Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #46
Merckx the Cannibal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback View Post
Judobiker wrote:

Whenever I am approaching a car in the left turn lane (death lane) or they are stopped at a cross street, I waggle the bike back and forth a bit to give them some lateral movement in hopes of catching their eye and letting them know I am an approaching bike and not a beer bottle reflecting the sun.

Lee
Yeah! I do that, too! Give the bike a little jiggle.

More often, I point at the driver with my left hand, as if I'm saying, "Hey, I see you. Do you see me?" And sometimes I stand up on the pegs and quickly sit back down on the saddle. It's the movement that attracts drivers' attention. I think it works, especially the pointing. Invariably, if the driver is creeping, I see the wheels stop.
Merckx the Cannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #47
helion42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanCT View Post
Keep your toll ticket in a zip lock bag along with an assortment of change and small bills. At the booth, just hand over the bag to the toll collector and let him take what he needs.
I first read it as "hand the bag to the troll".

Not wearing the ring isn't something that I thought of, but dear god that's a good one. There's a million threads that talk about these, and you can make a list years long of all the little things (many adv threads have tried)... but either way here's some more tips.
Some more tip ideas -
>Wave to biker cops.
>Don't run the bike to "speedily" oil the chain, or you're really gonna love what happens if your hand gets caught in the sprocket.
>wear the right jacket for the weather - a mesh jacket may feel better when it's 90 outside, but you can get dehydrated and heat stroke pretty fast; wearing a thick, vented but less breathable jacket will keep your precious bodily fluids from becoming sapped
helion42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #48
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by helion42 View Post
I first read it as "hand the bag to the troll".

Not wearing the ring isn't something that I thought of, but dear god that's a good one. There's a million threads that talk about these, and you can make a list years long of all the little things (many adv threads have tried)... but either way here's some more tips.
Some more tip ideas -
>Wave to biker cops.
>Don't run the bike to "speedily" oil the chain, or you're really gonna love what happens if your hand gets caught in the sprocket.
>wear the right jacket for the weather - a mesh jacket may feel better when it's 90 outside, but you can get dehydrated and heat stroke pretty fast; wearing a thick, vented but less breathable jacket will keep your precious bodily fluids from becoming sapped

+1 to waving to biker cops.

If you run the bike to oil the chain, put it in neutral and let it turn due to oil drag. Turns nice and slow, with very little power. Either way, treat it like all moving equipment: keep your hands and anything attached to you away from it. Use spray lube or an oil can, on the rear of the sprocket (there isn't a catch point there.). Don't use a rag. Think handheld scott-oiler.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #49
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback View Post
John wrote:

I thought about that key placement too but I realize I need a key to get the seat off so I am pooched if I lose the key. Still looking for the ideal hiding place for that chincy plastic key they give you as a backup.

Lee
I tape the plastic key inside the taillight (away from the bulb) - most I have to find is a Phillips head screwdriver to get access . Then I can retrieve the "real" spare in with the registration.

Learned that when my pillion broke the key off in the top case!

Paul
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #50
bigdog99
CJ's bitch

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonac View Post
Windex is not good for plastic screens. A spray bottle of water and a tiny bit of dish soap will work just as well, if not better.
Been using Windex on my Shoei and Arai shields almost daily for about the past 30 years with -ZERO- problems. Use my bare fingers to gently sften and loosen bugs, then clean with a soft clean cloth or a soft paper towel. Have had shields EASILY last 5 years or more. This , in about 400,000 miles of riding. Don't believe everything you read.
bigdog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #51
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
1: When you stop at a light and you're on-point, never stop square in the middle of the lane.

You're already small and easy to overlook. Stopping to the side means less likely the chance of getting rear ended and more likely the chance they'll shoot the gap and go through the intersection.

"But officer, the sun was in my eyes"

2: Don't pass large vehicles on the right, but if you do hold out your arm so your profile is wider... But generally, don't pass ANYTHING (in Merica) on the right. Left hand drive makes seeing out of the right side harder due to seat head rests and B or C pillars,,, car seats... Little Johnny, etc.

Not so on the left. Humans normally have a 180 degree field of vision and that means usually once you've left the field of view in the mirror, you're right outside the drivers window in some sort of view. But don't be complacent and accept that. MOVE!

3: Judge traffic and avoid potential scenario's. Scan ahead and keep an eye out for that (Nashville State) Community College parking lot entrance/exit that always has high traffic entering the road, but an intersection is just ahead someone might want to make a left at.

If you're in a blind spot that's A LOT of potential accidents.

3a: Use your horn! That guy exiting the Thorton's in the left turn lane might actually want to turn right but you being smaller, more maneuverable and having faster, quicker reflexes shot up the right (in his blind spot) so "meep meeep!" and let him know you're there.

Use of it is NOT illegal so, the more the merrier. Go for the gold.

Do this at every right on red you have to undertake (Wiki: Undertakeing (Driving)) a vehicle to get to. They might suddenly change their mind and you know how attentive drivers are these days

3b: USE YOUR HORN EVERY TIME YOU UNDERTAKE A VEHICLE.

This one is special.

4: I don't know why, but people do the dumbest things.

If you're on a divided road with a turn lane and traffic is stopped watch for people turning left from the turn lane and crossing the direction of travel you're heading.

I have seen major T-bones from morons doing this... And I believe it's illegal... So, you can also sue whoever let the person cross in front of them, should you T-bone crossing traffic.

Watch for gaps on the left if say you're in the right lane approaching a intersection. More often than not, some dumbass jack wad is motioning for the nitwit in the turn-lane to turn in front of them, but they have to nose out in your lane to even see if traffic's coming or not... When they should have went further down turned around and came back up to get to their destination.

Watch for people stopping to let other people turn from a turn lane in front of them.

Having to do with #4,

5: If you take it upon yourself to flag traffic, you now become liable for what may result.

So remember that next time you're "helping" someone in or out of a spot, or you're doing traffic control at an accident you rode up on.

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 12:25 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #52
seniordirtdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Great ideas

A picture would be nice on how the Cat washers work.
seniordirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #53
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,578
Bugs on the visor: They're sticky critters. When I pull up to fuel, the first thing I do is get a couple of paper towels out of the dispenser, dunk them in the windshield washer tank, and flatten them on my helmet visor and front. By the time I'm done fueling the bugs are good and soaked and a quick swipe of the towels completely removes them.

I never ride without a jacket. Most have a little pocket somewhere that seems pretty useless for anything of real consequence.............except for a spare key and a $20.00 bill.

A little dot with a Sharpie on a nut and it's mating bolt will let you check to see if something is loosening with a glance instead of a wrench.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #54
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Bugs on the visor: They're sticky critters. When I pull up to fuel, the first thing I do is get a couple of paper towels out of the dispenser, dunk them in the windshield washer tank, and flatten them on my helmet visor and front. By the time I'm done fueling the bugs are good and soaked and a quick swipe of the towels completely removes them.

I never ride without a jacket. Most have a little pocket somewhere that seems pretty useless for anything of real consequence.............except for a spare key and a $20.00 bill.

A little dot with a Sharpie on a nut and it's mating bolt will let you check to see if something is loosening with a glance instead of a wrench.
Or a line of nail polish. We use that on paintball tanks to make sure the tank isnt coming loose.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #55
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
3a: Use your horn! That guy exiting the Thorton's in the left turn lane might actually want to turn right but you being smaller, more maneuverable and having faster, quicker reflexes shot up the right (in his blind spot) so "meep meeep!" and let him know you're there.
+1... but... that the horn matches the vehicle size is the result of marketing 'wisdom' only. On all my road bikes as well as small automobiles I've always replaced the anemic little "uh, excuse me sir" beeper with the dual-tone Fiamms dad's 4500lb Oldsmobiles always had. Cheap at any Wal-mart.
I rarely use a horn but when I do I want it to say "This isn't just a compact car or motorcycle... It's someone you seriously need to pay attention to"

Haven't lost or misplaced or panicked about a key in many years. Have a battery switch. Don't recommend it to everyone, but I'm TERRIBLE with lost keys, wallets, credit cards, etc.

tucked way out of sight under the tank but easy for me to reach by hand. Use the handlebar kill switch to kill the engine and then isolate the whole system with the switch. Never have used the fork locks. If I'm ever in an area that concerns me I always secure the frame to a stout pole with a large Ulock. Even if someone was determined enough to hotwire the bike they're not likely to find the hidden battery switch since it's just not common on bikes. For the seat lock I simply removed the tumbler pins. Still functions like normal (to a would-be thief) but I can lock/unlock it with any key or similar metal tab. A thief never suspects this. (unless too many of you follow my tip and ruin the surprise).

Wear the thinnest, slipperiest fabric, loose fitting, pair of running pants under jeans or riding pants.

Don't need expensive. Just a light breathable fabric that is as "slippery" as possible. Wish I'd discovered this in my first ten years of riding. Makes loooong rides 1000 percent more comfortable by eliminating any binding in a seated position and while moving about in the saddle. Adds almost zero to heat discomfort even on very hot days. The right fabric can even enhance wicking.

svejkovat screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 07:40 AM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #56
Irishman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
"When boxing, try not to let the other guy's glove touch your face, because you never know where that glove has been."

[Jack Handy]

Irishman screwed with this post 06-13-2012 at 11:08 AM
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #57
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
The soft foam plugs custom fit themselves every time.
+1. The custom-made plugs I bought are pretty comfy, but they are the absolute worst at blocking noise.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #58
helion42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
"When boxing, try not to let the other guy's glove touch your face, because you never know where that glove has been."
+1, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.
helion42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #59
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat View Post
Don't need expensive. Just a light breathable fabric that is as "slippery" as possible. Wish I'd discovered this in my first ten years of riding. Makes loooong rides 1000 percent more comfortable by eliminating any binding in a seated position and while moving about in the saddle. Adds almost zero to heat discomfort even on very hot days. The right fabric can even enhance wicking.
Anti-theft...

Love the battery switch... On the off-chance... Who the hell has that as a key in their pocket? Or can hack the wires and straight wire it?

Also see: Tethered kill switch. Might save your engine in an offy. And again, who the hell has a "key" for that?

Also, Goodwill or second-hand shops have the potential to have the baddest non-motorcycle gear you can find.

Save for the padding look in the athletic pants section for CHEAP water/wind-proof over-pants.

Jackets, for a light nylon insulated jacket you can stuff under your riding jacket.

Beats the shit out of retail... Oh, and it's tax free... (The squander enough of my money)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #60
Frostback OP
Frostback

Oddometer: 217
I have plans to do a 10 day trip across the western US with one change of clothes. Every little town has a Goodwill secondhand shop where I can buy pants and shirt for $2.00 each so I can just trade in the old and buy some new. they wash and resell my oldies. I get to be 1970 fashionable for a few days. Outrageous clothes get extra points.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote