires for the better ride.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
There's a MX track north of Jax in Hilliard, if it's still open.
Looks so:
http://www.northfloridamotocross.com/nfmx/modules/news/

28422 Liberty Trl Hilliard, FL 32046
(904) 504-2310
Old 06-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Is there anywhere to ride along the beach on my plated dual sport? (again in the Ponte Verde/Jax area)
Old 06-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Is there anywhere to ride along the beach on my plated dual sport? (again in the Ponte Verde/Jax area)
Nowhere off pavement. At least not legally. I have a good haul to do any offroad riding. If you are so inclined you can take the ferry from Mayport over to Heckscher, make a right and ride up into Amelia Island and Fernandina. Nice scenic ride up that way.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #13
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Or take the tiny ferry south, around 50 miles south & you hit some great forest rds for nearly anything w/ wheels.
Oh did I say this on the west side of the river....
Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Or take the tiny ferry south, around 50 miles south & you hit some great forest rds for nearly anything w/ wheels.
Oh did I say this on the west side of the river....
If its the one i'm thinking of i've never been on it but want to ride that way.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
Queen of Spades OP
tall drink of water

Decision time.. do I take the KX250 and get some track time at the Hiliard place, or the KTM and have an extra 1-2 hours on the commute home.

Wishing there were even some short runs closer to Jax or Ponte Vedra. I'd rather bring the pumpkin but not at the expense of a longer drive home. :)