ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2005, 02:20 AM   #1
Ron Seida OP
Adventman
 
Ron Seida's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Motor City... For now.
Oddometer: 1,247
HPN front-end??

Does anyone out there have an R100GS with the HPN front end? If so, i could use some specs. I'm copying the design myself with WP4860 forks shortened to the correct length, but i would like to know how much steering off-set the HPN triple-clamp has, and the resulting trail would be handy too. I plan on using a KTM 20mm off-set clamp, but only if the resulting trail is acceptable. Any comments??
Thanx in advance.
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:01 AM   #2
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead
 
jtwind's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Madison WI
Oddometer: 3,476
Why don't you just ask HPN? They usually are pretty helpful.

http://www.hpn.de/english/english.html

There is some info available on the english version of this fellows site.
http://www.possi.de/willkommen/willkommen.html
You also may be able to ask him. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
Ron Seida OP
Adventman
 
Ron Seida's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Motor City... For now.
Oddometer: 1,247
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwind
Why don't you just ask HPN? They usually are pretty helpful.

http://www.hpn.de/english/english.html

There is some info available on the english version of this fellows site.
http://www.possi.de/willkommen/willkommen.html
You also may be able to ask him. JT
I tried, no responce. Actually, i tried e-mailing them twice before, never got an answer.
Thanx for the info, i'll send this guy a letter. Maybe he can help me out.
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:16 PM   #4
Frank Warner
Traveller
 
Frank Warner's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 6,593
Err I think the HPN stuff uses the full travel ... so there offset may not be aplicable.

If your going to use the same travel length of the original then why not use the same 'effective' offset. (Note 'effective' - look at the trail [distance between tyre contact to steering head axis extended to road]). I take it you were happy with the bikes handleing before? If noit thne you need to talk to someone who does frame modifications .. some one local.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:25 PM   #5
Ron Seida OP
Adventman
 
Ron Seida's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Motor City... For now.
Oddometer: 1,247
Hi Frank, i had a feeling i would here from you. I just took some rough measurements and have determined the stock trail to be aprox.60-65mm. This is with a stock 36mm off-set triple-clamp. Currently the only triple-clamp i can find to fit the WP4860 forks has a max. off-set of 20mm. I can also buy a 22mm from Emig Racing for $500, this is not an option. The reduced off-set will increase the trail to maybe 75-80mm. My understanding is trail effects the bikes ability to go in a strait line, similar to the caster on a shopping cart. The more trail, the better strait-line stability. The other side of this is you loose the fast-turning capability desired for off-road riding. I've discovered many bush-riders and hare-scramblers prefer this increased off-set, providing faster, tighter handling in the woods.
The big beemer has always felt kinda twitchy, with the ability to change your line in the middle of a corner with min. effort. A few times i've mis-juged corners too fast, only throwing it down nice and deep, dragging the pegs on the way out. The existing trail seems to be on the minimalist side if the scale for a large street-bike. Granted, the GS does handle surprisingly well in slow twisty off-road situations. Say, ever try to let go of the handle-bars while doing 60 down the highway? Pretty scarry, huh!
I supose i could build a new triple-clamp from scratch out of billet, but i would rather not. Owning something one-of-a-kind is cool when your close to home, but sucks when your in the middle of Bolivia. KTM parts are easy to find on E-Bay and are actually quite cheap and of high quality. I only turn a custom spindle on the lathe to suit the BMW bearing size and length of steering head.
I would like to know what HPN may have changed from stock geometry, and if someone out there could comment or give me some specs, it would help me immensley in making my final decision and finally finishing this project once and for all. I'll send HPN one last letter begging for their specs, but like i said before they don't return any of my e-mails.
Thanx again...
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:09 AM   #6
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Seida
Hi Frank, i had a feeling i would here from you. I just took some rough measurements and have determined the stock trail to be aprox.60-65mm. This is with a stock 36mm off-set triple-clamp. Currently the only triple-clamp i can find to fit the WP4860 forks has a max. off-set of 20mm. I can also buy a 22mm from Emig Racing for $500, this is not an option. The reduced off-set will increase the trail to maybe 75-80mm. My understanding is trail effects the bikes ability to go in a strait line, similar to the caster on a shopping cart. The more trail, the better strait-line stability. The other side of this is you loose the fast-turning capability desired for off-road riding. I've discovered many bush-riders and hare-scramblers prefer this increased off-set, providing faster, tighter handling in the woods.
The big beemer has always felt kinda twitchy, with the ability to change your line in the middle of a corner with min. effort. A few times i've mis-juged corners too fast, only throwing it down nice and deep, dragging the pegs on the way out. The existing trail seems to be on the minimalist side if the scale for a large street-bike. Granted, the GS does handle surprisingly well in slow twisty off-road situations. Say, ever try to let go of the handle-bars while doing 60 down the highway? Pretty scarry, huh!
I supose i could build a new triple-clamp from scratch out of billet, but i would rather not. Owning something one-of-a-kind is cool when your close to home, but sucks when your in the middle of Bolivia. KTM parts are easy to find on E-Bay and are actually quite cheap and of high quality. I only turn a custom spindle on the lathe to suit the BMW bearing size and length of steering head.
I would like to know what HPN may have changed from stock geometry, and if someone out there could comment or give me some specs, it would help me immensley in making my final decision and finally finishing this project once and for all. I'll send HPN one last letter begging for their specs, but like i said before they don't return any of my e-mails.
Thanx again...
Hi Ron,

Would you consider posting the information when you find out? I've been thinking of a similiar project on an R80 g/s. I've got a KTM 640 ADV and I love the front forks. The WP stuff is great.

Thank you

Aaron
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 01:54 PM   #7
Ron Seida OP
Adventman
 
Ron Seida's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Motor City... For now.
Oddometer: 1,247
Hello Aaron. The numbers are as follows:
Steering offset-37mm
Fork rake-27 degrees
Fork length-32"
Floor to axel-13.625"
Resulting trail-3.5"

Sorry for mixing up metric and imperial.I currently have a couple of blocks of billet aluminum in the mill and i'm machining them to this geometry. More on this later.
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:02 AM   #8
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Seida
Hello Aaron. The numbers are as follows:
Steering offset-37mm
Fork rake-27 degrees
Fork length-32"
Floor to axel-13.625"
Resulting trail-3.5"

Sorry for mixing up metric and imperial.I currently have a couple of blocks of billet aluminum in the mill and i'm machining them to this geometry. More on this later.
Thanks Ron! Keep us posted.

Aaron
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
Ron Seida OP
Adventman
 
Ron Seida's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Motor City... For now.
Oddometer: 1,247
Wicked

...Okay, here's a current up-date. The triple-clamp in almost done, just need to do some final machining and fitting the handlebars. Now i;m dealing with clearence issues with the stock front wheel and working out some brakes for the beast. I may just go with bolt-on KTM Hardparts. More on this later...

Ron Seida screwed with this post 09-18-2005 at 03:47 PM Reason: Wrong picture
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 05:24 PM   #10
Frank Warner
Traveller
 
Frank Warner's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 6,593
Some comments

Handle bar mountings- Use 4 mounting blots - not two - two will twist if given a little force.

You will also need front mud guard mounting holes. I'm using a after market one for a Honda XR650 - the guard has slots on the sides to let air flow - not on the back of the guard - so y u don't clog the cooler with mud.

I use some bicycle bidons on the back side of the forks - this gives you a bit more water and I can just reach from a sitting position when stoped and get the water bottles off if I need too.
__________________
Regards Frank Warner
motorcycles BMW R80 G/S 1981, BMW K11LT 1993, BMW K75 G/S
http://www.geocities.com/fwarner_au/
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:31 AM   #11
ozadvntr
Planning that trip, again
 
ozadvntr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Queensland, Australia
Oddometer: 1,171
I fitted a WP front end, set up for the G/S. 275mm travel. I had the swing arm lengthened 100mm and rear travel set up to match the front. Pretty happy with how it turned out. I have it stripped again strengthening the frame.

__________________
Mick
ozadvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:26 PM   #12
Ron Seida OP
Adventman
 
Ron Seida's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Motor City... For now.
Oddometer: 1,247
...nice!
Ron Seida is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014