User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #13036
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,099
OEM Fog/Aux lights

I know they aren't the best but just wondering what those who have the OEM auxiliary lights think of them. Illumination? Durability?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #13037
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
IMO, they really help visibility. I'm a fan and keep them on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
I know they aren't the best but just wondering what those who have the OEM auxiliary lights think of them. Illumination? Durability?
Old 06-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #13038
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Don't know where you got that opinion from. They are fecking brilliant, although pricey. Mine are nearly 18 months old now & never a problem.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #13039
SMIFFXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
They are quite bright actually. I bought them only to be seen better and everyone I ride with says they have no problem seeing me. Haven't had a problem, it's been just over a year.
SMIFFXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #13040
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
If your looking for a good light look at Rigid Industries. I run the Rigid's with the SW Motech mounts.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #13041
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
If your looking for a good light look at Rigid Industries. I run the Rigid's with the SW Motech mounts.
Which Rigids to you buy and do you have a pic of the set-up?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #13042
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,928
Long shot, but....

A) Does anyone have any pictures from the rear of the hepco Becker pannier racks? Curious how far it sticks out on left.

B) longer shot. Any pictures of hepco junior bags mounted?

Thanks
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #13043
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Any pictures of hepco junior bags mounted?
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/....html#msg28016
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #13044
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Which Rigids to you buy and do you have a pic of the set-up?
Denali D2's
best pics i got as of right now

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #13045
frytown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Help! Engine suddenly rattling like it's wasted

All, would post this in the "Tiger 800 problems" but I don't know yet if I have a problem (though I'm pretty sure I do).

I've got a 2012 Roadie, about 3 months old, and just a tad over 2500 mi. Relatively babied on break in, got the 600 mi. service from the dealer at about 700 mi - which included all the normal stuff with no outstanding issues.
I ride the bike on a 56 mile RT commute every day, and vary my speed quite a bit since it's highway stop and go and lane splitting. Today is Friday and on Wednesday morning I started it up and it sounded clackity, from the top of the motor.
It's gotten worse every moment since and I just swung by the dealer and have an appointment on next Wed. to have the dealer mechanic pull the valve covers off and have a look - cam, valves, timing chain, etc.

It sounds like a bike that's run outta oil, but the oil level is spot on. I check it pretty religiously. No residue in the tail pipe, just a tiny bit of carbon. This, plus the fact that the oil level has never changed leads me to believe I'm not burning or losing oil. The clack is so loud, my decidedly non-mechanical wife can hear it plain as day.

I'm pretty worried since it sounds like ass, and I absolutely LOVE the bike. I won't ride it again until I have to take it to the dealer - which is unfortunately about a 25 mile fwy. ride, so I'm just gonna stew and fret.

Any insights from the peanut gallery?
frytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #13046
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by frytown View Post
Today is Friday and on Wednesday morning I started it up and it sounded clackity, from the top of the motor.
It's gotten worse every moment since and I just swung by the dealer and have an appointment on next Wed. to have the dealer mechanic pull the valve covers off and have a look - cam, valves, timing chain, etc.

It sounds like a bike that's run outta oil, but the oil level is spot on. I check it pretty religiously. No residue in the tail pipe, just a tiny bit of carbon. This, plus the fact that the oil level has never changed leads me to believe I'm not burning or losing oil. The clack is so loud, my decidedly non-mechanical wife can hear it plain as day.

I'm pretty worried since it sounds like ass, and I absolutely LOVE the bike. I won't ride it again until I have to take it to the dealer - which is unfortunately about a 25 mile fwy. ride, so I'm just gonna stew and fret.

Any insights from the peanut gallery?
Mine did the same thing after sitting in stop............and go traffic for about 3.5 hours in 95deg heat to and from the Indy 500. You could hear the valve train rattle for 30 seconds or so after it started and then the noise would go away. My take was that the oil (Honda branded MC oil) had broken down from the extreme heat and was not leaving a film in the head for startup, so I changed it out with Castrol MC synthetic. Problem was immediately resolved. Motorcycles are hard on oil. Idling them and running them at low speed in the heat is even harder on oil.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #13047
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Mine has slight rattle on start up - goes away after about a minute. Doesnt sound like valves & it isnt the oil (just changed it with 10/40 AMS) I think it maybe cam chain tensioner. I'll have them check it out when I get kickstand recall done.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #13048
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,537
It's an oil issue. Make sure your at the full mark. And make sure your using full synthetic.

I was at the dealer yesterday & my T8 made a grinding sound when he cranked it to install the latest tune. He immediately said that sound means the oil is low. Sure enough, the oil level was at the bottom of my site glass. He topped it off & it has not made that sound again.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #13049
XPADREX
Funslinger

Oddometer: 7,887
Stupid question posted from a cell phone: did they change the oil drain plug from a traditional external to a set in torx looking jobby?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #13050
Jblk9695
AKA-Crazy Old Man

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPADREX View Post
Stupid question posted from a cell phone: did they change the oil drain plug from a traditional external to a set in torx looking jobby?
Sort of, it's an 8mm internal hex pipe plug.

Jerry